Old time bodybuilder Statues

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrioe-sage

Freakzoid
Reaction score
How about some old time bodybuilder statues.

From different generations like

The 30s-40s - the golden age of bodybuilding
sr144.jpg

sr126.jpg

1208959901.jpg

sr45.jpg

sr37.jpg

sr91.jpg

sr114.jpg

https://www.schwarzenegger.it/mro/reeves/sr69.jpg

https://www.schwarzenegger.it/mro/reeves/sr123.jpg

https://www.schwarzenegger.it/mro/reeves.html

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

https://www.maxcontraction.com/reeves.htm

https://ironage.us/yabbse/index.php...40b0cf9cca2239&action=printpage;topic=18879.0

Steve Reeves
Michelangelo’s concept of the perfectly formed man!

Reeves is the Greek ideal, and the western ideal, he is also a template and base design for the superhero look in comics, and used by animation studios, (such as Japanese manga, and animation)

Dr. Avard Fairbanks, a Guggenheim Fellow and one of the world's leading art figures (known as the world's greatest sculptor of President Lincoln as well as the Pony Express Monument) said:

"Steve Reeves is the epitome of a man bringing his physique into harmony with the universe he is a part of. He's the grandest example I have ever seen of Michelangelo's dream come true. It is unfortunate Steve Reeves was not living during the Renaissance period, for the masters would have worn their hands to the bone making statues from him."

In bodybuilding competition, the greatest champions not only know of his greatness, but speak his name in hallowed tones:

"Steve Reeves' physique is perfect."
- Serigo Oliva, Mr. Olympia

"A few days before the [Mr. America] contest we heard rumors about a man who had throngs of people following him along the Lake Michigan Beach front, and we couldn't imagine who could draw crowds by merely walking along the beach!"
-- George Eiferman, Mr. America

"'Immortal' is the least word used to describe Steve Reeves. His photographs are just fantastic. He symbolized the perfect physique, and he was a legend in his own time. He has been a great inspiration to many of us in the field of bodybuilding."
-- Lou Ferrigno, Mr. Universe

"'Beautiful' was not a word you usually use in describing a man, but in his case it applies."
- Bill Pearl, Mr. Universe

"The physique of the century."
- Reg Park, Mr. Universe

"The best looking, best built man God has ever created."
- Larry Scott, Mr. Olympia

"It was the Reeves movies more than anything else that inspired my training in the late 50's and early 60's" - Frank Zane, Mr. Olympia

"Michelangelo's concept of the perfectly formed man!"
- Vince Gironda

"He is a great man and has contributed much to the sport of bodybuilding … One of the best builds throughout the history of bodybuilding … Steve was a great inspiration to me."
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, Mr. Olympia

"I became interested in bodybuilding when I saw a muscle magazine with Steve Reeves' picture on the cover. I knew right then that was what I wanted to be."
-- Mike Mentzer, Mr. Universe.

The muscle magazines have likewise sung his praises over the decades to this day:

"The most admired, most looked up to, and most idolized bodybuilder of all."
-- Muscle Builder magazine

"The World's Best Built man"
- Ironman magazine

"Steve Reeves' phenomenal physique set new standards for bodybuilding … women still go bananas over him."
- Joe Weider, Muscle and Fitness magazine

"Mr. Everything…[he remains a] priceless inspiration to train and succeed in the wonderful world of bodybuilding."
- Muscle Mag International

FOTO29.jpg

Reg Park

grimekspear.jpg

Grimek

Last edited:
The 60s- 80-

arnold-schwarzenegger-056.jpg

Arnold Schwarzenegger

455514828_f5566e37d9.jpg

Sergio Oliva
sergem2.jpg

Serge Nubret

Frank-Zane-foto.jpg

Frank Zane

These figures embody the greek ideal
Classic Physique Building: Ancient Greek Roots
heracles0406.jpg

Classic physique building in the western world has its roots in the culture of the ancient Greeks. Classical and Hellenistic sculpture give ample evidence of the Greek ideal of a muscular, well-defined body of symmetrical proportions. This can be seen in the well-known sculptures of the Discus Thrower by Myron of Eleutherae (5th Century B.C.E.), the Spearbearer by Polykleitos of Argos (5th Century B.C.E.), the Scraper and Farnese Hercules by Lysippos of Sicyon (4th Century B.C.E.).

