Statue 1/1 Life-Size Figure - The Child - Sideshow Collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pre ordered mine right away, before the crash on flex. Final payment was set for November 10th, I paid the final payment early on Friday and got notice it would ship on November 2nd. It'll take about a week to cross the country to Philadelphia.

I know! Technically, you have to go out of your way to overdo something and that is what's upsetting - giving us subtle rosy cheeks would have been easier/less time-consuming than the effort they put in.

It's probably more the opposite. When it comes to something like this it takes a lot more care and effort to make sure you add only the right, small amount of color, and don't overdo it. Going overboard would be the quick and easy thing to do. But unfortunately it's likely not real artists who are painting these things, but just workers on an assembly line who are following a paint guide of some kind.

Both versions were going to have their pros and cons. I'll take the more lifelike and accurate sculpt with slightly off colors and rosy cheeks over plasticy looking skin with unsightly seams for superfluous swap out parts that nobody cares about.

Regardless of any issues this is probably the best realistic representation of a Life-sized version of The Child that we'll ever get, especially at that price point. Hot Toys version seems to lack the realism that this piece has.

Regardless of any issues this is probably the best realistic representation of a Life-sized version of The Child that we'll ever get, especially at that price point. Hot Toys version seems to lack the realism that this piece has.

I'm praying that it looks good when I get it. $350 for this does feel like a bit of a bargain in today's market. I'm not interested in a Baby Yoda with huge ear seams and a stretchable mouth :slap

It's probably more the opposite. When it comes to something like this it takes a lot more care and effort to make sure you add only the right, small amount of color, and don't overdo it. Going overboard would be the quick and easy thing to do. But unfortunately it's likely not real artists who are painting these things, but just workers on an assembly line who are following a paint guide of some kind.

Applying pink colour to Baby Yoda on the Sideshow production line.

giphy.gif

Possibly. I am no painter myself and my statement makes a few assumptions on a process I know little about but I'm assuming that the base color is applied and then the airbrush is adjusted - or another airbrush with finer settings - adds the spots, blemishes and speckles and another airbrush adds the rosy highlights. Can't the airbrush be adjusted to limit the flow of the rose-color so that it's not overly done?

As with every statue, there?s a lucky factor. These things are hand painted by mass production factories. At this price point, you cannot ask for a professional custom paint app.

Applying pink colour to Baby Yoda on the Sideshow production line.

giphy.gif

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Thanx I needed that

My shelves are dark enough it won't matter. I want a great set of eyes tho. Anyway red pigments are unstable at times figure there might be a bit of fading in time, maybe:dunno

As with every statue, there?s a lucky factor. These things are hand painted by mass production factories. At this price point, you cannot ask for a professional custom paint app.

Hot Toys does it with all of their 1/6 head sculpts.....

I pre-ordered on January 31, 2020 and no word/notice yet :(

Hot Toys also looks like a toy/figure rather than a prop replica like the SSC one. 99 times in a hundred I'd be with you. This is one or the rare times when HT just didn't make the better representation.

Honestly whenever someone claims anything Sideshow is better than anything Hot Toys, I assume they are in denial - best to just accept anything Sideshow will just be heartbreak and QC issues - Hot Toys usually exceeds expectations while Sideshow consistently under delivers - example, with the Darth Maul 1/6 - they had a good thing going with an awesome paint job, in the second run they even messed that up - the only area they can be on-par with Hot Toys is the paint jobs, as body/articulation/feature-wise they are nowhere near them, but if anyone is paying attention the topic is always the paint issues with Sideshow, as rosegate shows

If they at least honored the pre-order ordering, I intended to just go through and see the figure real life, 50/50 I'll probably like it, if not, I can deduct $100 and sell it locally

Honestly whenever someone claims anything Sideshow is better than anything Hot Toys, I assume they are in denial - best to just accept anything Sideshow will just be heartbreak and QC issues - Hot Toys usually exceeds expectations while Sideshow consistently under delivers - example, with the Darth Maul 1/6 - they had a good thing going with an awesome paint job, in the second run they even messed that up - the only area they can be on-par with Hot Toys is the paint jobs, as body/articulation/feature-wise they are nowhere near them, but if anyone is paying attention the topic is always the paint issues with Sideshow, as rosegate shows

If they at least honored the pre-order ordering, I intended to just go through and see the figure real life, 50/50 I'll probably like it, if not, I can deduct $100 and sell it locally

I don't see anyone claiming that SS is better than HT, which is obviously not, but that in this particular case, SS effort worked out better (I know HT isn't out yet, but as far as sculpt and whole representation, this seems to be the case).

On the other hand, HT charges a few extra bucks, and is not fair to compare statues to figures.

Anyway, I think both collectibles will end out to be great pieces, but I?m with SS with this one.

I'm sure HT will come out a little better paint, however those ear seams are just too much for me.

Not in denial, could buy the HT one if I wanted to, but from what we've seen, the SS version is superior even with the overly rosy cheeks. We can only purchase based on the images, videos, etc. available to us, and the HT version just doesn't cut it :dunno.

I preordered the Hot Toys regardless. I’m ok with having the sideshow and hot toys versions of this. However as of Right now I think sideshow has the edge.

Back