1/6 DID D80172 Otto Skorzeny

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asta

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
d1.jpg
d2.jpg
d3.jpg
d4.jpg
d5.jpg
d6.jpg
d7.jpg
d8.jpg
d9.jpg
d10.jpg
d11.jpg
d12.jpg
d13.jpg
d14.jpg
d15.jpg
d16.jpg
d17.jpg
d18.jpg
d19.jpg
d20.jpg
d21.jpg
d22.jpg
d23.jpg
d24.jpg
d25.jpg
d26.jpg
d27.jpg
d28.jpg
d29.jpg

Brief Introduction​

Otto Skorzeny, who commanded Operation Oak, was known as “The Most Dangerous Man in Europe”. His 1/6 action figure is available for pre-order now!

He is immortalized with a lifelike headsculpt featuring his distinctive honor that stretches from his chin to his ear across the left cheek, said to be a remnant of a fencing duel during his university days. His lightly furrowed brows, focused and alert eyes, tightly closed mouth, and the serious, tense expression speak volumes.

In line with Skorzeny’s height, we have specially lengthened the body of this 1/6 scale figure to make the figure more proportionate to the real person.

The clothing, tailored to fit the elongated body, includes a classic WWII German M36 uniform, a white collared shirt, and breeches, complemented by an officer’s visor cap or a German helmet, and black real-leather boots. He can also be outfitted in a German Luftwaffe tropical sand field tunic, matching tropical shirt and tropical pants, topped with a tropical side cap, and black real-leather short boots. All garments are meticulously crafted, allowing you to dress Skorzeny in different outfits according to various scenarios.

In terms of weaponry, Skorzeny comes with a P38 pistol in a genuine leather holster, as well as an MP40 submachine gun with five bullets. The P38 pistol is known for its precision at various shooting distances, while the compact and powerful MP40, with its low recoil, offers unmatched accuracy and precision in sustained fire within its effective range.

As for accessories, he is equipped with an MP40 magazine pouch, binoculars, a genuine-leather map case, and a cigarette. There are also various exquisitely crafted metal medals.

How could you miss out on this “Most Dangerous Man in Europe” during World War II? Add this exceptionally skilled special forces leader to your German army collection now!

Full Part List​

Base
1 Headsculpt
2 1:6 HG Body (Slim Taller Ver.)
3 Left Palm X 3 + Right Palm X 3

Outfits
4 German Officers Visor Cap
5 German Luftwaffe Tropical Side Cap for Officer
6 German Helmet with Inner Lliner
7 M36 Uniform
8 Breech
9 White Shirt
10 German Luftwaffe Tropical Sand Field Tunic
11 German Luftwaffe Tropical Trousers
12 German Luftwaffe Tropical Shirt
13 Tie
14 Black belt (genuine leather)
15 Brown Belt (genuine leather)
16 Grey Gloves
17 Black Jackboots (genuine leather)
18 Black short boots (genuine leather)

Accessories:
19 MP40 magazine pouch X 1
20 Map Case
21 Binoculars
22 Watch
23 Cigarette X 1

Weapon
24 P38 pistol with holster (genuine leather)
25 MP40 submachine gun + magazine X 2 + Bullet X 5

Insignia:
26 SS Sturmbannführer Shoulder Boards X 1 pair ( with 4 golden rank stars)
27 Hauptmann Shoulder Boards X 1 pair
28 Collar tab x 3 ( SS Obersturmbannführer collar tab x 1, SS Sturmbannführer collar tab X 1, SS collar tab x 1)
29 Arm Patch x 1
30 Breast Eagle x 1
31 Iron Cross First Class 1939 x 1
32 DRL Sport Badge in Sliver x 1
33 Wound Badge in Silver x 1
34 General Assault Badge in Silver x 1
35 German Cross in Gold X 1
36 Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross x 1
37 Ribbon Bar x 1
38 Cuff Title x 1

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-567-1503C-15,_Gran_Sasso,_Mussolini_vor_Hotel.jpg

I've been waiting for DID to make a Gran Sasso Skorzeny, because my Dragon version is long gone.

Photos from WorthPoint:

DML Otto.jpg
DML Otto2.jpg

It's a shame they didn't add a second sculpt as they did with Galland, because this is practically two entire uniforms. For completeness he's only short of a holster, but that could be left off either figure.

