1:6 figures - as good as they look?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the topic creator: That being said, some of the recent releases from Sideshow are hit and miss when it comes to how good they are and quality. I'd suggest if you're worried about the final product, wait until it gets released and then buy it after seeing pictures or videos from collectors. Then you should form your own opinion on how good it looks and not let anyone tell you different. You may find that the figure looks good but the owner of it is nitpicking it which happens too much on this forum. Some people here seem to be turned off by things they consider inaccurate about the figure and forget that it is a toy rather than a shrunken down costume from the movie. I've seen plenty of great looking figures that people claim are terrible because of some slight issue with the sculpt or costume that isn't exactly as it looks in a movie.

I understand. I saw a video of a review of the Stormtrooper PF figure and it was said there was an inaccuracy with the helmet. Looked perfect to me. I'm more worried about paint jobs, and if all the clothes stitching is really that good. Since these are essentially small mannequins with clothing and armor, I expect to have to straighten out some things out of box. But if the painting sucks, or if the clothes or armor are damaged, that would be a major bummer. But I have to imagine that SS has a return policy.

For the most part with the sideshow figures a soaking of the cloths and a bit if time posing the figure has made me mostly happy with them at the time. Some have dated more then others overtime.

The hottoys are good to go out of the box and my oldest still holds it's ground with my most recent purchases

For the most part with the sideshow figures a soaking of the cloths and a bit if time posing the figure has made me mostly happy with them at the time. Some have dated more then others overtime.

The hottoys are good to go out of the box and my oldest still holds it's ground with my most recent purchases

Interesting. Could you elaborate on the soaking of the clothes?

To kl241: I wasn't trying to start something with you. I just felt that telling someone new to the world of collecting 1/6 that all Sideshow pieces are bad was unfair to them when there are plenty of good Sideshow pieces out there. I would agree with anyone who said Hot Toys in general look better, but there are still Sideshow figures that look really good too. Hot Toys figures aren't always great either. It seems like both companies have had good and bad figures, but Hot Toys has fewer bad figures than Sideshow.

sithgorilla: Have you looked at the Sideshow Snowtrooper from The Empire Strikes Back? The Snowtrooper is one of my favorite troops from Star Wars as well. I just bought the Sideshow Snowtrooper. It will be arriving in the mail today according to the USPS tracking. It is a little bit of an older figure that has gone up in price some. I think I paid close to $200 for it, which I believe is around $50 higher than it originally sold for, but it is out of print. I've heard a lot of good things about the figure and I can't wait to see it in person.

Run for your life mate! As soon as you pick up one of those Star Wars figures, you're gonna want them all!

Looks like TFA is going to bring a bunch of new people into the hobby.

sithgorilla: Have you looked at the Sideshow Snowtrooper from The Empire Strikes Back? The Snowtrooper is one of my favorite troops from Star Wars as well. I just bought the Sideshow Snowtrooper. It will be arriving in the mail today according to the USPS tracking. It is a little bit of an older figure that has gone up in price some. I think I paid close to $200 for it, which I believe is around $50 higher than it originally sold for, but it is out of print. I've heard a lot of good things about the figure and I can't wait to see it in person.

I have looked at that. I checked out some review videos on YouTube for both the regular and premium version. Where did you end up getting it from? Is there a good resource out there to find out of print figures like these besides eBay?
Oh, and please let me know your impressions of it when you get it. I'm interested to hear how you like it.

Run for your life mate! As soon as you pick up one of those Star Wars figures, you're gonna want them all!

Looks like TFA is going to bring a bunch of new people into the hobby.

LOL! Yeah, you may be right about that. But I think I can keep it in check. In the mid 90's I took up collecting Star Wars again with the Hasbro stuff. I bought everything and after 10 years had a ridiculously large collection. I got rid of it all and was much better for it. Now being 45 years old, I just want select high quality pieces. My collecting tastes have certainly refined. There are particular character designs that I'm deeply in love with and I will focus on those (can't wait to see the upcoming AT-AT Driver).
And yes, I also believe that TFA will get more people into this. The updated designs are great and it seems like the movies are getting back to that Star Wars feel.

I have looked at that. I checked out some review videos on YouTube for both the regular and premium version. Where did you end up getting it from? Is there a good resource out there to find out of print figures like these besides eBay?
Oh, and please let me know your impressions of it when you get it. I'm interested to hear how you like it.
9b1b8f5bd3ecaccb362eac8bf419e551.jpg

Hot Toys stormtrooper, sideshow snowie, 1st Sideshow Vader in the background.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Those look really nice. Thanks for the pic. Definitely digging the Snowtrooper.
The figure is great, for the original price! Last year a load came up on ebay from China for the original price. But they now seem to go for a lot more on ebay.

It "may" be worth waiting for a hot toys version if it comes out in soon. As it would probably be better, as you can see in TFA snow trooper.

I'm like you in wanting these better high end figures, but the prices are really going up.
I paid 144 for hot toys stormtrooper earlier this year, but newer figures are all 200+ now😕 it's getting very expensive and I'm having to be very selective to what I can get/afford.

