1/6 Boba Fett w/ self-made helmet sculpt (& other custom bounty hunters too)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Boba Fett w/ self-made helmet sculpt

Fantastic work :clap

Thank you! The attention to detail and the skill set that you demonstrate with your dioramas are phenomenal, so I'm humbled by your nod of approval for my Fett. :duff

In some of the skiff scenes they used an ESB helmet, so it's worth checking which picture shows the ESB and which shows the RotJ and then separate out the ESB, so you don't use those as reference. I believe you can tell them apart by the colors and the way the scratches and damage is applied.

I didn't know that the ESB helmet was re-used for ROTJ without repainting it. Thank you very much for pointing it out; I'll be sure to double-check every photo that I use for reference going forward. The pics I have right now all show the ROTJ weathering pattern and paint scheme, so all good thus far. I'm thinking that my best bet is going to be painting the ROTJ helmet a little lighter and a shade or two more gray than the color that Hot Toys went with. Slightly different than ESB color, but not as olive or as dark as HT. Thanks again!

Before starting on ROTJ Boba Fett, I want to surround this ESB version with the other bounty hunters. I'm not willing to pay $200+ each for the Sideshow figures, so I'm modifying the Hasbro 12-inch versions as best as I can. Here's Fett with my first one, Bossk. It's almost all Hasbro parts that have been modified, tailored, or repainted and put on a third-party body. There are some things I want to improve, but I'm too anxious to finish the others, so fine tuning will come later.

BobaAndBossk.jpg

If the rest of the bounty hunters turn out well, I'm going to build an Executor diorama to display them all in. Next up is Dengar. I'm going in the order of my personal favorites:

1.) Boba Fett
2.) Bossk
3.) Dengar
4.) Zuckuss
5.) IG-88
6.) 4-LOM

Wow! You really turned that Hasbro Fett into HT-like. Good job there.

:clap:clap:clap

Wow! You really turned that Hasbro Fett into HT-like. Good job there.

:clap:clap:clap

The Boba Fett is NOT Hasbro. Sorry if I made it confusing. The Fett is the same one I made this thread for and described in the first post (made up of Hot Toys, Sideshow, and Medicom parts with a helmet and chest armor that I made). It's the rest of the bounty hunters that will be made from the Hasbro figures; definitely not Boba Fett. There's no way I could turn a Hasbro Fett into that. :lol

Again, sorry if I didn't make that clearer.

I done the same except casting a helmet. I used the medicom helmet chest with sideshow body suit and the back pack rocket launcher is there boba fett v2.

The Boba Fett is NOT Hasbro. Sorry if I made it confusing. The Fett is the same one I made this thread for and described in the first post (made up of Hot Toys, Sideshow, and Medicom parts with a helmet and chest armor that I made). It's the rest of the bounty hunters that will be made from the Hasbro figures; definitely not Boba Fett. There's no way I could turn a Hasbro Fett into that. :lol

Again, sorry if I didn't make that clearer.

Oh. Glad you cleared that. Hahaha!

Dengar needs a correct rifle (on the way) and a blaster (using Han's for now), but I'm pretty much done with the basic build of the figure. I'm really surprised and pleased that everything except the head from the Hasbro figure was able to be used for this custom. This was the only Hasbro bounty hunter (of the non-Fett ones) that I thought wouldn't be able to be converted in a decent way because of how bad it looked before modifying anything. Turns out there's a lot to like about the Hasbro costume after some tweaking.

DengarTrio.jpg

This last side-by-side pic was just for my personal reference to see how the crew compares so far, and to get a sense for how large the Executor diorama would be. It helped me realize how much more work Bossk and Dengar need, so I'm adding it here in the hopes that someday I'll be able to post a similar pic that illustrates future improvements.

ExecutorCompare.jpg

Now on to Zuckuss.

I'll probably be able to post pics of a finished Zuckuss later today (or tomorrow), but since this one took more work than Bossk and Dengar, I'm going to start with some pics that chronicle parts of the process (with the hope that it will make it more interesting this way).

Zuckuss Build 01.jpg

Zuckuss Build 02.jpg

Zuckuss Build 03.jpg

Looks awesome! You're really talented! :D

Thanks a lot, neb! I appreciate that a great deal.

It took me too long to get around to taking photos of the finished Zuckuss figure, so there was virtually no natural light available. That made for a weird washed-out color in the photos, but here's a couple of angles anyway. He'll show up again in this thread with better lighting.

ZuckussCustom1.jpg

Next up is IG-88. Not much to do on the tall droid outside of repainting it. Still will take a while, though.

Dengar needs a correct rifle (on the way) and a blaster (using Han's for now), but I'm pretty much done with the basic build of the figure. I'm really surprised and pleased that everything except the head from the Hasbro figure was able to be used for this custom. This was the only Hasbro bounty hunter (of the non-Fett ones) that I thought wouldn't be able to be converted in a decent way because of how bad it looked before modifying anything. Turns out there's a lot to like about the Hasbro costume after some tweaking.

View attachment 397093

This last side-by-side pic was just for my personal reference to see how the crew compares so far, and to get a sense for how large the Executor diorama would be. It helped me realize how much more work Bossk and Dengar need, so I'm adding it here in the hopes that someday I'll be able to post a similar pic that illustrates future improvements.

View attachment 397094

Now on to Zuckuss.

Love it.:clap

I finished my Hasbro Dengar reboot and I'm working on my Bossk now.

