1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah your 100% right about the nose. And it should meet the eyes higher and that's why the eyes are the wrong shape

The upper mouth grill triangle is also too "long"

Now that I see these 3 pics side by side there's starting to be a lot little things wrong

I’m lucky I don’t have OCD to the point where I notice this stuff, such as dome height on a 1/6 scale figure. Or I just don’t give a **** about details that minute. :lol

One of the two.

I noticed the small nose but didn’t think it was that pronounced. It’s always two step forward and one back. I still think that might be preferable to the nose plug.

I’m lucky I don’t have OCD to the point where I notice this stuff, such as dome height on a 1/6 scale figure. Or I just don’t give a **** about details that minute. :lol

One of the two.

With me, it doesn't start with looking for minor things that are inaccurate. If the first glance says, "hey that's a great likeness," then I don't bother looking for what may be off. But in the case of this Vader, it started with an immediate "nope, that's not right" as soon as I saw the first promo pics. Only then did I start looking for what specific features may be causing it to not look like movie Vader to me. The over-analysis is the second half, and only comes after a quick overview that gave an impression of inaccuracy.

I never even bothered to scrutinize HT Stormtroopers, or Tamashi C-3PO, or ANH Leia head sculpt, or Praetorian Guards. All of those gave me an immediate impression that they looked like the movie version. So, I don't care if there are inaccuracies (because every figure has some) with those because they are convincing enough to me right from the get-go. Not so with Vader; not any of the HT ones, and not any of the SSC ones. Now, the new HT 1/4 Vader . . . that's a different story.

53558783452b6b115c5ec962fa277737.jpg

1ea22007895414d86f113dd063005fce.jpg

4e57431f2919c6ae3f60ee29e4d086d1.jpg

Too bad they couldn't have shrunk this beaut down to sixth scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With me, it doesn't start with looking for minor things that are inaccurate. If the first glance says, "hey that's a great likeness," then I don't bother looking for what may be off. But in the case of this Vader, it started with an immediate "nope, that's not right" as soon as I saw the first promo pics. Only then did I start looking for what specific features may be causing it to not look like movie Vader to me. The over-analysis is the second half, and only comes after a quick overview that gave an impression of inaccuracy.

EXACTLY

As it stands now now just shaving off the widows peak for RotJ 1:6 won't do. They'd have to re-do the entire head sculpt for me to even consider it

So 2 buying questions remain for me:

Is it enough of an improvement over the Rogue One/ANH vader? (I'd say yes so far)
Will they just re-use this head for RotJ of make a completely new one or scale down the perfect 1:4 headsculpt ? (if they use the same head might as well get this one)

I hesitate to suggest things to add to the list because some here seem to be getting really irritated with criticisms, but one thing I think might be agreed upon by most is that the nose is too small (both in height and width).

Below is a cropped and rotated helmet pic from one of the shots posted yesterday, with an ESB movie helmet from the Costumes book on the left and a grainy shot of movie Vader on the right. I'd love to use a higher-quality photo of the helmet from a movie capture, but I don't have a better straight-ahead shot without the head turning slightly more to one side or the other.

View attachment 423800

I think the undersized nose is pretty clear, but I'll let everyone else dispute that if they feel like it.

Yeah not to keep harping on the size of the mouth... but that definitely makes clear just how large and incorrectly shaped the HT one is. Which is what jumps out at me more than anything else.

And actually after studying the 1/4 helmet some more, they made the mouth on that far too symmetrical as well (which becomes apparent when you flip the image), but they did at least get the basic size right, which is the more important thing.

EXACTLY

As it stands now ow just shaving off the widows peak for RotJ 1:6 won't do. They'd have to re-do the entire head sculpt for me to even consider it

So 2 buying questions remain for me:

Is it enough of an improvement over the rogue One Vader?
Will they just re-use this head for RotJ of make a completely new one or scale down the 1:4 model ? (if they use the same head might as well get this one)

I actually really liked the Rogue One version.
I had nothing but praise for that figure when it came out (I don't own it but can admire a decent piece when I see one).

And yes immediately to my eye when glancing at reveal pics I wasn't impressed by the ESB version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I’m still sticking to my original plan of passing on this one and waiting for the RotJ version. To me that should hopefully be the definitive Vader. This looks decent but I can see some of the complaints people have with the sculpt. If anyone doesn’t want their base I’d consider buying just that.

Hmm, I have this on pre-0rder and paid 20% to KG hobbies. This comparison picture is almost a deal breaker now that I see all the small details that are off. For the first time I'm not sure if I'll cancel or not.

I know It won't be definitive and I'll have to buy another when the "perfect" one comes out . The fact that it's 300$ doesn't help the case of getting something temporary

Hmm, I have this on pre-0rder and paid 20% to KG hobbies. This comparison picture is almost a deal breaker now that I see all the small details that are off. For the first time I'm not sure if I'll cancel or not now

You could wait to get it in hand and see how it looks to you then. If you like it enough, you're good. If you don't like it, maybe you could sell it (or sell parts) and take less of a financial hit. Lots of options.

Of all the pictures so far it looks good when Vader is posed and viewed from an angle. When the face is viewed straight on it doesn't look so good

The widows peak issue and tusk angle doesn't affect the overall look, but the various inaccurate facial features do (nose, eyes,mouth grill)

In the “keep” shot he looks great. In that sense it’s not much different than the ANH in my opinion. That has its share of bad angles as well.

Back