3/4 Scale Gollum Bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photoshopmagician

Super Freak
Reaction score
I was searching through ebay and saw the 3/4 scale Gollum bust for such a low price. I have never seen the value of it go up, and has never sold for a large sum of money. It's one of the "original" sideshow/weta pieces, and yet it doesn't sell very well as the rest.

I own the bust myself and wouldn't even think of selling it. It's probably my favorite piece out of all of Sideshow's stuff and is very special to me.

Does anyone have a clue as to why it's so unpopular with it's incredible detail and massive scale?? It has always baffled me! haha

The bust is fantastic but the paint apps are horrible. At least on mine. Very sloppy nameplate on the base. His bloodshot eyes are the same color as his skin and his teeth and the sides of his strands of hair were left unpainted. Truly, some painter in china had to have come into work with a hangover or something.

Again, this bust is incredible, a real keeper. Its one of the very few SSW pieces that I would consider repainting or at least touching up.

It also came out at a time when we were being "Gollum-ed" to death. The SSW Gollum DVD piece and its companion, the bust from Rubies (which also looks good), the two different life-size ones available, Endless Toybiz variations; the guy was everywhere and some folks at the time just felt they didn't need another.

Over time, its sort of slipped through the cracks, possibly since its the only 3/4 scale that was done. Curiously, it was originally planned to have a Bronze Variant (see Fell Beast Thread lol)! At least that would have fixed those paint apps!

Last edited:
Wow, that's awesome; and the faux bronze is really quite easy to do. I might try that.

Are the paint apps a widespread problem on this peice?? I was one day considering picking it up.. But not if its going to bother me w/ a wack paint job ( like my sloppy baby rog )

Are the paint apps a widespread problem on this peice?? I was one day considering picking it up.. But not if its going to bother me w/ a wack paint job ( like my sloppy baby rog )

The paint job on mine is fine. I don't see anything wrong with it and love it!!! I'd say go for it and buy one because they are lower priced than retail. Even at retail it's worth it! You will not regret buying this piece; one of my favorite pieces!

Yes, what ever happened to the poor Gollum bust... . I thought I was very lucky when I managed to snatch one from Sideshow, back in the days. ES 1500. Wow. Cost me like $350 with shipping and taxes. I was pretty shocked to see that bust at a fare only one year later for $140. Need I say more?
Even if my bust has a good paint job, and even if I feel it's one of my favorite SSC Weta pieces, I can think of many attractive ways to spend the $210 I've obviously waisted.
An ES of 1500 (like for the 3/4 Gollum bust) is not THAT much, but it's a fact that SSC killed the LotR Weta line by increasing the edition sizes to ridiculous numbers in the likes of 9500. An ES of 3000 was already to large for some pieces. I collect more selective today, that's for sure.

Saw one today at my LCS and was reminded why I never bought this bust. The paint app's looked blotchy, and the matte or flat finish just doesn't look right on gollum.

got mine today
the only gripe i have with mine is there is little too none of the shiny film they use over the eyes but on mine Gollum's eyes look dry oh well they used it on his mouth and lips area so its not all bad

got mine today
the only gripe i have with mine is there is little too none of the shiny film they use over the eyes but on mine Gollum's eyes look dry oh well they used it on his mouth and lips area so its not all bad

Awesome! Hope you like the bust as much as I do!

I still don't get why it sells for so much! Sure I like it, but it isn't $260 good. Does it show up less often than the others? I actually think the Pippin bust is better :D Sam has a great likeness too, and Bilbo..

got mine today

Awesome! Hope you like the bust as much as I do!

I do like it the paint job is not as bad considering how much bad stuff I had heard about it
Does anyone know what the stuff is that SSW Painters use over the eyes/teeth etc too give it a moist glistening affect?
As the eyes on mine have little too none on them :monkey2

I see why some people call the paint apps "Blotchy"
I took my Gollum bust out of its box for the first time in a few weeks (Reason I am still trying to find a good place to put it)
And I noticed that the right eye is colored allot more yellow than the left eye and also there is none of the paint app which makes the eyes look shiny (I don't know what its called, maybe someone could help?) which is sort of a shame as it makes the pieces less striking
I still love the piece but I am thinking of doing a repaint over the eyes, but I have never done a repaint before anyone got any tips?
Cheers

I still don't get why it sells for so much! Sure I like it, but it isn't $260 good. Does it show up less often than the others? I actually think the Pippin bust is better :D Sam has a great likeness too, and Bilbo..

There are a lot less Merry busts around than any other unnumbered bust, that's the reason why.
If you want a complete Fellowship, he's your only option - I had to bite the bullet, too to complete my Fellowship in "bust" size last year. At least I was lucky enough to find one without the box for a "good" price.

Thats insane

What's not insane in collecting? Insane or not - that has been the average price for this bust over the last 2, 3 years.

Back