Who do you guys use for insurance on your stuff

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dregs

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just wondered who you guys use. I looked at all my stuff today and said damn thats alot of stuff and im not insured!

I belive Swabie uses Collectibles Insurance Ageny. I was just looking at the rates and wow how could you not insure the stuff at that price. $20,000 coverage is just over $100 a year. Thats not bad at all.

EVILFACE said:
Mine is covered with my home owners insurance through Allstate.
Double check that, most Home Owners don't cover collectibles. I know mine doesn't. I would hate to have you think its covered and then have them say its not.

EVILFACE said:
Mine is covered with my home owners insurance through Allstate.

I have a seperate 'Rider' for my collectibles. I keep a list of every piece, SN#, and replacement value. I'm almost ashamed to say that I'm up to $17,000 in coverage a year :eek: My 'Rider' is about $40-45 for my current amount.

Granted you'd be covered financially with insurance, but it won't get you the item again, and possibly if something happens, you may not even be able to track one on an ebay or anything. Ya I've spent lots on collectibles over the years, but if I lost my items, I wouldn't care about having the money back, I'd be saddened to not have the precious items and memories they had with them, insurance can't fix that.

MaulFan said:
Granted you'd be covered financially with insurance, but it won't get you the item again, and possibly if something happens, you may not even be able to track one on an ebay or anything. Ya I've spent lots on collectibles over the years, but if I lost my items, I wouldn't care about having the money back, I'd be saddened to not have the precious items and memories they had with them, insurance can't fix that.

I definatly would want the $ and I am sure I could get most, if not all, of my stuff again but I bet there are a lot of people who wouldn't be able to find some of their items again... that would suck. I doubt I have enough "Value" to make any extra insurance worthwile but maybe I need to at least look into it.

I really need to look into this. Too much stuff to leave uninsured.

KitFisto said:
I really need to look into this. Too much stuff to leave uninsured.

Right now, if something happened to one of my GG busts, it'd pay for itself. Imagine of something happened to a PF or Marvel Grail :monkey2 . With your even higher end CM's coming, you certainly need to look into it. Mine is insured for any breakage for any reason. So if something happens while dusting or moving, it's covered. It's also good to have pics of everything.

I keep an alligator in my collection room to insure that nothing gets stolen.

But I am having a hell of a time teaching him how to carry my collection out in the event of a fire.

King Darkness said:
I keep an alligator in my collection room to insure that nothing gets stolen.

But I am having a hell of a time teaching him how to carry my collection out in the event of a fire.

:lol :rotfl :lol :rotfl :lol

Better than my Baboon guard....

baboon.jpg

Just head up, I was reading the Collectibles Insurance Ageny brochure and it makes mention that statues are not cover. I belive they mean Fine art statues but I have emailed to make sure. I would say a large % of our collections could be considered statues.

I have my insurance through CIA, and actually had to file two claims with them. In both instances they were very easy to work with and the claims were processed quickly and fairly.

I'm not sure what they mean by statues, not being covered, but one of my claims did involve statues, so they have covered them in the past. It pays to make sure though. I think just about all your collection would fall under a general policy with them. Certain things (stamps come to mind) must have a second policy. Hope that helps.

Bob

mfoga said:
I belive Swabie uses Collectibles Insurance Ageny. I was just looking at the rates and wow how could you not insure the stuff at that price. $20,000 coverage is just over $100 a year. Thats not bad at all.

I do use CIA. They are great to work with. The big thing for me is that they cover my entire collection for everything (flood, fire, theft)... INCLUDING earthquake! Which is huuuuuuuge for me living in SoCal. I don't carry earthquake insurance on my house since it is ridiculously priced... and a standard homeowner's rider would not have covered my stuff against earthquake - which is my major fear. Also, CIA covers me if anything in my collection is damaged while being moved or delivered anywhere. So if I lent a piece to someone to display at a convention and it got broken in transit... they'll pay the claim.

I have never heard of anyone having a problem with CIA. As stink above just said... they are great to work with and don't give people the "run around" when filing a claim. Also... it's nice to not have to give detailed lists of everything or receipts every time you buy a piece. Basically, you have to list anything over $5000 separately... otherwise just a group listing of your items. For instance... I just list my Genlte Giant mini-bust collection as a group and approximate its replacement value. I re-adjust the amounts every six months or year to adjust for all my new stuff. I believe they give you a standard 2% increase every year for appreciation. (I think it's 2% not positive.)

I have never heard of this statue clause. I listed all my Sideshow PF pieces as statues and my mini-busts and the application was approved by them no problem. Maybe it does refer to like fine art, museum-type statues or something. Please PM me when you hear back from them, mfoga.

Last edited:
it's under my home owner's insurance, included in with the value of the contents of everything in my house...i forgot how much it is but it's more than everything in my house is worth..pretty large amount.....now where are those matches.....

What is says is this:

Not covered: bullion, gold, coins containing gold or platinum, jewelry, watches, fures, fine arts and objects of fine art such as origianal paintings, statues or simular objects, erotic material,etc...

I belive they mean fine art statues but worded very poorly.

I will let everyone know the exact answer.

Back