1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently futzing. In my head I know its plastic and thread, but man does the sheer quality of materials feel convincing, its almost as if I should order white curator gloves :lol

Has a bit of weight to it too, so he wont fall over standing straight if you suddenly look hard at him.

Although I have my custom ESB Vader, I'm glad everyone has a chance to get a very nice looking figure pretty much straight out of the box. The presentation with the Bespin display is top notch, and the paint work looks absolutely flawless. The figure is undoubtedly short, and a little stumpy looking. but in my mind this is ok since it actually looks like Bob Anderson in the Vader costume, who did the majority of the fight scenes in ESB. So with that in mind its a great Bob Anderson version of Vader. Of course if you are looking for a Dave Proswe ESB Vader, porting the ESB parts onto any of the ANH or RO Vader bodies should do the trick.

Just a thought.

BOBBY

I can't relate to any criticism of this figure. Such a spectacular addition to my collection. And I noticed that if I shine my phone light on the helmet, the lenses are slightly reddish. This is the crown jewel of my collection.

Vader2.jpg
Vader1.jpg

Although I have my custom ESB Vader, I'm glad everyone has a chance to get a very nice looking figure pretty much straight out of the box. The presentation with the Bespin display is top notch, and the paint work looks absolutely flawless. The figure is undoubtedly short, and a little stumpy looking. but in my mind this is ok since it actually looks like Bob Anderson in the Vader costume, who did the majority of the fight scenes in ESB. So with that in mind its a great Bob Anderson version of Vader. Of course if you are looking for a Dave Proswe ESB Vader, porting the ESB parts onto any of the ANH or RO Vader bodies should do the trick.

Just a thought.

BOBBY

I think you hit it on the nail there.

Whether it was intentional or not, or maybe they referenced Bob Anderson as Vader by accident...

af0e60725c98ae0eff6657d29ad24836.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a thought.

BOBBY

:lol

Best backhanded post ever.

You like your Vaders giant I see. 1/6th Vader should be 13.25 inches. No more, no less. I know my ANH v1 HT Vader is too tall -- I believe about 13.5" or 13.75" (I forget which at the moment). I know RO is way off because its taller, and the v2 is the same body as the v1 so should be about the same incorrect height. This ESB Vader looks to be the correct height relative to height of other figures. That's not to say that the parts might be slightly oversized as they could be scaled for the larger bodies of the previous Vaders.

You like your Vaders giant I see.

Hahah I know. What a *****! Joking btw

But I do agree that it really lacks the stature of David Prowse. It's all what you like. The Hot Toys is amazing looking but isn't the be all end all Vader that it could have been.

You like your Vaders giant I see. 1/6th Vader should be 13.25 inches. No more, no less. I know my ANH v1 HT Vader is too tall -- I believe about 13.5" or 13.75" (I forget which at the moment). I know RO is way off because its taller, and the v2 is the same body as the v1 so should be about the same incorrect height. This ESB Vader looks to be the correct height relative to height of other figures. That's not to say that the parts might be slightly oversized as they could be scaled for the larger bodies of the previous Vaders.

Why yes I do. In fact my Vader is now a full 14" of xenomorph smacking authority. Nobody tells Vader what do do in my cabinet.

Height wise the ESB Vader looks in line with Bespin Luke, a good thing. So my posting is about personal preference. Nothing more. Move along....move along....

BOBBY

Last edited:
Yeah given how oversized the armor is on these figures, I think they kind of have to be taller for the proportions to still work. I've tried shortening mine to 13.25 before and it just looked off.

Nothing wrong with the size or proportions of this Vader I think, standing next to my screen proportions look spot on. I think the previous hot toys Vaders as well as the sideshow one is taller, so next to them he will naturally look short. Next to another 1:6 figure this one looks right to me.

Vader was tall and imposing, but he was not pushing 7 feet almost into Chewie territory.. tho I admit that would been kinda cool if he did!

ps when you futz this take off the dome every time - I held mine horizontal and the sheer weight of the cape loosened the dome when the fabric rested on the lower dome edge. Dome sits good if you secure it but the cloak fabric is surprisingly heavy.

The stand also has a very nice melted and scorched effect on the cut off masts.

