1:1 Obi Wan Bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it looks great! Especially with it being your first sculpt. I have never sculpted before, but rest assured, my first attempt would certainly not look as good as this. Very nice indeed!

I don't sculpt and never said I did, but if you're asking for people's opinions on a public forum, don't be afraid of criticism. Especially if it's warranted.

Constructive criticism is used to critique and help an individual so they will benefit or improve.

Your comments don't do either.

LOL! OMG! Thanks for that.
It's just frighteningly bad.

Last edited:
I think it looks really good, personally though I would go for more styilised or more realistic, at the moment the sculpt seems stuck somewhere between the two, but either way as a first sculpt it is a remarkable piece of work...well done :rock :)

My first thought when I saw it was of a stylized/animated Obi-Wan, and basing the sculpt off that I think it looks good for being your first one. Alot of people couldn't sculpt a thing, so I don't think it's right to put an artist down over their work. Keep on going Mr. Marcus! :D

I don't sculpt and never said I did, but if you're asking for people's opinions on a public forum, don't be afraid of criticism. Especially if it's warranted.

well, in that case - you're an a-hole. See? Nothing constructive there.

Again, unless you're going to give advice, suggest what could be better, or, in the least, be polite... well, then just keep your mouth shut.

Last edited:
I love it. I would love to have a whole room of 1:1 busts I created myself, that looked half as good as yours!
Wicked work!

I really admire you guys who appreciate with what I've done. It is my own interpretation of Obi-Wan and I must say that I had a great time with this project. I know some of you may not like it but I am not forcing anyone to do so. I agree with constructive criticism though rather than say something really bad about the piece and not justify your opinion towards it. I thank those people who believes that constructive criticism is a helpful way for one to develop one's skill even further.

Thanks guys...:D

Please don't take this as anything other than constructive criticism. Its not my intent to make fun or comment without an interest in seeing you improve. Here are my thoughts:

-A sculptor who is happy with the results of his first sculpture needs to look at it in a mirror. Break the creative eye, and see it from a different perspective. You'll quickly notice what is wrong with it since you'll be seeing it in an unfamiliar way.

-A great sculptor doesn't focus on the dimensions of a portrait as much as the character of the subject. You need to give it life, and no offense intended, but your sculpt lacks life. It looks dead and that takes away from it entirely.

-While it truly is a solid study of the human head, it isn't a study on Obi-Wan Kenobi or Alec Guinness. Understand who the character is, and you'll have more success with the sculpture.

-Lastly, don't listen to people who say your work is good unless you know them very well. Most people are too effing polite and skirt around the issue using terms like "Stylized". An example of a stylized sculpt is Gentle Giant's animated maquettes, or Hot toys' Cosbaby figures. I'm sorry to say, your sculpt isn't stylized. Don't be fooled by false kindness. That's what gets people's hearts broken on American Idol. At the same time don't pay attentino to people who say your work sucks without articulating what they don't like. The internet is teeming with people who hide behind handles like "JediFisto654" or "DarthFarter69" and spew negativity because they have no true personality, or at least not enough personality or conviction to stand behind their words using their own name.

The bottom line is, when you try to create something and you present it to the world, you need to build a tough skin and a mindful ear open to suggestions. You have some skills there and should move forward with your work, but try to see the flaws more while you develop your sense of style. Every creative person starts as less than perfect, but through time and personal commitment to your goal, you can become an amazing artist.

Back