Custom Medicom Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeiss

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have long searched for the perfect 1/6th scale Darth Vader. Scale issues aside, I have always liked the Medicom Vader and have believed that the figure has a lot of potential. However, there are a few issues with the figure that have always bugged me. Chief among those is the helmet. It is too small and doesn't look right when viewed from the side. So, I decided to replace it, along with some other things, to make my customized Vader.

Here is my attempt at a better (though not perfect) representation of Vader. It is not based on a specific film but I was going for a look that is resembles Vader's ESB and ROTJ costumes. I would have gone film specific but I believe that the control box on the Medicom ROTS Vader fits better compared to the box on their ROTJ figure so I used the prequel-era body suit.

Helmet: Kotobukiya Build-a-statue Vader Helmet (from the Bounty Hunters line)
Costume: ROTS Medicom Vader with ROTJ chest and shoulder armor
Cape: Hasbro Vader Sith Lords 2 pack
Gloves: Medicom Darth Maul
IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2026.jpg

Compared with Medicom Vader
IMG_2001Edited-1.jpg

From a side view. Notice how much better it looks compared to the Medicom helmet.
IMG_2002.jpg

IMG_2020-1.jpg

:emperor

Last edited:
IMG_2002.jpg

Gosh the side profile of the Medicom Vader is so... off.

Nice attempt to the modification!

Yeah, no kidding. I was so disappointing when I first saw it. The Medicom Vader's side profile doesn't look very menacing :monkey4

Which Medicom Vader is that?

Nice Custom BTW, l almost thought it was a retailer product, it's very shiny...

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

The Medicom Vader that is posed with my custom Vader is an amalgamation of the ROTJ and ROTS versions. Basically, everything on the figure is from the ROTJ version except for the cape and chest armor.

I agree that the shoulders on my custom Vader need to look a little more broad. I am going to try and add some padding under the shoulder bells and see if that helps without messing up the look of the armor.

The chain on the cape is definitely too big, which isn't surprising since it came from a Hasbro figure. Changing out the cape is something I hope to do once I find an alternative I like. I never really liked Medicom Vader's cape as I feel the material is too heavy for this scale and it doesn't flow well.

Anyway, here are some more pictures in a more natural lighting.

IMG_2041.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

IMG_2032.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

Last edited:
nice, but the lack of shoulders kills it..

:lol First time I've ever head that about a medicom body Ven :)

Seriously though, he looks fantastic mate. the cloak, as you said, needs some work. My advice would be to go buy some black spandex at the local fabric store, and some small chain at the local hobby shop, and make your own. as seen in the batman threads, black spandex makes FANTASIC 1/6th capes.

Also, Humor me, and put the ROTS shoulde/chest armor on him, and put the cape over it to see how he would look with wider shoulders.

Lerath, what you suggested about the cape is exactly what I have in mind. Last week I bought a custom Batman cape from Buddylee and I am looking forward to seeing if it is the right material for a Vader cape. If it is, I will have to find a pattern that will fit Medicom Vader...

Here are some pics I snapped of Vader with the ROTS costume:

IMG_2044.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

Here he is clapping (I was trying to do arms crossed but didn't feel like looking for the hands made for that purpose)

IMG_2052.jpg

Here he is demonstrating a little of the Medi pelvic thrust

IMG_2051.jpg

:emperor

with the cloak over his shoulders, he looks fantastic. behind his back... not so much... have you given any thought to a body-swap off the 301 kai body?

:lol First time I've ever head that about a medicom body Ven :)

Seriously though, he looks fantastic mate. the cloak, as you said, needs some work. My advice would be to go buy some black spandex at the local fabric store, and some small chain at the local hobby shop, and make your own. as seen in the batman threads, black spandex makes FANTASIC 1/6th capes.

Also, Humor me, and put the ROTS shoulde/chest armor on him, and put the cape over it to see how he would look with wider shoulders.

haha I'm open minded.. what can I say?

I may swap out the body at some point. I will first see if some kind of padding will help the issue.

Great custom! How tall is he? In my opinion I think the original medicom cape and chain would be a better fit on him than the Hasbro one.

With the larger helmet, he is just a little taller than the original Medicom Vader. He is still to short to fit in really well with the sideshow figures. However, the larger head makes the figure look better next to the Sideshow figures and I have him on a taller stand to create the illusion that he's closer to being in scale. The Medicom cape probably would look better. I broke the chain off of mine so I haven't been able to try it out. I will probably try to fix the chain (or replace it) or just make a new cape.

Thought I would add to zeiss' thread rather than littering with a new one. This is my wip Medi Vader. ANH style. Still have to change out the chest box (or find a rots suit like zeiss used), gloves and possibly make widows peak sharper. If I never get around to doing that, I like the way it is now anyway.
ANHVaderTurns.jpg

ANHVader081.jpg

Back