Not only was athleticism a strong cultural value among the ancient Greeks, but physical aesthetics – how the body looked – was clearly an accompanying interest. Polykleitos published a book called Canon which outlined the ideal mathematical proportions or symmetry for the various parts of the human body. This idea that the beauty of the body was dependent upon the harmonious proportions or symmetry of its parts was embodied by his sculpture the “Spear Bearer.”

Although, at this point in history, there is no evidence of bodybuilding for the sake of physical aesthetics alone, it is from the ancient Greeks that we derive our ideal of an aesthetically pleasing muscular, well-defined, and symmetrical body. (photo: above left - The "Farnese Hercules by Lysippos)
The tradegy of modern, mainstream bodybuilding is that it lost the ideal of the classic physique in favor of the gargantuan, "hulk-like" physique.

Before steroids, bodybuilders were inspired by the great classical sculptures of the ancient greeks which were muscular, proportionate, and yet attractive. Read the following excerpt from an article written by the great Reg Park (Mr Britain 1949, Mr Europe 1950, Mr Universe 1951, 1958, 1965) for Your Physique Magazine (Nov '50):

"The Classical Look for Physical Perfection

by Reg Park, Mr. Europe

When I first became interested in bodybuilding I took a new interest in not alone my own body, but in any statue or photograph which portrayed a well developed physique. I spent many hours studying the statues of the great masters at the Tate Gallery at Millbank in London, as well as at the National Gallery at Trafalgar Square. There, enchanted by the sculptural grandeur of Apollo, Discobulous, Hercules and others representative of the great Grecian art which has endured the years and remains even today the accepted peak of physical perfection, I received my first education in physical proportions and impressiveness.

I was quick to notice how each body part blended perfectly with the rest of the anatomy in these masterpieces. How Hercules, thick, powerful and heavily muscled retained this massive proportionate development throughout his entire body..." (end of quote).

Can you imagine that article having been written by today's Mr. Olympia? So the classic ideal has been lost by mainstream bodybuilding. But we don't have to follow their lead. Bodybuilding can be natural, healthy, and lead to classic, muscular, and attractive physiques. We would do well to follow the example of Reg Park! (photo above is Reg Park on the cover of Your Physique Magazine, Jan 1951). - Classic Physique Builder

https://classicphysiquebuilder.blogspot.com/search/label/Classic Physique Ideal

What is a Classic Physique?

In short, a classic physique is one which is muscular, symmetrical, yet not over or under-developed. Shoulders and chest should be broad with waist and hips narrow - producing a nice "V-taper." The arms, calves, and neck should measure close to the same size. Thighs should be straight rather than "carrot-shaped."

There should be reasonable muscle definition and separation without the extreme "shredded" or "ripped" look of a dissecting room cadaver. A glow of health should radiate from the skin. These are the basic elements.

In building the classic physique according to the Reevian Gold Standards, Shy away from exercises that stress the trapezium muscle at the base of the neck, because the bigger the traps are, the narrower your shoulders appear. Instead of square-shouldered look, a person with overdeveloped traps looks round shouldered.

Another thing to avoid is training your oblique muscles of the midsection. If you build up to much, your waist will look wider, detracting from your broad-shouldered appearance.

Steve Reeves got the idea for formulating the "classic" proportions from
looking at Jack LaLanne, who had a big chest and a small waist - in fact, Jack had a 20 inch difference between the measurement of his chest and waist.

https://www.wmob.com/images/art/jack.gif

Reeves always wanted to build build a 24 inch difference between his waist and his chest - and that become his goal.

