1/4 scale Stormtrooper sculpt

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natty15d

Freakalicious
Reaction score
I love large scale maquettes, and i thought id try my hand at making one.

Im going to try to make a complete 1/4 scale Stormtrooper, with cloth undersuit and possibly a posable 1/4 scale mannequin

VERY rough so far but its just starting, the helmet has to be spot on.
If i cant get that right theres no point in doing the rest of the costume

So far here is the VERY ROUGH start: more pics here:https://www.themppc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13797#post13797

latest update.

please ignore the rubber band. its just there to hold the back pieces on for the photos.

the dome splits in 4 and the back splits in 2. This is so that once i am happy with the shapes & i have matched the profiles of the plastic formers, i can remove the sections, trim back the plastic formers, re-attach the sections and use bondo to fill in the gaps.

the areas with pencil hatching need more bondo added, there will be more but those are the worst areas

more pics can be seen here: https://www.themppc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13917#post13917

Last edited:
If your Boba Fett helmet is anything to go by, this new project is going to turn out fantastic. If I were able to afford it , an accurate 1/4 rendition of the Stormtroopers could easily get me into collecting this scale of figures.

I really look forward to seeing this progress.

thats the basic shape of the face almost there, time to start adding in cheek details and the frown, lenses and chin.

Looking good mate - keep it up and I look forward to seeing the final product!
:stormtroo

Scriff

added the cheek details, a quick sand and a blast of primer.

still alot of work to do but im happy with the shapes now

Nathan

You're making excellent progress. looks great. I was wondering, are you going with the Hero or Stunt look on this helmet. I guess you could sculpt one version then make a recast of that helmet and moddify appropriatley so you have both versions :rock!

clocked up a few more hours, i really need to learn to take better pictures

Nathan

finished the faceplate for now, just a couple of very minor tweaks to do to it.

starting on the rest of the helmet now.

the bondo pieces i made earlier have been reglued in place and the plastic guides i used for the profiles have been trimmed back so that i can bondo the joins.

added in an arty shadow shot but as usual its a bit blurry due to lack of light

face plate has had the side tubes thinned very slightly and i reworked the rear section of the helmet.
the dome has been tweaked and the indents added.
i have also started on the microphones for the chin.
all being well ill start the ears tonight
adding in the wonkyness of the original helmets has been fun, it would have been so much easier to make the 1/4 scale version uniform but then it just wouldnt look right.

Great work, I couldn't imagine the headach of trying to sculpt something like that. You've done a great job!

only had an hour to work on the helmet last night.
Started adding the ears, will hopefully add in the rest of the detail over the next couple of nights

ear you go, latest update :eek:
worked on the ears again last night and gave them a blast of undercoat, they need to be tweaked slightly and the disks softened.

Also need to add the raised detail to the disks.

Also found a really neat way to replicate the rubber trim for the brow and it can be moved to have hero or stunt versions.

Back