On the other hand it could warrant two sets to get two full figures on their correct tall bodies (he was 6' 4"), and use the extras to make other non-Otto figures, except that they tailored them to the taller body.

In line with Skorzeny’s height, we have specially lengthened the body of this 1/6 scale figure to make the figure more proportionate to the real person.

The clothing, tailored to fit the elongated body...

It took a few searches to get the dates of Skorzeny's promotions, in order to decide which insignia to use on the feldgrau uniform:

30.01.1939 SS-Untersturmführer
01.02.1940 SS-Schütze (SS-Verfügungstruppe)
01.05.1940 SS-Unterscharführer der Waffen-SS
01.09.1940 SS-Oberscharführer der Waffen-SS
30.01.1941 SS-Untersturmführer d. R. der Waffen-SS
20.04.1941 SS-Obersturmführer d. R. der Waffen-SS
28.04.1943 SS-Hauptsturmführer d. R. der Waffen-SS
12.09.1943 SS-Sturmbannführer d. R. der Waffen-SS
16.10.1944 SS-Obersturmbannführer d. R. der Waffen-SS
20.04.1945 SS-Standartenführer d. R. der Waffen-SS

(d. R. = der Reserve / of the Reserve)

There's some interesting points in this thesis about Skorzeny's involvement in the Gran Sasso Raid (Operation Oak/Eiche):

OTTO SKORZENY AND THE REAL CONDUCT OF UNTERNEHMEN EICHE AND UNTERNEHMEN PANZERFAUST by Andreas Alexander Handschuh, Lieutenant Colonel, German Army

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/trecms/pdf/AD1053270.pdf
The Gran Sasso Raid itself is very well documented because of the Wehrmacht photographer Toni Schneider, who took pictures during the assault. These photos are available by the German Bundesarchiv and can be viewed online.105 The interesting part about these pictures and Skorzeny’s and Radl’s narrative is about the uniforms and combat equipment. Although Radl and Skorzeny describe that they got paratroop uniforms and equipment106 like the FG-42 none of the pictures at Gran Sasso shows them. All men of Skorzeny’s group a clearly identified by wearing only Luftwaffe tropical uniforms, standard Wehrmacht helmets, and the German standard rifle K-98. All members of the Fallschirmjäger-Lehr-Regiment are wearing the regular paratroop combat uniform and helmet. These details show that Skorzeny’s and Radl’s narrative cannot be exactly true, because if Skorzeny was planning and preparing the conduct of the Mussolini’ liberation, his men would be prepared with their combat gear and airborne helmets. “Skorzeny claims that he smashed the radio [of the Italian guardsmen] with the butt of his sub-machine gun, but photographs from Gran Sasso indicate that he was armed only with a Walther PPK pistol.” Thus, Skorzeny’s narrative may be false and leads to this determination because of the surely unpreparedness of Skorzeny’s men that they did not expected to be part of Unternehmen Eiche.

Karl Radl and Otto Skorzeny describe in their narratives about finding Mussolini, how they were cooperating with other German troops. But it is never stated that these units became attached to Skorzeny. They were cooperating and supporting Skorzeny’s mission in a way that he and his troops informed the supported units with intelligence on Mussolini’s location. Those commanding officers supported by Skorzeny’s intelligence, used this information to lead their units and conduct the operation. These supporting and supported relationships cast doubt on Skorzeny’s and Radl’s descriptions about their contributions and roles in Unternehmen Eiche and the freeing of Mussolini. Although the Fallschirmjäger-Lehr-Regiment was never attached to Skorzeny and always under Harald Mors’ command, Skorzeny claims full responsibility for planning a mission with these Fallschirmjäger but never cites, when they became his subordinates. Skorzeny’s z.b.V. Friedenthal was operating according to its purpose in small groups. These groups cooperated and were supported by regular German units to fulfill their mission. Mors and Skorzeny were both attached to Kurt Student. Student tasked Skorzeny to find Mussolini, so Skorzeny did have a substantial role, and tasked Mors to liberate Mussolini.

This narrative, which comes close to Student’s, Mors’, Gerlach’s and Mertin’s description of the Gran Sasso Raid.