He focused on diet and training to achieve a minuscule waist and a maximally developed chest and back. He actually built his chest and waist differential up to 23 inches but then he when back into the movies and actually had to undo a lot of the muscle building he done, so he didn't dwarf his fellow actors. So he never reached that 24 inch differential, but having that goal in mind served to keep his training on the right track and led to him cultivating a classic physique.

Similarly, he wanted to build a shoulder span of two feet from one tip of the deltoid to the other. The closest he got to this goal 23 -1/2 inches - but then he had to make another film and never reached this goal.

Its ironic, but these are the only two goal that Reeves set for him self that he never obtained.

But simply having them served to keep his training on the correct track and he never once tried to build size simply for the sake of getting 'bigger'. Every thing has to be in proportion and gear towards the 'classic' or pleasing proportionate look.

Steve reeves was the greatest bodybuilder and had the best proportions ever.

The majority of physiques to today lack the one thing that is primary to the classic physique - proportion. Easily 99 percent of the bodybuilders Competing today lack, for example, the calf development to match their arms or neck. The trap muscle is always over developed so that they can engage their "grab" or "most muscular" poses, but then they suffer the narrow-shoulder syndrome when not engaged in a total flex-out

If your goal is to have a great physique, and be strong, then you don't need the extra development in the trapezius.

PROPORTION & SYMMETRY IS THE STANDARDS By Steve Reeves

Height Optimal Weight

5'5" 160 lbs.
5'6" 165 lbs
5'7" 170 lbs
5'8" 175 lbs.
5'9" 180 lbs
5'10" 185 lbs
5'11" 190 lbs
6' 200 lbs
6'1" 210 lbs
6'2" 220 lbs
6'3" 230 lbs
6'4" 240 lbs
6'5" 250 lbs

The above figures are calculated with a medium boned person in mind. if you have heavy bones, you can add 10 pounds to the calculations and if you have light bones, you subtract 10 pounds. These are the figures that I have arrived at after studying the physiques of many champions in many sports

Once a person exceeds his ideal weight for his height, he becomes out of proportioned and not only no longer possesses a symmetrical proportioned physique, but doesn't function optimally, either. additionally, I believe if the emphasis shifts off size for the sake of size and returns to proportion and symmetry, not only will the physique look better, but it will negate the need for anabolic steroids, growth hormone injections and other heavier drugs that serve nbo purpose other than to build tissue. In fact, a person who came in heavier will be penalized for it as he would have destroyed his optimal height - to -waight ration for attaining symmetry

However, the bodyweight to height ratio would be the sole criteria for adjudication a physique. Since we also posses a bone structure that is in most cases in proportion to our height , I have further developed a method of prescribing the optimal proportions for each individual based on height and bone, size that will result in perfect symmetry

Proportion Chart

Muscle to bone ratios:
Arm = 252% of wrist
Calf = 192% of ankle
Neck = 79% of head
Chest= 148% of pelvis
Waist= 86% of pelvis
Thigh = 175% of knee

The proportion chart was calculated for men and these percentages can very from one person to another. The above proportion guidelines are calculated to be maximum measurements for a well developed, balance and symmetrical physique

I believe that if these standards of proportion were adopted and implemented by judging panels, body builders would soon have no reason to use steroids and other drugs, because their pursuit for growth for the sake of growth would actually destroy the symmetry

Any and all muscle growth should be purposeful i.e balanced or correct a muscular deficiency or lack of proportion.
image002.jpg

sr138.jpg

sr179.jpg

Steve Reeves Measurements:
Arms: 18.5"
Calves: 18.5"
Neck: 18.5'
Thighs: 27"
Chest: 54"
Waist: 30'

Height 6'1
weight 212 lbs.

This is perfection

I don't think anything compares from these eras.

There is no better embodiment of the classic physique than that of Steve Reeves, Mr. America 1947, Mr. World 1948, Mr. Universe 1950, film star (e.g., "Hercules" and "Hercules Unchained"), author (Building the Classic Physique the Natural Way and Dynamic Muscle Building), and rancher. You can visit the official page of the Steve Reeves International Society at https://www.stevereeves.com/.