GjRG7uH.jpg

Love it.:clap

I finished my Hasbro Dengar reboot and I'm working on my Bossk now.

Your Dengar looks awesome! The improvements you made to the torso armor blow me away; really inspiring stuff! Not sure how you did it, but now after seeing the armor done more accurately (especially the midsection), I'm definitely going to have to figure out some way of getting mine looking as close to what you've done as I can. I've also been tinkering with the shin armor so that I can get a pair of damaged Bespin Luke boots under them to replace the Hasbro Dengar ones. I'll get some practice on those before tackling the torso armor. Also love the ridged belt. I have fabric belts with stitched ridges that would look great, but they're all either olive or black. To get a gray one, I'll have to make it myself.

I guess Churchill is the default head sculpt for Dengar. :lol I bought a cheap one a long time ago with the idea of collecting historical figure head sculpts for one of my bookshelves, but after giving up on that idea, I had to use the head for something. I thought a lot of the facial features matched up really well, and to see that you used the same sculpt validates that for me.

I hope I get to see your Bossk when you finish it. Your Dengar has inspired me to aim higher with mine, and I trust your Bossk would do the same. Fantastic work, Talibane.

Your Dengar looks awesome! The improvements you made to the torso armor blow me away; really inspiring stuff! Not sure how you did it, but now after seeing the armor done more accurately (especially the midsection), I'm definitely going to have to figure out some way of getting mine looking as close to what you've done as I can. I've also been tinkering with the shin armor so that I can get a pair of damaged Bespin Luke boots under them to replace the Hasbro Dengar ones. I'll get some practice on those before tackling the torso armor. Also love the ridged belt. I have fabric belts with stitched ridges that would look great, but they're all either olive or black. To get a gray one, I'll have to make it myself.

I guess Churchill is the default head sculpt for Dengar. :lol I bought a cheap one a long time ago with the idea of collecting historical figure head sculpts for one of my bookshelves, but after giving up on that idea, I had to use the head for something. I thought a lot of the facial features matched up really well, and to see that you used the same sculpt validates that for me.

I hope I get to see your Bossk when you finish it. Your Dengar has inspired me to aim higher with mine, and I trust your Bossk would do the same. Fantastic work, Talibane.

The Churchill head does remind me of Roger Ebert under certain lighting.:lol The scar was really hard to do, both in carving it and painting it.

Yes, I heavily modded the chest armor to make it more accurate and created a new belly armor piece. I made it with styrene because my goal with Dengar was to spend literally nothing on it. I didn't even buy parts for the pistol, just scratch built it. The MG 42 I bought for my Hasbro Dengar years ago.

Like your idea on the shin armor. I redid the shin straps because the hasbro ones looked a bit weird.

The ridged belt is what Sideshow should have done on their figure - what they did (webbing) is totally inaccurate and a bit lazy.

Bossk is coming really slowly - it's another one where I don't want to spend anything, so I make it. I did dye the Hasbro suit a stronger yellow because I want it to look slightly Kenner. It's the reason I kept the slightly purplish Dengar armor rather than just painting it brown - the slight purple feels Kenner.

Scratch-built blaster? Great job on that, TaliBane! As for scarring the face, I can imagine. I just put a needle tip on my hot knife and kept it simple because I wasn't sure what the exact scar pattern should look like (didn't want to go too far with it and screw it up).

The 3 3/4" Kenner figures weren't on my mind when working on these, but I totally get the desire to go for a bit of that vibe - those figures had a lot to do with why I still dig the bounty hunters so much to this day. My motivation with these (outside of Fett) was the same as yours in terms of keeping them at low/no cost. But, the better they've started to look, the more willing I am to spend a little bit on them. The maddening thing is that the Hasbro 12-inch line originally retailed for $20 to $25 each; so you could get all six bounty hunters for less $ than one single SSC version now. The quality difference is obvious, but not by 10x (as the price difference would indicate) IMO.

Everything looks great :clap:

Thanks a lot, Craig. By the way, the latest tweak I made to my Zuckuss would have gone a lot smoother if I had your LED/wiring skills. After having to struggle just to wire up one LED diode to a battery pack, I hate how easy you make it look. :lol

Here's a few angles of how it ended up. It may not be a big deal that Zuckuss had a lit flashlight under his "mouth" in the movie, but I really wanted that light-up feature to add a bit more accuracy.

ZuckussCustom2.jpg

And here's the best movie shot I've got that shows the light intensity of the flashlight.

Zuckuss01.jpg

The Hasbro IG-88 is a pretty solid figure IMO; it does have a few flaws in terms of accuracy, but I haven't seen a 1/6 IG-88 that doesn't suffer from the same problem. That said, the stock paint was too flat and gray, so I have been trying to give it a more metallic look. I also decided to light up his "eyes" instead of just painting them red.

Here are some shots of the painting process so far.

IG88Process01a.jpg

I also tried taking a photo in darker conditions in order to better show the red light coming through the "eyes." Unfortunately, it just blurs the image without much benefit. Here's a comparison anyway.

IG88LightDark.jpg

I think I still need more rusty weathering, and I definitely want to try adding/replacing some features to make him more movie-accurate. Then on to 4-LOM to round out the ESB bounty hunters.

Nice work. Yeah, I like the Hasbro IG. My plan has been to tear the SSC fig and Hasbro fig apart and use the most accurate parts. For example, the Hasbro head is better, but the SSC has the deep detailing on the torso and sharper detailing on the limbs/joints.

Back