1:4 Scale Ark of The Covenant Replica coming from Sideshow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm starting to get pretty excited to see this thing (and it sounds like it will be unveiled soon).

From yesterday's Ask Sideshow Q&A:

I am very excited that Sideshow is producing a 1:1 prop replica of the Fertility Idol from Raiders of the Lost Ark, however I was wondering why you are able to gold plate this polystone statue and were not able to apply the same shiny gold plating to the 1:6 Ark accessory that came with the exclusive Toht figure? Is it safe to brush gold leaf over the existing gold paint on the Ark?

At the target price for the 1:6 scale Ark, we were unable to include the chrome plating. The chrome plating process itself is not that expensive, but the process is far from perfect. Often, a high percentage of the product must be scrapped, which can (and does) dramatically raise cost on polystone items. Had we decided to chrome the Ark included with Toht, it would have pushed the price of the item well above $225, which we felt was an unacceptable ‘value’ for the set.

For the future 1:4 scale Ark of the Covenant miniature prop replica, we will be applying the chrome finishing work.

I loved the announcement of the Indiana Jones Fertility Idol replica, and just watched the video teasing the quarter scale Ark replica to come. My question: is there any chance of a Holy Grail replica or a Crystal Skull replica in the future? Even a half size Skull would be cool to have.

Yes, we’re eager to bring more of the wonderful props and set pieces from Indiana Jones to collectible form. The next piece that we’ll be revealing is a 1:4 scale Ark of the Covenant - and it’s a beauty. If all goes well, you’ll see more Indiana Jones prop replicas in late 2010 and beyond.

While I'm not buying their excuse for not chroming the 1:6 Ark (it didn't need to be in polystone, which is part of the point) I am very eager to see the 1:4 scale one and I have faith it will be quite accurate this time.

Also, it sounds like we'll indeed be getting more INDY prop replicas down the road! :rock

I'm very excited...but at the same time very nervous that they just won't get it right. At that scale it will be one of the most sought after Indy items so I am literally going to say a prayer that they have done the reasearch and are in the frame of mind of wanting to out-do themselves. In the back of my mind I think God sometimes punishes me because I strive for such perfection in material things. Perhaps though, he will throw me a bone on this one and satisfy my every desire, earthly and shallow though they may be.

I'm actually not interested in this. Personally, I'm just not into the 1:4 scale. I imagine the price will be fairly hefty for it--$200+ at least. I know they did it at that scale because a full 1:1 would have been ridiculously big and expensive! I'm sure they'll do a great job on it, though. I just wish they would have just done the 1:6 scale properly to begin with.

I am glad they're doing this. It shows their commitment to the line. I'm set to pick up the fertility idol, but I'm not sure I'll get any other props beyond that. Maybe the Grail.

I accept their explanation on why they did not plate the 1:6 ark and I'm glad they finally came clean about it. Although as IrishJedi pointed out, they should have just used a different material instead of polystone.

SUPER pumped for this. 1/4 scale is where it is at. While I have the 1/6th scale SSC ark, even with its faults I still like it but I cannot WAIT for this. Please let it be near perfect, please. Hopefully it does well enough that it warrants more prop replicas from SSC.

This IS exciting news, essentially the 1:4 Ark will look fantastic behind any of the Indy PFs and if this trends continues you could have a fantastic display behind them. I hope it continues with other lines.

Nice to finally get a response about why the 1/6 Ark wasn't plated. Glad I passed on it in favor of the Hasbro, and glad to hear the 1/4 will be plated. If it's sculpted more accurately with more detailed fabric wrapped around the poles, this will be a MUST-HAVE for my 1/4 Indy collection!

:gun

Man ! Depending on the price, I may just have to get one. Perfect next to my Indy PF ! :rock

I'm starting to get pretty excited to see this thing (and it sounds like it will be unveiled soon).

From yesterday's Ask Sideshow Q&A:

While I'm not buying their excuse for not chroming the 1:6 Ark (it didn't need to be in polystone, which is part of the point) I am very eager to see the 1:4 scale one and I have faith it will be quite accurate this time.

Also, it sounds like we'll indeed be getting more INDY prop replicas down the road! :rock

I would gladly have paid $225 (or more) for a chromed Ark with Toht. That's only $75 more than what they were charging without the chrome plating.

I would gladly have paid $225 (or more) for a chromed Ark with Toht. That's only $75 more than what they were charging without the chrome plating.

Same here. Plus, my point all along is that it didn't need to be polystone in the first place. They could have done it in ABS and it would have looked better and still been cheaper than what we got. :huh

I really hope they do a knockout Staff of Ra headpiece. That's my holy grail! Such a cool concept. Nobody's done it right yet. The Noble one was awful. I hope they don't hold exclusive rights to that one.
Count me in for a 1/4 Ark!!

I will put my eye on it:gun . This is also my "holy grail" , to make a 1:1 scale ark. I have the querubins in 1:1.

For holy grail, the grails I make :D

3920480998cd75cc3f98o.jpg

The only thing that's a bit weird about displaying the 1/4 scale Ark with the 1/4 PF Indy, is that the Indy is holding the Idol. Doesn't really mix with any scene involving the Ark.

Does anyone have the Sideshow link where this is teased in a video. This was mentioned in the Q&A response? Thanks in advance!

I'm curious to see how this will turn out. Don't have an Ark in the collection yet.

Back