In future posts, we will see other classic physiques from the Golden Age of Drug-Free Bodybuilding (1940-1959).

Last edited:
I need some decent shaped men statues to go with my women and Greek, 300, Conan statues, warriors (norse, ect..) fantasy, collection.

I have CS Moore Studio for awesome woman statues
https://www.statueforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63

You guys can stay with little gay skinny figures like brad pits if you like.

But I prefer some thing more powerful and god like.

"I became interested in bodybuilding when I saw a muscle magazine with Steve Reeves' picture on the cover. I knew right then that was what I wanted to be."

-- Mike Mentzer, Mr. Universe.

Came across an interesting read about this guy:

According to Peter McGough, editor-in-chief of FLEX magazine, stories began to surface of Mentzer exhibiting some very erratic behavior. Stories of him running naked through the streets, directing traffic, telling prophecies about the end of the world, being arrested by the police numerous times and even waiting for aliens to land were all published in magazines at one point or another. Popular bodybuilding writer Dan Duchaine even suggested that Mentzer was drinking his own urine at the time. Mentzer denied this in a 2001 interview with Ironman magazine. Nonetheless, according to McGough, some of these stories are true.[1] Mentzer was also regularly institutionalized between 1985 up until 1990, when he finally kicked his amphetamine habit. Drug free, Mentzer returned to training bodybuilders and writing for Ironman magazine and spent much of the 1990s regaining his stature in the bodybuilding industry.

I'd say this idea of old time bodybuilder statues would go over well for people who are heavily into bodybuilding. The majority of bodybuilders I've come across are fanatical about the old time icons ..and their muscles lol!

you guys have a distorted perspective if you ask me.

i get the strong feeling that the guys who think bbing is gay are fat or tiny, only a skinny or fat biatch would say something like that. i don't know about the rest of you, but i don't lift for the chicks, or guys. i do it for myself, i already have a girl. somehow being 'large' has never hampered my success with the women folk, and i have never been mistaken for a fag. besides, the brad pits are more frequently gay than the bodybuilders who are mostly alpha males. has anybody ever met a arnold sized gay guy? i never have.

There is no different in admiring women , men, cars, boats, if they have good shape
I think they looked awesome, great physiques and inspirational.

being called 'gay' or 'narcissistic' or 'muscle-bound' or any of the other stereotypes is BS

football or baseball players at least didn't have to deal with that.

Back then Bodybuilding was all about improving the aesthetics of the male physique.As well as health and fitness.

I think bodybuilders that go for the Coleman look are the gay ones, the ones that have no life outside of the gym, that shoot up all the time to get even closer to not fitting through the doorway. Bodybuilding is not a contest to see how many hormones you can shoot up or how big your veins can get. Women hate that ^^^^. I still think women like muscle mor than men, theres no way a woman would take a muscleless flab of skin over somebody with muscle and a low bodyfat percentage. Bodybuilding is acheiving a symmetric lean body that is clean and in shape. and its about prolonging you life and living healthy and happy, and reaching goal, Am I right?

I think most of us have lost sight of what a healthy, realistic physique really is, and steroids take most of the blame for that. I'd be willing to bet that 99% of the people pictured in modern bodybuilding mags are on steroids or other physique-enhancing drugs. And even the fitness mags like Men's Health aren't totally drug free.

If you still think bodybuilding is gay I suggest you pick up these.
After reading about steve reeves life you will see that bodybuilding is about reaching for goals and never giving up

https://www.home-gym.com/dynmusbuilby.html

https://www.home-gym.com/builclasphys.html

https://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/IGH/IGH0502/IGH0502i.pdf

Dont listen to this ****** bags!!! this is just not there cup of tea so they call it gay!!!:rotfl its in our nature!

you guys have a distorted perspective if you ask me.

i get the strong feeling that the guys who think bbing is gay are fat or tiny, only a skinny or fat biatch would say something like that. i don't know about the rest of you, but i don't lift for the chicks, or guys. i do it for myself, i already have a girl. somehow being 'large' has never hampered my success with the women folk, and i have never been mistaken for a fag. besides, the brad pits are more frequently gay than the bodybuilders who are mostly alpha males. has anybody ever met a arnold sized gay guy? i never have.

