Moving soon- tips and suggestions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krzykoopa

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Recently and albeit a little suddenly I will be moving. I wanted to ask the board members who have moved if they have any advice or tips for moving? I started boxing up my collection of 1/4 stuff here and there to lighten the overall process and still have a lot more of 1/4 and bigger, 1/6, figures, art (framed and unframed) to go. I wont be moving to far from where I currently live and wont be using movers. Any pit falls to avoid? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

**** I have the boxes for all my statues/figures

Drive careful and tell your insurance to make sure you are covered to transport them. If you have the original boxes you should be fine, just go slow packing them up.

Statues, pack them well and pray. Figures, most of them are just plastic and cloth, wrap them in some bath towels/tea towels, they'll survive fine. Art, anything with glass could be a concern, again, pray.

On the plus side, generally glass will just crack, and the artwork underneath will be unscathed, and you just get it reglassed. Cost you some money, but that's why you work.

Don't sweat it too much. A lot of the tales of woe you'll hear are from drama queens. Your average TV these days is far more fragile than your toys, and I've moved a few of them in my time with no worries.

Statues, pack them well and pray. Figures, most of them are just plastic and cloth, wrap them in some bath towels/tea towels, they'll survive fine. Art, anything with glass could be a concern, again, pray.

On the plus side, generally glass will just crack, and the artwork underneath will be unscathed, and you just get it reglassed. Cost you some money, but that's why you work.

Don't sweat it too much. A lot of the tales of woe you'll hear are from drama queens. Your average TV these days is far more fragile than your toys, and I've moved a few of them in my time with no worries.

He said boxes are present for the statues/figs.

I've moved far too many times in the past both locally and far away.
What I've found that works best for me is boxing up the 1/6 figures in their original packaging or if you don't have them, then wrap the 1/6 figures with clean towels or T-shirts and place them in groups in a few smaller boxes about the same size as a standard 1/6 figure shipping box.
For loose accessories you either can't or don't want to place into their original packaging, buy zipper sandwich bags, mark what the accessories are from on the bag, place the accessories within and close the bag without air so the accessories aren't rattling around the bag loose. Place the bags into their own box and wrap with clean towels, clothes, or packing materiel so they can't move about and become damaged.
Then place these smaller boxes into large wardrobe boxes and move the wardrobe boxes properly strapped to a hand truck one at a time into the moving vehicle and then into your new home.
Wardrobe boxes keep them all together and they're secure to the hand truck when moving, the wardrobe boxes also have handles to make them easier to move by hand if you need to. Just don't make the wardrobe boxes too heavy.
For the few statues that I've owned, I always place them carefully into their original packaging and then into somewhat smaller moving boxes than a wardrobe box (about half the size of a wardrobe box) don't make these boxes heavy, you'd be more likely to drop them and damage something, and be careful when moving it. Use a hand truck if you want to make sure they won't accidentally drop, and don't stack heavier boxes on top.
Make sure to keep a record of what's in the boxes to make them easier to unpack.

Thank you all for the tips. I retrieved all the rest my boxes from the storage unit and will continue to box them up tonight. Tomorrow evening/Saturday will be the bulk of the move. There are certain statues I don't want to disassemble and put away but I just cant risk them in transit. Patience and diligence is the way to go. The art I am going to wrap in blankets/towels. This weekend is gonna be tiring lol

I made this because you never know what tis are overlooking and Insurance for transport was one I didn't consider. Thank you Stingray!

I just moved, even with the original boxes, I chose to wrap my figures with t-shirts and bubble wrap in larger boxes. Some of my customs are too fragile to remove their gear and place back in the boxes, so I think it worked out in the end. I transported the original boxes empty. The extra gear I just purchased a tackle box just for that.

I moved my entire collection successfully!!! Its all in storage packed neatly away until I build my display. Bubble wrap, pack wrap and tape are your best friends for sure. All the framed art was bubble wrapped then pack wrapped (framed). The figures I didn't even put back in their boxes (only own 6) I towel wrapped them and separated their accessories. They are at my new place waiting to be set up. I suggest for anyone with a large collection to start well in advanced so you aren't fatigued moving the 30th 50 pound box up/down stairs. Also have a staging area to pack up statues is a good idea. Don't realize how big your collection is until its ALL boxed up in front of you.

Back