Tinman’s First Custom…6th Scale Jawa

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinman2000

Super Freak
Reaction score
Well, after the mediocre reviews of the SS Jawas and the inspiration provided by Solo_bones and his creations, I decided to leap into my first 6th scale custom and build a set of Jawas myself. Communication with Solo_bones over the past few weeks provided insight and direction for gathering some of the project components but I’m pretty sure I’ve only scratched the surface on gathering what I need. I started by ordering several Japanese Obitsu doll bodies because of their articulation, only to realize they wouldn’t work because of their super-slender features. In the end I settled on a wrestling action figure off the shelf at Walmart, choosing “Bam Bam Bigelow” because of his bulk, with the “Elite Collection” figure providing some of the articulation I was looking for.

IMG_8436.JPG

Bam Bam’s arms stuck way out and couldn’t come anywhere close to his body, so both will be lengthened, with the upper arms and arm-pit area trimmed to provide the ability to bring his arms closer to the body and bend better at the elbow. As of now, the left arm has to catch up to the right but it was a pretty simple process; the gaps will eventually be filled with Apoxie Sculpt.

IMG_8441.JPG
IMG_8443.JPG

Here’s Bam Bam trying on the Jawa robe and hood purchased through myc; I’m really liking the ball-joint, which will provide articulation for the head…whenever I figure that part out.

IMG_8446.JPG

More to follow...

Here’s Bam Bam trying on the Jawa robe and hood purchased through myc; I’m really liking the ball-joint, which will provide articulation for the head…whenever I figure that part out.

View attachment 286962
:lol

That is epic man. Although I'm sure veteran customizers plan and plot, its great to see you just pick up a great robe and say, "**** it, I'm all in". I've wanted to do stuff similar in the past and I usually defeat myself before I get off the ground, congrats on taking the plunge, can't wait to see this unfold.

:lol

That is epic man. Although I'm sure veteran customizers plan and plot, its great to see you just pick up a great robe and say, "**** it, I'm all in". I've wanted to do stuff similar in the past and I usually defeat myself before I get off the ground, congrats on taking the plunge, can't wait to see this unfold.

Thanks guys, I'm hoping I can stay focused and complete several Jawas over time; you need at least two and I'd also like to do a Jawa Jedi. I'm a model scratchbuilder from way back and that's usually the way I work...off the cuff and figuring things out as I go. I think they'll make great first custom projects cause it's mostly about the the accessories...mostly.

Good looking robe! 6-7" robe?? Looking forward to see what you come up with. Different minds can always find new paths. I always keep an open mind for better ideas.

Good looking robe! 6-7" robe?? Looking forward to see what you come up with. Different minds can always find new paths. I always keep an open mind for better ideas.

The robe looks to be 7.5 inches...the Jawa should stand at about 8.5 to the tip of the hood. I ordered the Dragon Lee-Enfield and was hoping it would have came today but no luck. I'm still looking for buckles...lighting...etc.

Thanks Hewer! Even though it's been a while since I updated the thread I'm still working on the project, mostly researching and purchasing the major components. Since my last post I was able to locate yellow LED lighting for the eyes and the Dragon 6th scale Lee-Enfield rifle finally arrived...talking about putting the project into scale; even when cut down the blaster is looking huge! I also had to change the length of Bam Bam's arms since my last post...they weren't quite working out at the modified length shown above, so I had to make them a bit longer.

Bam Bam with arm extensions:

IMG_8462s (2).JPG

The Dragon Lee-Enfield rifle so far:

IMG_8449s.JPG
IMG_8462s (1).JPG

Ahhhh, I think I saw a pre-built Dragon Lee-Enfield available for purchase, that must have been the one you used to add the lighting. The model is pretty nice although the trigger guard is way too thick.

My plastic Lee enfields are from the Dragon figure. It's black plastic under the paint.

Wish I had more time to work on this guy but things are slowly coming together. For the most part the blaster is ready to go but seems a bit big; I'm hoping when I finalize the hands it'll look in scale...the holster is gonna have to be pretty big. I also found the plunger-side of a fishing bobber was the perfect diameter to hold Bam Bam's neck piece and will fit perfectly over the ball joint shown above. After I mount the structure that'll hold the LED eyes I'll sculpt a basic Jawa head over the bobber and wrap it with gaffer tape or something similar; right now it's looking a little silly. Lastly, I finally have some tiny buckles on order but think I'll collect a few more pieces of leather before attempting the leather work.

IMG_8468.JPG

IMG_8471.JPG

IMG_8472.JPG

Nice work! I don't think the blaster is too out of scale. Looks pretty close. I look forw d to seeing your hand choice and your solution for the head and eyes.

W

Thanks SB! I'm not sure how I want to tackle the hands...purchase some 6th scale hands and cut them down or build them from scratch, I'll most likely try both methods. I already know what I want to do for the eyes, mostly to tone down the LEDs so they're not too bright.

One of the ways I tackled making the blasyer look smaller was to use 1:6 hands. Depending on which Jawa you are making their hands were large when they were little people.

Guys, I'm still having difficulty finding a body to use for these Jawas; the wrestler figure (Bam Bam) just doesn't provide the articulation needed to hold the blaster with two hands...at least to hold it in a natural pose. I recently purchased a nice 12" body I thought I'd cut down to fit under the robe but in the end I compromised the integrity of the figure and it's like fitting 10 lbs. of crap into a 2 lb. bag. Can anyone provide thoughts or suggestions on a figure I could use; I've been looking at the Halo action figures but they don't seem like they'd fill out the shoulders or would be articulated enough?

Back