1/6 DID D80162 Oberst i.G. Claus Von Stauffenberg (Operation Valkyrie, 1944) 2.0

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OneSixthKit and Giantoy have been great for me, as far as ordering direct. I haven't had issues from KG but it has been a while since I order from them.

OneSixthKit and Giantoy have been great for me, as far as ordering direct. I haven't had issues from KG but it has been a while since I order from them.

There's always new complaints being posted about them on their Facebook. In the latest thread someone commented that they paid for a figure, received tracking the same day, but the parcel wasn't despatched for another month. They also noted they were still waiting on nine orders that had already been released.

Something happened to KGH. They used to be good, but the errors gradually increased until I stopped pre-ordering from them. Then I started to read reports that they were becoming very slow to receive stock, and then slow to despatch.

I feel happier going to OSK or GT.

Nevertheless, Stauffenberg did reach the local Yodel delivery depot this morning.

EDIT:

While I was typing the tracking changed to being loaded for delivery.

Something happened to KGH. They used to be good, but the errors gradually increased until I stopped pre-ordering from them. Then I started to read reports that they were becoming very slow to receive stock, and then slow to despatch.

I feel happier going to OSK or GT.
Same for me.
KGH was excellent and was my main shop since years.
But since covid i think, they became worse with slow shipping/damaged boxes/poor customer service etc..

They are no longer the KGH of before, that's why i buy from Kit now, all is Perfect with OSK.

He's been delivered, so now the fun can begin.

Looks pretty good.

The general staff stripes on the breeches do look more crimson than red in hand. However the waffenfarbe on the tunic looks more red, and could pass for artillery or generals.

I haven't looked at everything yet, because the first order of business is to remove the Tom Cruise sculpt and replace it with Stauffenberg's. Therein lies an issue.

The sculpt has a short neck joint so the head looks buried in the tunic's collar, and not at all like Stauffenberg:

VStauffenberg_vQuirnheim.jpg

Swapping the neck joint for a bigger one was simple with hot water, but on pulling the head from the body the barbell joint came with it. Unlike bodies from other companies, it's not meant to come out with the sculpt. There's no way that's going back in again.

The torso opened up to release the barbell, which is as small as a regular ankle peg, but can't be prised open again in order to put it back in. Since it does exactly match an ankle peg, I've replaced it with one that was already filed down, and packed the socket with blue tack.

The body's taller than the regular Slim, but even with the longer neck joint he still only measures 12" above the boot heels. Stauffenberg was 6' 3", so the figure's half an inch too short.

It's a figure with feet attached, so I dunked his ankles in hot water and took the feet off. Then packed his boots with cotton wool to add height.

The boots aren't DID's finest work. They're a bit baggy at the ankles, though they can be pinched in.

The shirt is collarless, with a fake collar attached to each tunic.

Now to carry on with assembly.

The shoulder boards are metal, which I haven't encountered on a DID figure before. Attaching them and placing them correctly on the straps is easy with the provided pieces of double-sided tape.

I'm still progressing at a leisurely pace, but here he is at 6' 3" compared to DID's standard Slim (11.5" / 5' 9"). I raised the crotch grabbers on the standard bodies so they hover over the bases since they're not wearing boots:

100_4226.JPG

I didn't try the cap on either of the sculpts, but put it straight onto the VTS Ray Stevenson Punisher Warzone head that I'm going to use with the second tunic and overcoat as a oberst in the 'field'. It was tight, but with fit perfectly with futzing.

100_4221.JPG
100_4222.JPG

EDIT:

Putting the VTS head onto the body with the second tunic raised a minor problem: the neck is too wide to allow the tunic collar's metal hook and eye to fasten.

I considered leaving it unhooked since this officer was going to be in the field, then decided to try the cap on the Cruise sculpt.

It fitted perfectly, so I don't know what all the whinging on BBICN was about.

Both sculpts photograph quite shiny with the flash, but they aren't really like that to the eye.

100_4233.JPG

100_4234.JPG
100_4235.JPG

Luckily, in hand and with the cap on, he doesn't remind me too much of Tom Cruise so I'll use the sculpt. Will have to change the neck joint as it's incompatible with the body.

20th July 1944:
100_4256.JPG

100_4241.JPG

The rest of the set as a random Oberst i.G. with a pair of Dragon Models trousers and Disney Krennic boots:

100_4237.JPG

100_4238.JPG

100_4239.JPG

100_4240.JPG

Apart from the jointed toes I prefer the shape of the plastic Disney boots to Stauffenberg's leather ones.

An improvement over recent releases is that the gun belt isn't "genuine leather". It looks like the reconstituted kind, and is therefore half the thickness of the leather ones so passes through the buckle very easily.

gorgeous figure, just got mine a few days ago. I bought a second body, pants and boots so I can display both versions Historic and Tom Cruise.

The boots were bugging me. They're so smooth and unwrinkled that they look unnatural, and reminded me of rubber wellingtons. The cotton wool probably didn't help.

I swapped them with the old pair of DID German officer boots I had on my custom Bespin Han Solo:

100_4278.JPG
100_4281.JPG

The wrinkles are set into these and are unaffected by the cotton wool.

Stauffenberg's boots are Han's problem now. :lol I think they look better on Han though, and are more like the style Hot Toys used for him.

Before he arrived I assumed I wouldn't need a stand because he could rest his hand on the table for support.

Since making him taller he can't do that without bending forwards, and then you don't see him properly. I also like him standing up straight as if listening out for anyone approaching.

I used a regular black oval stand at first, but it made him even taller than the table, so opted for the flatter metal one. Today I made a stand that incorporates the table. It also has the advantage that the table takes up less space as it can overhang the shelf

100_4283.JPG

Don't know how to finish it yet, but it's an integrated, and easily movable set now.

On 20th July Stauffenberg was wearing the pale grey tunic at the Wolfsschanze, and in Valkyrie he was depicted preparing the bomb in a hut with wooden floorboards.

With my figure dressed in his ornamented tunic, and not wanting to change it for the pale grey one, the scene can depict him rehearsing ahead of time. Therefore it could take place anywhere. I had some green baize so the rehearsal's taking place in a room with green carpet.

100_4287.JPG

I'll probably use DID's pale grey tunic on Facepool's figure, because it'll likely be better tailored. My overcoated figure can have one of Facepool's tunics.

I just got this figure in hand a couple days ago and am really impressed with the quality so far. My only critique is that it is very difficult to keep the briefcase balanced on his two fingertips without it falling. I guess the real Stauffenberg had to deal with the same issue.

20230525_195921.jpg

That new camera is getting a lot of use! :rock

It's become a bit addictive. :lol

As I take a few new photos of figures I upload them to my Flickr, then delete a load of the inferior old ones. It means I shouldn't be hitting my Flickr limit any time soon.

Hey guys,
do you know how to remove the star and the medal from this uniform in order to put them on the second lighter uniform?
Valkyrie.jpg

I don't want to damaged them, it's annoying that they gave only 1 star and 1 medal!
Thanks

Hey guys,
do you know how to remove the star and the medal from this uniform in order to put them on the second lighter uniform?
View attachment 659997
I don't want to damaged them, it's annoying that they gave only 1 star and 1 medal!
Thanks

They're pinned on like the real thing:

467865-1-small.jpg

You have to release the pin from behind the hook, then pull them out of the uniform.

Back