The Tonner Appreciation Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloud

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey. So I searched for one of these. Came up with a lot of character-specific Tonner threads but not an all-encompassing one.

I know very few of you collect Tonner, but those who do see the appeal are awesome. :)

The Tonners I currently own are:

Harley Quinn:
hquinn.jpg

Did a bit of tailoring on her. When she came, she had long blonde hair sticking out of the back of her hood. I cut her hair to its proper length, then tucked it into the costume and sewed up the hole. Now she looks like Harley Quinn proper.

Harleen Quinzel:
harleenquinzel.png

Also fiddled with her. I took her hair out of the pony-tail, trimmed it to its proper length again, and then put it up in Harleen's trademark pigtails.

I know, blasphemy to mess with Tonner dolls in such a way! But these two I never plan on selling. Here's mine:
HarleyTonner.jpg

(Though this photo was taken before I sewed up Harley's hood.)

I now also own this gorgeous beauty:
image.php

Snow White "Wishing." She is another keeper that I will never sell.

The two I am selling are:

The Joker:
joker11.jpg

Just a bit too homely to hang on to.

And Elphaba:
TonnerElphaba.jpg

"Dance of the Witch" This one breaks my heart to sell but I'm a bit desperate for Christmas present money so.. I'll probably buy another Elphaba sometime in the future. The ballet theme I was never all that fond of anyway.

Why do I love Tonner? Sure, they're not the most articulate things in the world. But with what you can articulate, you can certainly make them look graceful and interesting. They're also large-scale figures, or dolls, however you want to refer to them. I think it's unfair to call these dolls while we call most 1:6 scale toys "figures." Where is the line drawn? When I was a kid, if it had cloth clothing, it was a doll. I call these dolls but I also call Sideshow and Medicom figures dolls.

The detail put into the paint jobs, sculpts and clothing is usually amazing. Sure, Edward Cullen looks like a ******, but does Robert Patterson not also look like a ******? I admit that not all of the figures look perfect. Batman, Catwoman, anyone with a mask doesn't come off looking so good. But most characters look great. The attention to detail is amazing. I paid $140 for my Snow White, and I believe she was worth it. I got Harley and the Joker together for $75 which was a steal. Harleen I nabbed for $100 and I believe Elphaba was the same price. For the scale and the detail, the dolls are easily worth the prices. I remember when my Harley and Joker first came in the mail I was shocked at how big they actually were. Until you get your hands on one, you don't really appreciate them as much as you could.

Any other collectors here? And which ones do you own? My best friend is very adamant to get this one when it's released, which should be this month:
belle_bluedress1.jpg

Anyone who responds to this thread with a :monkey4 is a chimpanzee wiener. :)

No?

When our administrator, Darklord Dave, has a Tonner Doll in his avatar, and has had it there since I first started posting, I think I'm in good company. :)

As I've stated many times - the Tonner appeal to a typically different type of collector. But their Harry Potter figures are very good, even down to a few of the likenesses. The costuming on all of them is superlative. And that Belle above looks fantastic. For animated characters the Tonner style fits extremely well.

As I've stated many times - the Tonner appeal to a typically different type of collector. But their Harry Potter figures are very good, even down to a few of the likenesses. The costuming on all of them is superlative. And that Belle above looks fantastic. For animated characters the Tonner style fits extremely well.

"A typically different type of collector" referring, of course, to six year old girls.

I won't collect them but think that Belle looks stunning. One of my favorite Disney movies. I think all of the female ones look good just think the male ones look to GQish or feminine if you will.

My wife digs Tonners but personally I haven't seen anything to get me over there. I bought the Voldemort when it was on sale and regretted it as soon as I got it. Looked to doll like. I have a feeling the wife got me the Tonner Green Lantern by her comments recently....

6a00d8341c571153ef01156e7c2a78970c-800wi.jpg

...so I might own 2 but at least he came off better than Tonner Batman or Superman.

Their Joker looks like Phyllis Diller.
Who knows where Robert Tonner drew his inspiration for that thing. I think it's a good 3-D representation of the Joker from the 40s if it didn't have the big bouffant pale green hair.

I was collecting Tonner, but I quit due to the price. It came down to Tonner or Hot Toys, and I easily chose HT for the likeness and scale, as I've always had a fondness for 1/6th. I think Tonner's Harry Potter line was awesome, but I just wasn't committed to it enough. I'd started out collecting their Pirates line as well, but I quit with that way before HP.

I may not collect Tonner but they deserve a thread on here. Hell for the longest time I thought Dave's avatar was a promotional still from Goblet of Fire?!?

Back