There is no different in admiring women , men, cars, boats, if they have good shape
I think they looked awesome, great physiques and inspirational.

being called 'gay' or 'narcissistic' or 'muscle-bound' or any of the other stereotypes is BS

football or baseball players at least didn't have to deal with that.

Back then Bodybuilding was all about improving the aesthetics of the male physique.As well as health and fitness.

I think bodybuilders that go for the Coleman look are the gay ones, the ones that have no life outside of the gym, that shoot up all the time to get even closer to not fitting through the doorway. Bodybuilding is not a contest to see how many hormones you can shoot up or how big your veins can get. Women hate that ^^^^. I still think women like muscle mor than men, theres no way a woman would take a muscleless flab of skin over somebody with muscle and a low bodyfat percentage. Bodybuilding is acheiving a symmetric lean body that is clean and in shape. and its about prolonging you life and living healthy and happy, and reaching goal, Am I right?

I think most of us have lost sight of what a healthy, realistic physique really is, and steroids take most of the blame for that. I'd be willing to bet that 99% of the people pictured in modern bodybuilding mags are on steroids or other physique-enhancing drugs. And even the fitness mags like Men's Health aren't totally drug free.

If you still think bodybuilding is gay I suggest you pick up these.
After reading about steve reeves life you will see that bodybuilding is about reaching for goals and never giving up

https://www.home-gym.com/dynmusbuilby.html

https://www.home-gym.com/builclasphys.html

https://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/IGH/IGH0502/IGH0502i.pdf

No, I didn't mean to imply body-building itself was "gay". I wish I had the dedication to stick with exercising for any period longer than a few months. However, I think if SS started producing realistic statues of mostly naked men in their speedos with muscles galore, it would look a little odd. But I do also realize this is pretty hypocritical because I'm mostly into Marvel, and I like to display my comic book heroes/villians which share many of the same traits. (Muscles, tights, posing) :D

I don't see anything wrong with statues of classic bodybuilders. Anyone who doesn't understand the sport should do a little research or at least watch Pumping Iron, it will open your eyes a bit to what the sport is really about and the things those guys and gals go through to get as close to perfection as they can.

Back when I used to work out a bit more, Pumping Iron was a big inspiration to me and with that confidence I was able to get myself into the best shape of my life. I still crave that to this day, but it's just harder to make time for that level of dedication.

Reeves and Schwarzenegger were inspirational to me, and I'm sure I am not alone.

Hey sage! Nah, I think you're misinterpreting some of the responses. The idea of golden era bodybuilder statues just doesn't appeal to a number of people, which they've labelled as being "gay" in general. Don't take it too personally :)

As I said, there would probably be a good market for your suggestion towards bodybuilders and that community, and I think SSC guys are more into the sci-fi, fantasy and movie icons. P!tu is right :D

I just came back to this thread, and noticed my post was deleted. WTF mods? I posted a reply asking "Who let the bear in?" This was AFTER Warrioe-Sage said we should stick with our "gay skinny Brad Pitt" figures.

So the guy can dish it out, but he can't take it? Maybe if he had approached the subject with a little less hostility (roid-rage), he would have found a more receptive conversation. I never implied bodybuilding was gay, but if you come around here slamming people who don't collect body building figures, then throw a hissy fit, you deserve a little throwback.

Deleting user's posts without notifying them is messed up. Why don't you just delete this whole thread and make Warrioe-Sage repost it without the attitude?

So you b$tch that everyone is calling bodybuilders gay, and then you call bodybuilders who don't subscribe to your philosophy gay? Hypocritical a little?

