Anybody buy the London After Midnight premium format statue?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

risingstar

Super Freak
Reaction score
I tried doing a search for this piece.
Sadly, nothing popped up.

Anyone have thoughts to share on this piece?
Anyone have pics?

I think I read somewhere that the arms are made of wire and could be posed. Not sure if that is accurate though...

P.S. We also keep hearing that a copy of the film has been found, yet nothing has been confirmed.

I have both the color and the SSE versions, and yes, he was one of the early ones with wire and cloth arms that could be gentlly positioned. It is a great premium format figure and my personal opinion is that it is slightly under appreciated. I think the hair turned a lot of people off because it didn't appear to match the prototype very well, but it turned out that a little futzing and combing and you could get it to look just like the proto. If you're interested in the classic monsters, this is a must have!

Here are a couple of not too great pictures of mine, and no, the hair isn't futzed. :rotfl

Monsters36.jpg

Monsters38.jpg

I have both the color and the SSE versions, and yes, he was one of the early ones with wire and cloth arms that could be gentlly positioned. It is a great premium format figure and my personal opinion is that it is slightly under appreciated. I think the hair turned a lot of people off because it didn't appear to match the prototype very well, but it turned out that a little futzing and combing and you could get it to look just like the proto. If you're interested in the classic monsters, this is a must have!

Those are actually great pics. Thanks!
I really appreciate you chiming in.

Cummins, you said, "he was one of the early ones with wire and cloth arms that could be gentlly positioned". Were any of these other "early ones" from the Universal Monsters line too?

How much of the body is actually made of wire and cloth? Other than the head and the hands, how much of the piece is composed of porcelain? I also ask because I wonder if the use of wire and cloth and movable parts make this piece (and others like it) appear more like a doll than a statue. Perhaps that's why Sideshow stopped releasing Monster PFs in this format?

Thoughts?

P.S. We also keep hearing that a copy of the film has been found, yet nothing has been confirmed.

I would LOVE to watch this film...it's kinda like a UFO...you know it exists, but you've never seen it.

hopefully one day it will be in my collection

I have the SSE one. Its my favorite Chaney Sr. figure! Totally worth it. I don't have any pics, though. I'll post some if I ever take him out again (out of space).

I would LOVE to watch this film...it's kinda like a UFO...you know it exists, but you've never seen it.

hopefully one day it will be in my collection

I've seen the 45 minute reconstructed version of the film -- The one where they use a series of photo stills from the film, some word captions, and some dialogue from the script. The silent film features lots of close ups of those photo stills to move the film forward.

All this ended up doing was make me want to see the original version even more... lol.

What's particularly fascinating is how Chaney never ceases to amaze in his ability to completely reinvent himself and reconstruct his appearance. The man truly is the man of a thousand faces.

Hopefully, someone at MGM will eventually demonstrate a well deserved appreciation for Chaney's timeless legacy to the film arts by finding and releasing this long lost treasure.

Last edited:
There was a story on the web a while back about someone who claimed to have found it. Nothing came of it, though.

There was a story on the web a while back about someone who claimed to have found it. Nothing came of it, though.

I heard that too. The rumor was that someone had discovered a dusty old print sitting in the back of the MGM vault called "The Hypnotist". Apparently, back in the 20s or 30s, someone had incorrectly labeled the film and it's been sitting in a basement unbeknownst to anyone for decades. The rumor had some steam to it for a while then sadly peetered out.

Whether any of it is true, who knows.
I'd like to think we may one day all get to see it.

...Cummins, you said, "he was one of the early ones with wire and cloth arms that could be gentlly positioned". Were any of these other "early ones" from the Universal Monsters line too?

How much of the body is actually made of wire and cloth? Other than the head and the hands, how much of the piece is composed of porcelain? I also ask because I wonder if the use of wire and cloth and movable parts make this piece (and others like it) appear more like a doll than a statue. Perhaps that's why Sideshow stopped releasing Monster PFs in this format?

Thoughts?

Most of the early Premium Format figures (monster or otherwise) had some articulation. I can't remember which ones off the top of my head and I wouldn't want to speak out of turn and have someone try to pose an arm and snap it off!

As for their bodies, take a look at these pics from SDCC 2005...

https://sideshowcollectors.com/LAM-disembowled.htm

:lol :lol :lol

Most of the early Premium Format figures (monster or otherwise) had some articulation. I can't remember which ones off the top of my head and I wouldn't want to speak out of turn and have someone try to pose an arm and snap it off!

As for their bodies, take a look at these pics from SDCC 2005...

https://sideshowcollectors.com/LAM-disembowled.htm

:lol :lol :lol

Yipes!!

Now THAT'S getting medieval on someone ass... lol.

Yeah I have the SSE version and it is truly a great display piece. No pics to share as it has been tucked away to make room for others till the season is right for him again. I love this one though, and it alwasy is the first one that gets questions asked about it form friends when they see it.

Most of the early Premium Format figures (monster or otherwise) had some articulation. I can't remember which ones off the top of my head and I wouldn't want to speak out of turn and have someone try to pose an arm and snap it off!...

The extremely popular Van Helsing PF has some arm articulation. :monkey3

I have one and I think its awesome. I wish I would have gotten the SSE though since my Drac and Frank are SSE.

Nice pics!

How solid is the articulation? I definitely like the arms raised/finger pointing pose
Will it stay put?

Last edited:
Back