Will all of our Iron Man figures eventually have pink parts.... probably.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessedart

Super Freak
Reaction score
For those who remember the dreaded hot toys pink panty issues of the earlier released figures you're probably thinking that that problem is long in the rearview mirror and has been corrected. However I'm here to say it probably has never been corrected it probably has just been lessened because of the harder plastic that they're using on the majority of the figures. But here are some examples as to how that problem still exists and probably will forever.

I've become very intimate with this process and of fixing it. Thank God for Tamiya clear red...
What you have to understand is the problem is caused by the fact that all of our beautiful candy apple red figures are actually not painted metallic red but are painted clear red over silver. And for whatever reason silver paint with clear red on softer plastic just doesn't last no matter what. In time it's going to turn pink and the fact that many of our Iron Man figures still have softer plastic, means at some point I'm going to have some pink parts.

Right Now in my collection in fact, the following Iron Man figures have pink parts.

Neca 1/4 mk7.... completely pink chest and panties
Sh figuarts mk43..... one pink arm and pink wrist covers
Figma mk7... completely pink ankle guards and wrist guards
Marvel select hulk buster.... almost half the figure has faded to a pink color
Sentinel re edit..... two different figures have hands that are turning pink
Play Imaginative mk7.... well known at this point but the panties were pink
Arts spirits 1/9 mk4...... pink ankle guards and pink wrist guards some pink on the chest

All of these issues have less been corrected by removing the parts and spraying them with clear red. But if you look at the actual parts that are turning pink it's always the same it's always the softer plastic pieces. So even on a figure that has mostly hard plastic if there are any areas of softer rubbery like plastic they will start to fade in time. And if you think about the fact that the Marvel Select Hulkbuster and my sh figure Arts figures are actually pretty new it shows how this problem still hasn't gone away. For example if you collect Marvel Legends and you try to buy the older toy Biz silver Centurion ...pretty much everyone on the market available is Pink.

One of the reasons why the problem seems lesser than it used to be it's because the figures are using more and more harder plastic which seems less affected but like the examples I listed above these hard plastic figures still have softer materials on them usually the hands the feet or any areas where the plastic needs to flex or if the plastic is small and thin and they're afraid of breakage , the manufacturer will use a softer rubber like plastic. All of those areas will be susceptible.
Just recently this week I fixed all that I listed except the Marvel Select Hulkbuster , haven't done that one yet but all the other ones were fixed.

I'm also wondering if having the figures in display cabinets under bright LED lights makes the problem worse. I have no knowledge if it does as I don't know what the LEDs emit that may damage paint. But suffice to say it seems like even if it's a small area like a fist or a wrist guard I'm still fighting the dreaded Pink Panty issue.

The good news is just a few coats of clear red bring it back to 100% brand new glossy deep red condition so it's a pretty easy problem to fix.

So grab yourself some clear red paint just in case for the future.

20170111_100412.jpg

20170111_100431.jpg

These two pictures which I should have of course taken them before as opposed to just the after. Anyway that chest was almost completely bright bright pink as was the panties on the mk7 well all I did was mask off the surrounding area and shoot it with clear red and it looks just as good as new.

Not to be a jerk but it sounds more likely that there's an issue with the manner you display or store your figures.

Heat, humidity and light cause and accelerate the issue. So yes, if you leave your figures under intense light, even led, for long periods that will cause issues as it heats the material.

My original IM2 MK6 hasnt faded but the hands of my Iron Patriot did.

This topic is incredibly played out. "Harder plastic" and different layers of paint are not the issue here. What Motu said. Use silica gel ect. Blah blah blah.

Sorry for being dismissive, but until someone with a masters in material science or conservation chimes in, my ears are closed. :wink1:

My MK IV doesn't have any discoloration and that's one of the figs that most notorious for it.

I don't ever have my figs in direct sunlight though.

This topic is incredibly played out. "Harder plastic" and different layers of paint are not the issue here. What Motu said. Use silica gel ect. Blah blah blah.

Sorry for being dismissive, but until someone with a masters in material science or conservation chimes in, my ears are closed. :wink1:

IMO posts on problems and solutions are appreciated. Some folks are newer collectors, even if a topic is revisited. Specifics on which paint or glue are useful, or which vinyl/plastic protector. There are online articles from museums on plastic degrading even kept in perfect conditions. If it's the "plastisizer" breaking down and causing greasiness in some figs in some parts, I can see paints being affected. At least with fabric dyes reds can be unstable anyway.

Re the reds on plastic fading, maybe that's why Iron Studios seems to be proud of using car paint on its latest IM poly $$$.

I have all of the Iron Man figures from the first and second film, none of them have had the dreaded "pink panty" syndrome yet and all were bought and displayed when they were first released. I have them displayed on shelves in an office, with standard room lights but the lights aren't on all day and the blinds are drawn almost 100% of the time so natural light isn't really coming in either. I might have to side with Motuxmen and say that these instances usually have to do with display situations more than anything else but who knows, maybe eventually I'll have a Valentine's variant naturally occur.

I've been doing 1:1 car painting/spraying. Even urethane car paint oxidise over long periods of time exposed to the elements especially light. Paints are affected greatly by UV light which is present in sunlight. It oxidises the paint thereby causing it to "fade" over time. You can slow or delay this process by correctly applying your paint starting from surface preparation, proper primer, layers of base paint, and top paint. Then the key here is a very strong and durable top coat which is designed to be UV light resistant to prevent or at least slow down oxidation of the base paint. This sound "crazy" or "over the top" but I couldn't think of any other solution. Even the real car will have oxidised paint at some point no matter what you do or apply protective wax over a well prep paint.
I couldn't tell you about the lights used on display cases as to wether it contains some UV light spectrum.
You also have to factor in the plastic material, room temp, humidity etc. Most museum collections that are priceless is stored in a controlled environment to prevent degradation by light, humidity, temperature, moisture, oxygen etc.

