Toys City 1/6 scale Rooftop Diorama base - quick review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassafras

Super Freak
Reaction score
So I'd seen this on the 'bay and liked the degraded industrial feel - also reminded me a bit of the feel of Iron Studios' poly CW 1/4 scale bases - e.g. this look like something I could display my Marvel HT's with...

Toys_city_roof_stock.jpg

But. Don't own any Toys City stuff and on the 'bay thought it was kinda pricey for an unknown company:horror - maybe it would be some *cheap* plastic - no way to tell from the pics. But a while back Monkey Depot had the "full set" (with the fence) at a better price (doesn't seem to be in stock there now) so I PO'd....(on the 'bay there's the "cheaper" set too that doesn't have the fence and long upper pipe)

Got a 3-layer styro box of parts today - no instructions - but thankfully a bit heavy....

Toys_city_roof_parts.jpg

Toys_city_roof_parts4.jpg

So, the good:

1) Made some sort of heavy resin? Resin/plastic and the fence is actually metal. Isn't cheap and lighweight.
2) Like the paint job. Has that scuzzy degraded roof feel. Nice casting. Magnets OK.
3) Good size - you could do a nice display with 2-3 figs...measures about 14 inches across, 15 inches high, 10.5 inches deep.

The bad:

If you're gonna make something like this for *&&^% sake make sure it stays together. OMG:(. The fence attaches by magnets to the wall, but it's not flush. That would be OK except, besides that, the short pipe section with the wheel attaches by magnets, and then this heavy resin cross pipe attaches in and is loosely supported by a long resin post that has a single magnet and the whole pipe structure just wobbles - and falls.:mad:

Oh, and the ladder doesn't attach by anything, really, so it just falls down. No slots for it or anything. Just to take these quick cells shots took some patience and then I took everything down again until I get can get some glue or putty in there and stabilize things. It fell apart on me 3 times - thankfully on carpet.

But I'd buy it again anyway at the price I paid:cool:. Heck, I can glue and putty, no problem. Because for what I wanted it for - my CW HT figs - it looks awesome. Got the right gritty industrial feel. And IMO for these quick shots can't think of a better display for the Winter Soldier - we never really see him take the shots that get Nick Fury, but:

Toys_city_roof_WS1.jpg

Toys_city_roof_WS3.jpg

Toys_city_roof_WS4.jpg

The fun I can have with this. Like add dim lights and some roof trash. And a Cap, maybe. Once I get it sturdy:pfft:. Overall, I'd give it a 6-7, because it's pretty good, except for the stupidity of having to stabilize it. :cuckoo: Heck, I'd buy another one:cool:, if the price ever comes down. Great idea, decent materials, good paint, sloppy engineering....:cuckoo:

thanks for the review and opinion. :clap
Was thinking about buying one, maybe... well, maybe not if the engineering is so badly done.

Back