I don't see anything wrong with statues of classic bodybuilders. Anyone who doesn't understand the sport should do a little research or at least watch Pumping Iron, it will open your eyes a bit to what the sport is really about and the things those guys and gals go through to get as close to perfection as they can.

Back when I used to work out a bit more, Pumping Iron was a big inspiration to me and with that confidence I was able to get myself into the best shape of my life. I still crave that to this day, but it's just harder to make time for that level of dedication.

Reeves and Schwarzenegger were inspirational to me, and I'm sure I am not alone.

*applauds DA* Thanks for seeing and respecting it for what it is. Pumping iron is intense. I never knew how intense it was until I did a show. The others who have competed on the forum know what I mean. The dieting.. cutting out most fats and sugars, to all. Eating nothing but clean complex carbs, lean proteins from fish and chicken. No sodium, lots of water.. to depleting the body entirely of water 24 hours out, taking water shedder pills (dandelion root) that make you urine out more fluids. All the tanning, free of any body hair (that part sucks), so that people see every bit of definition and muscle tone in your body, to all the muscle striations. It's also very costly endeavor too. My last competition cost me a pretty penny, and for just for 5 minutes of stage time... not to mention the near thousand who were in attendance at that show. Do I recommend it? I can't say I do. It's not healthy to get into competitive stage condition, both physically and mentally, and it isn't easy on the wallet either.

BTW I am more into natural body building. Leaner, smaller muscular types that look realistic. Where it's more of a being fit look, rather than insane mass of muscle. Not to take away from these Goliath's though. Always fascinating to see how people can push the human body, even if it is anabolic-ally enhanced. More-so, my thing is to be in the best possible shape I can get myself into. How my physique develops is just an added bonus. A lot of these bigger guys don't have a good cardiovascular system. I do. I run 6 times a week, sometimes even up to an hour a day. Takes a lot of hard work, proper dieting, and dedication clean or not to get to achieve high levels on a physical plane.

By dieting, it's knowing when to eat, when to stop, and how much portions per day. It's knowing and listening to your body. Being in sync with it, which the majority of people out there aren't. Most people ignore their body when it screams out for hunger, or over indulge themselves when it comes to the size of portions they consume. You treat your body good, and it will return the favour. It's that simple!

I always recommend healthy living to everyone as would everyone with half a brain would. The other stuff, not so much. :)

Last edited:
I just came back to this thread, and noticed my post was deleted. WTF mods? I posted a reply asking "Who let the bear in?" This was AFTER Warrioe-Sage said we should stick with our "gay skinny Brad Pitt" figures.

So the guy can dish it out, but he can't take it? Maybe if he had approached the subject with a little less hostility (roid-rage), he would have found a more receptive conversation. I never implied bodybuilding was gay, but if you come around here slamming people who don't collect body building figures, then throw a hissy fit, you deserve a little throwback.

Deleting user's posts without notifying them is messed up. Why don't you just delete this whole thread and make Warrioe-Sage repost it without the attitude?

Actually he made that post long after the stupid and ridiculous comments were made. Besides, what are you 10? Some guy made a moronic comment so why can't I? Be the bigger man and move on.

Actually he made that post long after the stupid and ridiculous comments were made. Besides, what are you 10? Some guy made a moronic comment so why can't I? Be the bigger man and move on.

At least you acknowledge he was being a moron. Same thing I was trying to point out.

Thanks mom.

At least you acknowledge he was being a moron. Same thing I was trying to point out.

Thanks mom.

*sigh*

I wasn't admitting to anything. I was going with your mentality concerning the issue, and btw I wasn't condoning it. The guy was just in defense mode, because some guys said some hurtful things about something he loves and does himself... Most on this forum, including yourself would have reacted the same way. Is it right? No. Two wrongs don't make a right, but seriously man, you need to grow up.

You don't know anything about me from a handful of posts on an internet forum. I don't want to be the next Shai or anything. I was around for the thread before all the posts were deleted. I read the conversation as it was.

Back