That's not the original Snowtrooper base is it?
No it's Hoth Luke base! I changed it as the Hot Toys stormtrooper base is a lot thicker than the sideshow one so they are of more equal height. Snow trooper base below with Luke

bf46744d59ec743c2bbff4d97cac2f1f.jpg

The figure is great, for the original price! Last year a load came up on ebay from China for the original price. But they now seem to go for a lot more on ebay.

It "may" be worth waiting for a hot toys version if it comes out in soon. As it would probably be better, as you can see in TFA snow trooper.

I'm like you in wanting these better high end figures, but the prices are really going up.
I paid 144 for hot toys stormtrooper earlier this year, but newer figures are all 200+ now😕 it's getting very expensive and I'm having to be very selective to what I can get/afford.

Yeah I checked eBay and they are around $250. But Amazon has it for $191 with free shipping from Hong Kong. So I might jump on that.
I think if HT does a version it will be a while. And if/when they do I can figure out if I want to upgrade.
I have to be selective also. Thankfully I'm only into certain types of troopers. So there should only be about 2, maybe 3 figures a year that I would want. Which is doable.

LOL! Yeah, you may be right about that. But I think I can keep it in check. In the mid 90's I took up collecting Star Wars again with the Hasbro stuff. I bought everything and after 10 years had a ridiculously large collection. I got rid of it all and was much better for it. Now being 45 years old, I just want select high quality pieces. My collecting tastes have certainly refined. There are particular character designs that I'm deeply in love with and I will focus on those (can't wait to see the upcoming AT-AT Driver).
And yes, I also believe that TFA will get more people into this. The updated designs are great and it seems like the movies are getting back to that Star Wars feel.
You've definitely come into the hobby at a good time. Hot Toys really make some amazing figures and I think this TFA line is going to be beautiful.

I do think less is more when collecting these figures. A nice focused collection on display will look fabulous.

I'm sure you're going to love the first figure you receive. I would often visit comic stores just to look at their displays of figures that I didn't own. They really are beautiful to look at in person.

Welcome Sithgorilla. To answer your question, I've found that SS figures are very much hit and miss and since moving over to Hot Toys (all of my SS stuff has gone) the gulf in quality is considerable. Some of the HT figures I have are simply jaw-dropping. The facial sculpts in particular are like nothing I've seen elsewhere. The pose-ability, outfits and accessories are generally of a quality that few if any can match. What doesn't make sense but is very much true is that HT figures always look better in the flesh. I've learnt how to pose photograph them well to make them look their best but many cameras, especially mobile phone cameras have an annoying fisheye lens effect which really detracts from how the figure actually looks. Be careful though, this is an extremely expensive and addictive thing to get into!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my Sideshow Snowtrooper. I couldn't be happier with it. It looks really nice and I like the different materials they used on the figure. The mask part of the helmet is a soft rubbery material that sits well on the figure and moves with the head. I like how it looks kind of dirty towards the lower half of the figure instead of pure white. The hands for this figure are different than most. They are a softer rubbery material. Most hands are a little more rigid. The material they chose conveys the look of the gloves perfectly. My only complaint is the Snowtrooper has trouble holding onto his gun with 1 hand when you are trying to pose him. Once he is posed and sitting still it isn't an issue. So as far as looks god, everything on this figure is magnificent. I wish they would have included a waist grabber stand for the figure. I normally prefer the crotch grabber stands, but this time the stand gets in the way. The skirt of the figure has to go over the stand and this causes it to get pulled outward a little in the back. It isn't a lot, but it would have been nice to be able to futz the skirt part better after the figure was on the stand.

I got my Sideshow Snowtrooper. I couldn't be happier with it. It looks really nice and I like the different materials they used on the figure. The mask part of the helmet is a soft rubbery material that sits well on the figure and moves with the head. I like how it looks kind of dirty towards the lower half of the figure instead of pure white. The hands for this figure are different than most. They are a softer rubbery material. Most hands are a little more rigid. The material they chose conveys the look of the gloves perfectly. My only complaint is the Snowtrooper has trouble holding onto his gun with 1 hand when you are trying to pose him. Once he is posed and sitting still it isn't an issue. So as far as looks god, everything on this figure is magnificent. I wish they would have included a waist grabber stand for the figure. I normally prefer the crotch grabber stands, but this time the stand gets in the way. The skirt of the figure has to go over the stand and this causes it to get pulled outward a little in the back. It isn't a lot, but it would have been nice to be able to futz the skirt part better after the figure was on the stand.

Awesome man! So glad to hear it. Where did you end up buying it from?

Awesome man! So glad to hear it. Where did you end up buying it from?
I bought it from a Japanese site called Plamoya. I bought the last one they had though. The Japanese sellers on Amazon seem like they have around the same prices though.

I bought it from a Japanese site called Plamoya. I bought the last one they had though. The Japanese sellers on Amazon seem like they have around the same prices though.

Yeah. I'm worried about it not coming in the box. They don't seem to have pictures of the box.

Yeah. I'm worried about it not coming in the box. They don't seem to have pictures of the box.
Other than eBay, retailers rarely show a picture of the box. If it is listed as new on Amazon then it should have the original box. I looked at Amazon and there are just generic pictures that were used on Sideshow's site originally.

Back