1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what?s always bothered me about what I?ve seen of EU Vader and the RO scene.

Those guys are *beneath* him. He doesn?t need to engage them in melee combat.

That scene where takes their blasters? He could have done that while simultaneously pinning and/or choking them to get the plans.

It is what it is...but less is more with Vader. He?s not a Terminator. He?s something much worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on.

Vader is a dark entity that you don't want to mess up with.

Perfect. One of the best, if not best Vader scenes is in a new hope when the guy mocks Vader and the Force, and then you just hear that deep bass rumble and the guy is being invisibly murdered by Vader. Then Vader cuts him loose at the last second. EPIC.

Got mine in today. So damn let down. Arrived with 2 major issues. A broken tusk on his left one and the base doesn?t light up like it should. It?s going back to sideshow. Sucks cause it?s now on the waitlist so not sure they can replace it. Shame cause it?s so damn amazing. I?ve had bad luck lately with HT. First scarlet spider now this

Update. Sideshow already got back in touch with me, sending a full replacement

Last edited:
Hello there, Rbeato!

Sorry to hear that about your problems with your Vader. I hope that HT sends you a new one and everything turns out fine! I wanted to DM about what I'm about to say next but your inbox was full so here it goes (maybe someone else can help me as well)!

I had a problem with one tusk as well. I bought my own MMS 452 (my first figure ever, I've waited for this for about 10 years!) and two months ago one tusk simply fell and now it's gone missing.

72729783_2528453037235140_8733546147915759616_n.jpg

It's been basically a year since I bought it so I have no warranty anymore and I don't want to buy a whole new head sculpt on eBay just because of this (I'm from Brazil and everything gets priced thrice once it crosses the border, not even mentioning my currency which is a fifth of a dollar).

As you're sending yours back to HT, I wondered: would you sell me the other tusk of your figure (or even the broken one, if it's not that broken)? I know it's ridiculous to send a 1mm piece of plastic across the globe, but no worries, I would pay good money in advance for it, the shipping costs and everything. I've been looking for various ways to replace it but it's turned out to be quite hard. If anyone else has another suggestion I'd be more than welcome.

Anyway, this is my first post here and I just wanted to say I'm quite happy and proud to be finally a part of this community.
Thank you everybody in advance.

MTFBWYA

P_Petrus, I?m sorry to hear about your Vader. Seems these tusks are known to break off which is a shame because the figure itself is amazing. Sideshow made me send the figure back with all pieces yesterday so I no longer have the little broken tusk. My best advice since it?s been a year since you?ve bought yours is the expensive option of sourcing a replacement head online like ebay. It might take a while to find one but you will for a decent price eventually.

i was lucky to grab one off of TA a few weeks ago. just had a hunch and figure i would go over and take a look and there it was so i snatched it up quickly.

yeah that 1/4 scale looks awesome but too rich for my poor working A** BLOOD. you still use the old kaiyodo helmet still? i still think it looks better then the HT esb mask

I see you did the same dome mod I did, Matrix. I still need to make the nose drop down a bit longer... I forgot which freak did that and it made the mouth grill appear a bit smaller.

The 1/4 scale looks cool but don't the arms, gloves, codpiece and chest armor seem a bit small in comparison to the helmet and rest of figure? The helmet almost seem like a slightly larger scale than the rest of the fig. Maybe it's just a bit of lens distortion.

And the 1/4 helmet looks to have the same too-small button nose the 1/6 ESB helmet has - did they use elements of that 1/6 sculpt on the 1/4 or is it 100% a new sculpt?

I see you did the same done mod I did, Matrix. I still need to make the nose drop down a bit longer... I forgot which freak did that and it made the mouth grill appear a bit smaller.

Not sure if you mean mine - I extended the nose on my 1/6 ESB Vader down a bit to bring the mouth more into proportion.

Not sure if you mean mine - I extended the nose on my 1/6 ESB Vader down a bit to bring the mouth more into proportion.

Yeah that must be yours. Great mod and those couple mm does so much. I say to myself I?m gonna do it soon every time I look at mine... one of these days.

