Hot Toys Will Turner/James Dean reviews

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
It's all about hot toys tonight...and by that I mean Hot Toys of course, although they are fairly hot in their own right. I'm looking at the Pirates of the Caribbean Will Turner, easily the best Orlando Bloom sculpt we've gotten. He also has an amazing outfit, but he's a tad light on the accessories.

Jeff Parker, resident Hot Toys expert, is looking at their first Movie Icons figure, James Dean. He gives it his usual thorough review. You can find all the links at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading, and have a great weekend!

Michael
MWC

review_jamesdean_10.jpg

Damn, that is freakin sweet!!!! Makes me want to buy one.

I kinda wish I was a bigger fan of James Dean, I'm kinda glad that Sideshow and Hot Toys decide to go down this route instead of always focusing on Aliens and the such.

I kinda wish I was a bigger fan of James Dean, I'm kinda glad that Sideshow and Hot Toys decide to go down this route instead of always focusing on Aliens and the such.

Sideshow has nothing to do with the James Dean figure.

Nice to see yours and Jeff's scores, are so close too. How come you decided to have two reviews of Will on your site?

Last edited:
I gather you did the Will Turner review Michael. Nice to see yours and Jeff's scores, are so close too. How come you decided to have two reviews of Will on your site?

This isn't a first Creecher. Mike has done this atleast several times were someone will review a piece, and he will follow suit reviewing the same item. This isn't the first or the last. Why not have more than one review of the same piece? More the merrier I always say, and I love that it's available on one site. Infact, I don't know why Mike doesn't make his site the Rottentomatoes of collectibles.

Tabulate all of the reviews....I am a fan of that idea, because I tend to favour multiple opinions vs. just the one. One person saying a movie is crap is nothing compared to 100 people saying the same thing. That's why when I go see movies, I steer clear from movies with a 20% freshness rate.

I just wished Mike had reviewed Bender along with Kif, so I could have seen the Robot Devil BAF completed! :)

Yes, I see that Michael intends to do it again. I asked the question before reading the review, and edited my post after reading the intro to the review. I'd still rather know what Michael thinks, than you Eli. :lol :monkey5 Nyair nyair. However, I am pleased you haven't received your figures yet Eli, so I won't have to worry about your review for a while yet. Will I? Get it? WILL I. :lol Don't worry Eli. In this instance I don't care what Michael thinks, I've had mine for weeks, and know how good it is already. :monkey5

Maybe you've stumbled on a good idea Eli. A site, where everyone can comment on any and all figures. You know, that just might work. Why didn't someone come up with that one sooner? :pow

Actually I do care what Michael thinks. Especially, what he thinks, because it will give me a fixed point, so I can judge where figures stand against each other. I like Jeffs reviews too, and am getting used to his style. I just prefer the harder, bare bones line Michael takes. Now, why not incorporate a search function on your site Michael?

Yes, I see that Michael intends to do it again. I asked the question before reading the review, and edited my post after reading the intro to the review. I'd still rather know what Michael thinks, than you Eli. :lol :monkey5 Nyair nyair. However, I am pleased you haven't received your figures yet Eli, so I won't have to worry about your review for a while yet. Will I? Get it? WILL I. :lol Don't worry Eli. In this instance I don't care what Michael thinks, I've had mine for weeks, and know how good it is already. :monkey5

Maybe you've stumbled on a good idea Eli. A site, where everyone can comment on any and all figures. You know, that just might work. Why didn't someone come up with that one sooner? :pow

Actually I do care what Michael thinks. Especially, what he thinks, because it will give me a fixed point, so I can judge where figures stand against each other. I like Jeffs reviews too, and am getting used to his style. I just prefer the harder, bare bones line Michael takes. Now, why not incorporate a search function on your site Michael?

NO! I mean... bah! You're such an ass. :(

I mean... bah... I lost the will to care.

Looks great, I'll probably pick one up on eBay later on when they get cheaper or even a loose one, but I'm leaning more towards the Brando, there are more kitbash possibilities with Brando.

Well Eli, I admit I was having a chuckle at your expense, but I didn't intend to hurt your feelings. I'm sorry that happened. I consider you a friend and may have taken some liberties in that regard. I wont rib you anymore.

I just wished Mike had reviewed Bender along with Kif, so I could have seen the Robot Devil BAF completed! :)

The Bender review is coming next week...like I said, for some reason when I preordered I only ordered Kif. I blame the mad cow. But I got Bender this week, so I'll rectify the shortcoming.

There is - top of the screens under "Search Reviews". Allows you to search by lists or just use the google search box.

I also like the idea of a RT style set up, but I haven't quite figured out how to do it yet...often the problem is that there aren't enough reviews of the same figure out there (unlike a new film), and even if they are, it's a ton of work finding them. Perhaps if you took a registered reviewer approach though...hmmmm...let me ponder that some more.

Doh!!
I just realised I didn't mention one of the packagings highlights, the figure comes surrounded in sponge/foam! This is just like the Enterbay packaging (remember how Woody was packed in Toy Story two). Anyways, sorry for not covering it, but here are a coule of pics so you can see how it looks-

innerbox.jpg

unpacking.jpg

Infoampacking.jpg

And another detail shot of those amazing jeans for good measure!
jeansdetail1.jpg

Well I am a huge James Dean fan ever since i saw 'Rebel Without a Cause'. What a tragedy he died so young, with such a great career ahead of him. This figure rocks, and I think I'll have mine from DSC next week or so. I love the pose above with the open book and the fig mimicking the picture. That is awesome!!! :joy

Man, that is some really classy packaging! I passed on Dean, but have Brando on order... hope he turns out as nice :rock

Well Eli, I admit I was having a chuckle at your expense, but I didn't intend to hurt your feelings. I'm sorry that happened. I consider you a friend and may have taken some liberties in that regard. I wont rib you anymore.

No no, rib away.

I think it's great when people make fun... as long as it's tasetful.

Back