Tactically speaking, if Skorzeny would have been in lead of the assault company at Gran Sasso, he would not have been within the assault Gruppe capturing Mussolini, but supervising and leading his whole company, like the real commanding officer Freiherr von Berlepsch did. There are also doubts, that Skorzeny influenced his glider pilots to change their position and Student’s explanation of misunderstanding, which is also described by Mors, are more plausible.

Being one of the first men inside the hotel leads to another false narrative from Skorzeny. “In his postwar interrogation about the raid, Skorzeny claimed that SS-Oberscharführer Walther Gläsner and Sfaeller assisted in securing the room, but in his memoirs he claims it was Holzer. In his account, Holzer said the other SS man was Neitzel.”

All mentioned aspects offer evidence, that Skorzeny’s narrative and his conduct of Unternehmen Eiche may be exaggerated. But, NS-propaganda made him to the recognizable commando and therefore, this section will also focus on the presentation of Unternehmen Eiche. The propaganda about Skorzeny was not preplanned, but fitted perfectly into the narrative, which was needed at the time. The existing German military capability to conduct these types of operations and the still existing bravery should be shown to German citizens and Germany’s opponents. Also, the SS-member, Otto Skorzeny was depicted and still perceived as the ideal German soldier, who fights although circumstances may be difficult. Goebbels himself stated in his diary, that he wanted to eradicate varying narratives about Mussolini’s liberation, a decision that continues to influence how many perceive Otto Skorzeny’s role during Unternehmen Eiche.

These details reveal that Skorzeny was unable to plan and conduct a mission with special paratrooper equipment like gliders at Gran Sasso because of his lack of experience and knowledge about these issues. Furthermore, his men were also incapable of conducting this mission alone. Skorzeny never commanded an engaged unit in Italy except z.b.V. Friedenthal, but cooperated and supported with those, which were tasked. Nevertheless, he was there at Gran Sasso and did play a role in the bloodless rescue of Mussolini and therefore, Skorzeny was used strategically by NS-propaganda to demonstrate German military strength and to inspire the German peoples’ belief in their nation’s victory.

An interview with Skorzeny speaking (in French) about rescuing Mussolini:

As noted in the thesis in the last post, Skorzeny may have overstated his involvement. The footage, as with all the photos, show him armed only with his PPK. No MP40 or MP40 magazine pouch on his belt.

If he had a machine pistol, as he claimed, he could have left it behind along with the ammo pouch before coming out of the hotel to pose for photos with Mussolini.

Since the 1/6 Dragon Cyber-Hobby exclusive released in 2001 the MP40 feels like it's become indelibly associated with him on this mission. I'll likely be arming the DID like that too.

DID seem also to have been inspired by that set to give him a P38. I have a spare DID PPK in brown holster to use for him, which would be better anyway because otherwise it's a black holster on a brown belt.

After doing the math on the probable cost of a parted out body and sculpt, it made more sense just buying a second set and having the opportunity to create another random tropical Luftwaffe and Das Reich officer.

Thought this was a 1/12 scale figure for a second; Their photography is really bad.

The figure looks alright. Otto has a pretty interesting career. I find his actions during the Battle of the Bulge very fascinating.

Thought this was a 1/12 scale figure for a second; Their photography is really bad.

The figure looks alright. Otto has a pretty interesting career. I find his actions during the Battle of the Bulge very fascinating.

I started reading Charles Whiting's biography again today: Skorzeny: The Most Dangerous Man in Europe.

Skorzeny's life reads like a novel which is perfect for Whiting, the man of a thousand pseudonyms including Leo Kessler.

Whiting met him several times, and in December 1944 had been guarding a crossroads in Belgium during the rumours that Skorzeny's men were masquerading as American soldiers.

The difference the background color makes and the skin tone, It is much better on the new version and is more in line with the older figures and their photography. They should definitely stick to black backgrounds it looks more professional and less toyish.
483874-d9.jpg
485935-DID-Skorzeny-updated-5.jpg

I was looking again today at photos of Skorzeny and his SS during the Gran Sasso raid, deciding how to build the DID figure and the spare.