Yeah that must be yours. Great mod and those couple mm does so much. I say to myself I?m gonna do it soon every time I look at mine... one of these days.

This is a close up. It doesn't fix the other inaccuracies (even someone with Matrix's supreme skills I'm not sure could fix the issues with the upper eyes and cheeks) but to me it fixes the key visual imbalance that catches your eye the most.

The only other thing I planned to do but didn't was to widen the stepped strip between the eyes - I could never figure out if it's actually too narrow or just the angles on the side of it make it appear too narrow.

Qkhq4FJ.jpg

i think it`s missing that vor y shapes between the bridge on both sides under his eyes lids i think. wonder if that would get rid of that bug eyed look.

Last edited:
I contemplated cutting the upper part of the facemask to extend the height of the eyes a bit, but the angle of the eyebrow line is off too, not just the vertical height of the eye lenses.

Even maybe just blacking out those upper "eyebrow" rim lines above the eye lenses (so letting the "eyebrows" of the dome take over) might help. To me those upper high gloss eyebrows on the top of the eye lenses make the eyes a bit too small.

I do think widening that stepped strip between the eyes would help also. It needs to be more dominant. I was going to insert two thin strips of styrene and paint them gunmetal.

I stopped work on this thinking that TooMuchgarlic's Vader helmet was coming really soon (so little point trying to futz HT helmets - as they are overall slightly too large anyway) but that project just seems to stay in the slow lane. Maybe I should revisit this helmet. I do like the HT ESB Vader overall - it has more Vader vibes than the ANH versions, even if the ANH sculpt has less (or at least easier to fix) inaccuracies.

yeah that 1/4 scale looks awesome but too rich for my poor working A** BLOOD. you still use the old kaiyodo helmet still? i still think it looks better then the HT esb mask
While not perfect the old Kaiyodo has more right than wrong with it...whereas the HT Empire is a bit of a mess and looks more like a ROTS/EMPIRE hybrid...
Lets hope HT scale down the 1/4 for the inevitable 1/6 ROTJ version...
The 1/4 scale looks cool but don't the arms, gloves, codpiece and chest armor seem a bit small in comparison to the helmet and rest of figure? The helmet almost seem like a slightly larger scale than the rest of the fig. Maybe it's just a bit of lens distortion.

And the 1/4 helmet looks to have the same too-small button nose the 1/6 ESB helmet has - did they use elements of that 1/6 sculpt on the 1/4 or is it 100% a new sculpt?

Nose is too small alright and along with the tusk/tubing are my only real gripes...but everything else is so well executed and is the most accurate yet in figure scale...

I contemplated cutting the upper part of the facemask to extend the height of the eyes a bit, but the angle of the eyebrow line is off too, not just the vertical height of the eye lenses.

Even maybe just blacking out those upper "eyebrow" rim lines above the eye lenses (so letting the "eyebrows" of the dome take over) might help. To me those upper high gloss eyebrows on the top of the eye lenses make the eyes a bit too small.

I do think widening that stepped strip between the eyes would help also. It needs to be more dominant. I was going to insert two thin strips of styrene and paint them gunmetal.

I stopped work on this thinking that TooMuchgarlic's Vader helmet was coming really soon (so little point trying to futz HT helmets - as they are overall slightly too large anyway) but that project just seems to stay in the slow lane. Maybe I should revisit this helmet. I do like the HT ESB Vader overall - it has more Vader vibes than the ANH versions, even if the ANH sculpt has less (or at least easier to fix) inaccuracies.

got any references photos of the parts of the eyes your referring to do modds too i would like to do that as well. because it`s those bug eyes that kill this sculpt

i`m starting too like my esb vader now. i did some work to the mask i resculpted the eye brows widen the the bridge on both sides of the nose. did my best with enlarging the nose plug. i think with those fixes he actually looks a heck a lot better. took care of those bug eye look. i customized an extra body gave him the top half of the RO vader and the lower half of ANH. but still managed to give him the arms off of the ANH vader body which i had to do some work to get them to fit nothing pretty. take a photo soon.

Back