1:1 Scale Hellboy Samaritan 3D printed replica

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pro Design

Super Freak
Reaction score
Thought this would be a fun build and since the original designer did such a great job (for free) for folks to use, that I'd download the files and print the Samaritan off and build one.

The files are available here from the original designer 'dan0nator':

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:71235

I upscaled all the original files I downloaded by 122.4% as recommended by others to make the gun actual size to the movie prop... and it is big just like in the movie! Around 13" long.

Went thru a couple rounds of primer and wet sanding to get everything looking all nice and smooth after the print. Then a couple layers of different paint, some simulated wood grain painting on the handle, weathering to give it an aged effect, etc. Everything is 3D printed except for the leather strap on the handle... Final result came out pretty impressive! Don't walk around town w/ this in your hand or you'll wind up looking like swiss cheese after the po-po put a few in you! lol

Anyone interested in building your own and have any questions on what I did or general info, feel free to shoot me a PM

Last edited:
Looks pretty impressive, like the weathering! :yess:

Which printing service and material did you use if I may ask?

Yes. I'd like to know the same. Great job.

thanks guys!

i have a couple printers of my own that i use for business and this sort of thing. this project was done on my flashforge dreamer printer. see the pic below... it is a filament based printer. the material is PLA plastic.

the industry is getting expansive for the 3D printing market... and as such, the prices are getting incredibly cheap for machines! well worth looking into if you fancy this sorta thing... you're basically limited by your imagination. hit me up anytime if you ever have any questions. happy to help!

homepage-slider-4.jpg

That really does look good, printed piece looks pretty clean. I'd love to have a 3D printer, or readily access to one. So much you can do with customization. I was quoted about $250 to scan and print something locally about the size of my fist made from abs plastic. Not sure if that's good or not but right now not worth the cost for that particular project.

That really does look good, printed piece looks pretty clean. I'd love to have a 3D printer, or readily access to one. So much you can do with customization. I was quoted about $250 to scan and print something locally about the size of my fist made from abs plastic. Not sure if that's good or not but right now not worth the cost for that particular project.

For the price that 3D printers are getting down to... I'd put the $250 towards a machine. They can be picked up for $400+ for smaller machines...

And there are several free CAD programs available (which isn't too tough at all to learn the basics) that you can make dam near anything you want on your own!
Pro, what would you estimate the cost to be to print something like this out? Are you planning on offering this?

Honestly material wise there's prolly $5 in filament at the most... Maybe about $6 in paints/primer. So total $10-$15

Time to sand and prep is all up to the user... But I'd say I spent maybe 8 hours combined doing it all.

Im not planing on doing any... But there are a few I've seen on ETSY that are selling completed versions of this similar. Gets to be a grey area cause I dunno how that works with selling these since the original designer put the files up for grabs to people that wanted to download them. But regardless they do. There was one guy that made the print and then started casting the parts so he must be cranking thru them! Think he had them for $150.

I may try to print a smaller version of this. I don't think my 3D printer can print a large piece.

Didn't know u had a printer! Which one do you have? The models for this design are in several pieces so you never know it may fit!

Didn't know u had a printer! Which one do you have? The models for this design are in several pieces so you never know it may fit!

This one

61vW4DodIXL._SL1500_.jpg

It doesn't have a very big print space, but I'll give it a shot anyway. I just got it to play around with because I didn't want to spend a ton of money on it if I wasn't going to really use it.

This one

61vW4DodIXL._SL1500_.jpg

It doesn't have a very big print space, but I'll give it a shot anyway. I just got it to play around with because I didn't want to spend a ton of money on it if I wasn't going to really use it.

nice! you can do a lot w/ that machine! the small volume is still usable as most parts can be done in pieces and put together for different things... hit me up if you need help w/ anything...

I definitely wouldn't want casted parts. I'd like the raw print so I can put in the work myself.

ah i get ya.... yeah part of the fun for me w/ the build is not only having the cool prop, but doing the work myself! so i get where you are coming from.

Back