The aforementioned thesis claimed that the SS were armed with K98s:

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/trecms/pdf/AD1053270.pdf

The Gran Sasso Raid itself is very well documented because of the Wehrmacht photographer Toni Schneider, who took pictures during the assault. These photos are available by the German Bundesarchiv and can be viewed online. The interesting part about these pictures and Skorzeny’s and Radl’s narrative is about the uniforms and combat equipment. Although Radl and Skorzeny describe that they got paratroop uniforms and equipment like the FG-42 none of the pictures at Gran Sasso shows them. All men of Skorzeny’s group a clearly identified by wearing only Luftwaffe tropical uniforms, standard Wehrmacht helmets, and the German standard rifle K-98. All members of the Fallschirmjäger-Lehr-Regiment are wearing the regular paratroop combat uniform and helmet.

However, I began noticing a number of them with strange leather pouches which resembled map cases, yet were hooked to the Y straps like ammunition pouches. I didn't spot any who were actually wearing K98 pouches, plus the barrels and sights on the rifles don't even look like K98s, and bear more resemblance to G43s.

Osprey's German Special Forces of World War II also notes the odd pouches, and suggests they resemble those for an MP28:

Gran Sasso SS Osprey2.jpg

Meanwhile, they depict him with an FG 42, the first operational use of which was actually during the Gran Sasso Raid:

Gran Sasso SS Osprey.jpg

In the photos you can differentiate the SS from the Fallschirmjägern by their regular helmets:

Gran Sasso SS in Luftwaffe uniforms 1.jpg

Gran Sasso SS.jpg

Gran SassoFallschirmjager and  SS in Luftwaffe uniforms.jpg

Gran Sasso Skorzeny.jpg

At least one had an ammunition bandoleer for a Schiessbecher rifle mounted grenade launcher, which could be attached to weapons chambered for 7.92mm Mauser, i.e., the K98 or FG 42:

Gran Sasso Skorzeny and SS in Luftwaffe uniforms 3.jpg

Gran-Sasso Skorzeny.jpg

K98 with grenade launcher on the left:

gran_sasso_3_wide.jpg

Last edited:
The quote from the thesis countering the myth (promoted by DML and DID) that Skorzeny was armed with an MP40...

“Skorzeny claims that he smashed the radio [of the Italian guardsmen] with the butt of his sub-machine gun, but photographs from Gran Sasso indicate that he was armed only with a Walther PPK pistol.”

...may itself be dispelled, because I just saw this photo of one of his SS armed with an MP40 (and wearing one of the leather MP28 pouches):

Gran Sasso MP40.jpg

Someone was complaining on one of the Facebook announcement posts that the collar and lower pockets were wrong.

I was trying to find that thread again but couldn't see it on either DID Action Figures or the DID Official Private Group.

Clicking the link in the above post goes to a live thread, but all the photos have been removed: "This content isn't available at the moment".

There's only one post in that thread too.

Did Qu Rachel choose to censor the complaints, or are DID delaying release to rework the uniform?

:unsure:

The Skorzenys arrived today.

A QC issue with one of them: the metal skull and crossbones is missing from the cap, and nowhere to be found amongst the foam in the box.

The tailoring on the M36 tunic is a bit weird. On both figures it bags out above his left breast pocket.

This shot from their video gave me hope:

502073-vlcsnap-2024-03-16-07h33m20s017.png

However, the comparison figure must be their shortest model because Skorzeny only measures 12" above his boot heels.

He should be 12.6" !

At stock height he's far too short:

IMG_2563.JPG

So I detached his ankles from his feet and packed the boots with wadding. As it happened my guess of how much to put in brought him to the correct height at the first attempt:

IMG_2567.JPG
IMG_2568.JPG
IMG_2570.JPG

The medal bar was a pain to fasten. The sticker started to lift so I tried again with the one from the other set. The pin finally closed but the bar is crooked. It would be better to cut the pin off and attach the bar with double sided tape.

Since the Gran Sasso uniform has ankle boots the wadding trick won't work.

However, removing the feet and putting on a pair of OneSixthKit's longest ankle extenders brought him to 12.5", which is close enough.

The extenders drop straight into the boots.

When I started on the Gran Sasso figure I was stopped in my tracks immediately because the shirt buttons were too big for the holes.

It was impossible to fasten them with the buttonhook, and then I remembered that in their unboxing video DID had used tweezers instead. Watching the video again, they were widening the holes to make the buttons fit.

Never had to do that with DID buttons before. Once opened up I was able to use the buttonhook, though one still took a lot of effort and barely fit.

IMG_2582.JPG

IMG_2580.JPG

Back