IMO posts on problems and solutions are appreciated. Some folks are newer collectors, even if a topic is revisited. Specifics on which paint or glue are useful, or which vinyl/plastic protector. There are online articles from museums on plastic degrading even kept in perfect conditions. If it's the "plastisizer" breaking down and causing greasiness in some figs in some parts, I can see paints being affected. At least with fabric dyes reds can be unstable anyway.

Re the reds on plastic fading, maybe that's why Iron Studios seems to be proud of using car paint on its latest IM poly $$$.

I really appreciate your comments. Sometimes I just scratch my head. I'm almost 50 years old and I've been collecting for probably 40 of those years I love the hobby and I love the people. But sometimes I just wonder why I bother. I thought it was a good idea to explain to people who may be new why some of their collection may have paint issues.
And what I get instead is comments like it's your fault for putting them in a lit up display case you must be doing something wrong you're an idiot. Because of course actually displaying your figures in an actual light up case is of course very wrong right. I've never understood negative posted comments about someone trying to explain an issue and help Rectify it. But I've definitely learned my lesson. Won't happen again.

And by the way the reason I thought to post this was that two figures that arrived this week had paint issues 1 to a small degree and one to a larger degree and both were brand-new non displayed and not kept in sunlight or in an overly bright display case
And although I'm not an engineer I don't have to be Mensa candidate to see that this is only happening on one type of soft plastic. So I thought it was worth a mention.
But in any case so be it.

I wish someone would have a definitive answer to why the softer plastic fades but for now I take all the Iron Men hands out of the box and keep them wrapped in a microfiber cloth because when I left the Patriot hands in the box they faded so maybe contact with the foam had a little to do with it? I dont know but they havent faded yet.

I really appreciate your comments. Sometimes I just scratch my head. I'm almost 50 years old and I've been collecting for probably 40 of those years I love the hobby and I love the people. But sometimes I just wonder why I bother. I thought it was a good idea to explain to people who may be new why some of their collection may have paint issues.
And what I get instead is comments like it's your fault for putting them in a lit up display case you must be doing something wrong you're an idiot. Because of course actually displaying your figures in an actual light up case is of course very wrong right. I've never understood negative posted comments about someone trying to explain an issue and help Rectify it. But I've definitely learned my lesson. Won't happen again.

And by the way the reason I thought to post this was that two figures that arrived this week had paint issues 1 to a small degree and one to a larger degree and both were brand-new non displayed and not kept in sunlight or in an overly bright display case
And although I'm not an engineer I don't have to be Mensa candidate to see that this is only happening on one type of soft plastic. So I thought it was worth a mention.

Sadly it appears that no good deed goes unpunished...

Hah - yeah, tamiya clear red is a godsend, though I've been using it for customising rather than repairs - this is a thankful response btw. It's good to get outside confirmation that it's a decent match for most Iron Man reds!

Yeah, red pigments are amongst the least colourfast of the modern dye compounds we use, and to top it off all plastics degrade. All of them. Unstable, soft, highly plasticised mixes especially. (Throwing the Materials Science Masters in there since it was brought up...) Yep soft plastics do leach their plasticisers left right and center, and tend to go brittle with age. (Hell - Degradation in this context being anything chemical/physical that we don't really want, so even the relatively reliable polyurethane goes to brittle hell but for a different reason.) We can slow it down with careful storage, but honestly there's not a lot we can do about it.

Though it is reassuring that most of these things will probably outlive us all and either be strange curios or reused for resources/fuel down the line.

Don't do that. Folks like me like futzing and working with their hands and I didn't even KNOW what was up with the IM pink panties - I thought people were getting discolored IMs from the factory LOL. Takes a while to read stuff. Then I read the LEGO collectors have trouble with white bricks yellowing and oozing parts and splitting vinyl arms. Maybe it's no big deal if you're trading or selling as soon as the next IM comes along, but I keep my figs. And it's other collectors - especially the experienced - who can help if there's a problem. I didn't know either that figs should be kept out of flourescent light as well as sunlight.

Folks don't want to read something they can move on, that's all.

Good advice are always welcome. Many of us collectors are not equipped with knowledge on preservation, etc. It is through discussions and interactions like these that our knowledge & experience grow over the years. It has been informative reading on your findings :duff

Good post! Honestly I'm more worried about my vinyl stuff than my action figures, because the vinyl typically has more complicated paint. Which is to say, I can spray some Clear Red to fix pink plastic on an Iron Man, but there's no way I can repair something like this chap if it gets discolored29355357345_6778f75076 (1).jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Good post! Honestly I'm more worried about my vinyl stuff than my action figures, because the vinyl typically has more complicated paint. Which is to say, I can spray some Clear Red to fix pink plastic on an Iron Man, but there's no way I can repair something like this chap if it gets discoloredView attachment 316061

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wow. I suppose an oxy cleaning solution could be tried if there ever is an issue - but, yeah that would be job for a pro - IF. It's crazy - folks have rubber and vinyl toys that were played with and beat up, and have held up w. no problems. LOL I had thought HT used "elite" materials $$$.

Back