1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol Already posted on this, straight on its lens distortion galore. I'd have to say the promo pics is what looks closest to what the figure actually looks like in hand

There's definitely lens distortion in a lot of the closeup shots, but even from a distance the mask looks too long to me.

But oh well, hopefully the 1/4 will fulfill my need for a shinier ESB/ROTJ Vader.

I only recently placed my order through Sideshow and they still have it listed as preorder. Not sure how much longer till us late to the party folks get our shipping notice.

I wonder how soon HT will preview the ROTJ Vader version seen in the Luke Jedi preview pics (that one had the ROTJ chestbox, not the ESB one)?

The three nitpicks I have with this ESB helmet so far are: teeth not angled back enough (seen in pic below vs a screen-used helmet on right,) the mouth triangle being a touch too big/vertically tall (and nose being a bit small vertically,) and the face being a bit flat from the side view. Overall though, this feels like an improvement over the ANH/RO sculpt, especially from the straight-on front view, where in some pics it looks very close to spot-on.

10sgmdw.jpg

Outstanding comparison pics, TaliBane! :clap

I agree with your three nitpicks, but I have a couple of others: the length of the nose and the orientation/angle of his eye. The HT nose is much shorter (from the profile/side), which affects total "face" depth and how much cheek sits under the eyes. And the eye starts forming the corner too soon, in a way that ends up making it shorter than it should be. Maybe that led to the cheek being too narrow (which is much more noticeable on the other cheek). In your comparison shots, the movie Vader's cheek also seems to angle back more steeply, but that might be just a camera/angle thing.

Any of the nitpicks can rightfully be dismissed as minor; and I get why people would be rolling their eyes right now. But everything taken together adds up to quite a bit for me, and gives an overall impression of a Vader helmet that just doesn't capture how ESB Vader has always looked to me for all these years. But I'm glad that so many are loving their figures, even if it's not one for me (but I did snag the chest box and belt :yess:).

Also, I expect the ROTJ announcement much sooner than the usual window between Vaders. That's probably why this figure got the early release. It'd be smart to follow up the release of Luke and the Emperor as quickly as possible with the companion Vader. At this point I'm sure the helmet will be the same, so I'm pinning my hopes on a spot-on Anakin (Sebastian Shaw) face sculpt. That scene meant the world to me as a kid, and there's no way I'd pass on a figure that would convincingly capture the moment where Luke first got to see his father.

It can't all be blamed on lens distortion...as the mask still looks off in the videos i've seen.

I agree it still doesn’t look as good in the helmet or stature/proportions.

BUT! I must say it still has a lot of presence with the base and the quality of the materials. And it looks great all posed up (a great pose can do wonders for any figure) especially with the Bespin Luke (which I’d love to get).

I was never going to purchase this as I’m waiting for my Quarter Scale. Before that was announced I was tempted as I thought HTs had abandoned that project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They will use the exact same helmet sculpt for the next Vader. Surely they designed this for a 2 for 1. Unless enough collectors let them know what they want.

the differences in the shot above are striking. I knew the eyes on the figure looked very wrong...the corners are way too high

Don't regret cancelling at all

I'm sure they'll use this sculpt for the ROTJ version so I'm very tempted by the 1:4 but it's the size holding me back and I much prefer 1:6 sculpt.

The helmet appears to be farther forward on the face in the actual film prop.

You can notice it best at the brow and the checkbones and jaw line "triangles".

Not sure if that is contributing to any "off-ness", but it's definitely there.

Outstanding comparison pics, TaliBane! :clap

I agree with your three nitpicks, but I have a couple of others: the length of the nose and the orientation/angle of his eye. The HT nose is much shorter (from the profile/side), which affects total "face" depth and how much cheek sits under the eyes. And the eye starts forming the corner too soon, in a way that ends up making it shorter than it should be. Maybe that led to the cheek being too narrow (which is much more noticeable on the other cheek). In your comparison shots, the movie Vader's cheek also seems to angle back more steeply, but that might be just a camera/angle thing.

Any of the nitpicks can rightfully be dismissed as minor; and I get why people would be rolling their eyes right now. But everything taken together adds up to quite a bit for me, and gives an overall impression of a Vader helmet that just doesn't capture how ESB Vader has always looked to me for all these years. But I'm glad that so many are loving their figures, even if it's not one for me (but I did snag the chest box and belt :yess:).

Also, I expect the ROTJ announcement much sooner than the usual window between Vaders. That's probably why this figure got the early release. It'd be smart to follow up the release of Luke and the Emperor as quickly as possible with the companion Vader. At this point I'm sure the helmet will be the same, so I'm pinning my hopes on a spot-on Anakin (Sebastian Shaw) face sculpt. That scene meant the world to me as a kid, and there's no way I'd pass on a figure that would convincingly capture the moment where Luke first got to see his father.

Well said, that sentence in bold sums it up for me. All the little stuff adds up to something that is very noticeably off with the helmet to my eyes. I know there were inaccuracies with the ANH mask, but they aren't nearly as drastic as the ones on the ESB, at least to me anyway.

It's still a very nice looking figure overall, and if it was all we had the option of getting, I would jump on it. Glad you guys that have him are enjoying it!

Is there a tried and true way to wipe/shine the dome. Fingerprints, amiright?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if I had to go with a top 5, I’d probably go with:

- ANH Vader
- Reeve Superman
- Captain Kirk
- Predator
-

That last fifth spot would be difficult to choose. It’d be a toss up between TFA Captain America, Keaton Batman, RotJ Luke Skywalker, or Egon Spengler.

That quarter scale is very tempting, but 1st, it's big and I have planned my collection on sixth scale.

Is there a tried and true way to wipe/shine the dome. Fingerprints, amiright?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Microfiber cloth like the ones that come with your sunglasses or regular glasses for us 4-eyed folk. That’s what I’ve been using on all my glossy black figures - started with the Shadow Trooper. Plus I wash my hands before handling figures. Never after a couple slices of pizza ;)

And that too :D But the most important reason that make me hesitate is that I don't enjoy different scale of figures together.

I only recently placed my order through Sideshow and they still have it listed as preorder. Not sure how much longer till us late to the party folks get our shipping notice.

I ordered mine and Jedi Luke on Monday from sideshow and they arrived today. Took less time than I thought to get them in.

Back