Random pics while futzing

20180828_143933.jpg
20180828_145103.jpg
20180828_144435.jpg

The height on this new figure definitely seems more accurate than previous 1/6 Vaders. I guess it wouldn't matter if not posing with other figures, though.

As far as proportions go, I think the Bob Anderson comparisons make a lot of sense.

I think you hit it on the nail there.

Whether it was intentional or not, or maybe they referenced Bob Anderson as Vader by accident...

af0e60725c98ae0eff6657d29ad24836.jpg

The ESB figure does seem to have more of a "sunken" look to the costume like the Bob Anderson Vader there in bebe13junior's post. Maybe adding some padding to the torso underneath the suit will help bulk it out enough to give that Prowse barrell-chested look that we're all used to.

When some of the customizers here get their hands on this figure, there'll be a lot of incredible modifications to the costume that will get it closer to the proportions seen here.

VaderFettCC01.jpg

Posing him with Fett like this, for instance, would make the height accuracy more important. The body proportions would then be the next thing to consider. Looking forward to seeing how the eventual modifications will change the overall presentation of the figure. And, btw, I love the F'd up crown on that Stormtrooper's helmet. Maybe Vader gave him a good swat to work out some frustration. :lol

Great pictures from RegJr and rayeknor, but looks like Vader could use a little heft to his chest for sure. Unless you can bent his torso in a way to force it more outward.

RegJr 8-28-18  (2).jpgrayeknor 8-28-18  (3) .jpg

Didn't v1 Vader have a fatsuit? Maybe we found a use for it. If not, I know what I'm doing with my ESB Fett fatsuit.

Great pictures from RegJr and rayeknor, but looks like Vader could use a little heft to his chest for sure. Unless you can bent his torso in a way to force it more outward.

Didn't v1 Vader have a fatsuit? Maybe we found a use for it. If not, I know what I'm doing with my ESB Fett fatsuit.

A fatsuit might work great! I don't think v1 had an actual fatsuit; but the bodysuit itself was really thick. I'd like to know how this new suit is constructed, and how it's different. Just another thing to look for when stuff starts getting parted out.

The thinner profile of the chest was spotlighted effectively in the video that justinscollection posted.

VadersComps02.jpg

That's the ESB next to the ANHv1.

Just smuggled lord Vader into the house. Now, I can’t wait for the wife to go to bed so I set up Vader.

I have to give props to the Unreal Customs cape......its unreal! [emoji4] If you wrap the cape wire around the neck peg, the head can still articulate freely, on my custom Sideshow ROTJ Ver.2 Vader with modified Rogue One helmet.

"Join me, and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son!"

BOBBY

Awesome! :clap

i do not understand the critics....just got mine. its perfect. in every way. the last vader i will ever need.

y'all are some picky ass MF'ers

Not a flaw? Do any of your figures have any? :lol

I got him this morning and he looks amazing to me. I have the ANH V2, Rogue One, and now the ESB version and to me this guy is my favorite. Some might say the dome is a little too big but it doesn't bother me. The only real problem I have with it is that the dome is somewhat easy to come off. While I was futzing with the figure it came off a couple times. So what I would do is take the dome off while you're futzing with him then once you're satisfied put the dome back on, just in case. This one is the first one I've put batteries in and it's not too bad of an experience getting them in. And the chest box looks great lit up. I also love the base. Overall if you're on the fence about him I wouldn't hesitate. Not sure why the pics are sideways but oh well lol.

View attachment 424388

View attachment 424389

Looks good, even sideways

Agreed. The futzing skills of the folks here go a long way. The MarfMaster photos are proof of that (but it took me a while to even notice Vader because I was too busy being blown away by Luke's lightsaber; Holy **** that looks awesome!).

And I like almost every costume piece on the Vader figure except for the helmet. I'm hoping to see someone eventually pull the tunic back away from the chest box to simulate the look below.

View attachment 424430
(And swap out the helmet.) :monkey3

Suit material looks like Sideshow V1 there, lived in. Also looks like he weirdly has the Rogue One diaper cod piece.

Because he wants it so badly.... so very badly.... he squirms in his skin.... he fears it will become everyone's go-to Vader...

Yes, no one wants to be left out of the herd.

Well, I'll be . . .

View attachment 424455

I guess it's true!

:lol WTF?!

Back