Statue Making The Change to PRIME ONE Studios Statues

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bgnyc007

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Collectors,

I do not know if there is already a thread for this topic but here goes. PRIME ONE studios is going to flood the market with its AWESOME offerings and wonderful licenses. With this in mind, many have decided to pick up some or even sell off many of their existing Premium Fomats to move to P1. Luckily I jumped in at the right time and have already started to shed much of my 1/6 collection as some would call it "Natural Evolution" moving from figures to mostly statues. I currently have a handful of Sideshow statues, I am in for P1 and many of its offerings(of course not all of them). My concern is not only the financial side of it, but space. Many of the Batman statues are 1/3 the closest thing to 1/3 I currently have is a LOBO statue LOL. I cant wait to finally get one of the 1/3 P1 statues to get a gauge of the sheer size and to see in hand the quality to inspire more dedication. I guess I wanted to get a feel for what some of you guys think on the subject matter. My thing is I know that you CANNOT DO THIS WITHOUT A PLAN, financial, space and at some point an end game(WHEN TO STOP, Unless your well off and a completist). I myself created a list of current preorders, maybes and upcoming preorders. I pretty much have an Idea to dedicate a wall to some of these statues when they come out maybe a few besta cabinets 2 per cabinet or something like that.

Have at it guys!

Yes ... I hear ya.. I am a 1/6 collector and adding statues to my collection ..I have the Hulk Maquette and the awesome Prime One DOTM Optimus! Prime One has made and going to make fantastic statues I am totally on board . Like to said you have to have an end game .
6854b1ab739bfc825bcba4805bf45c50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...let me add, when comes to buying expensive statues Sideshow's flex pay is great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like I'm in the same boat as far as where the collection goes from here. I have a healthy collection of 1/6 Bowen and Premium Formats and then here comes a company that is going to do 1/3 scale statues. So far every Prime 1 license looks phenomenal from prototype to production. The only in-hand pics I have seen have been there Transformers line, but they look great. As for 1/3 scale, the only thing I have that large is the recent Sentinel Maquette. It's 30 inches tall and the box for it looks like you have just purchased a washing machine. A few prime 1 purchases and you fill a closet just with their storage boxes, easy. Between, the large display space, storage space, and price any Prime 1 purchase for me has to be an icon for what my collection is. It has to be a great design that is well executed and it has to be a main character in the costume that I want the most (almost perfection). When the premium formats were $360/each, I could take a chance on statues that I just liked. I ended up accumulating too much and space became a strain. After unloading statues that weren't important to me, I made a plan to keep my hobby reasonable. I can keep the bowen x-men statues since they're perfect. Anything 1/4 or larger must be the best version of an iconic character for X-Men comic 1/4 and DC movie 1/4. With the current arkham line Prime 1 is doing, I think four characters fit the "iconic" list for me as possibilities. Batman and Joker will be passed over in favor of movie based PFs. Harley is great but I'm not positive that it's my most wanted costume. That could be the movie version a year from now. Catwoman is the final statue I would be interested in possibly owning. If this were a few years back when I didn't have rules and statues weren't as expensive, Batman, Harley, Joker, and Catwoman would have been easy preorders. I would have probably liked one or two and kept the others because they match up. Now, I'm selective. I want a small collection of meaningful statues that isn't cluttered. It has to be perfect when you're held down by things like space and money. I hope this helps in making responsible decisions about your collecting.

Have fun Good Sir!

I'm also pretty new to statues. I've collected and sold 1/6 figures since The Dark Knight. The good old days when you could decide if you wanted a HT, Medicom RAH, or Takara Batman Begins. Those days are long gone and I've started picking up smaller scale figures because there are more choices. Now that I have the space, and a little more funds, statues are becoming a passion.

Looking forward to growing my collection with the rest of you.

The 90s turtles are a must have and instant buy. I'd be done with turtles and one huge part of my childhood favorites collection coming close to end game.

And here is the challenge. Trying to stick to one scale when so many companies produce quality products.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

You'll be surprised how big 1/3 actually is.
And many companies that do 1/3 seem to create a massive base as well which makes them insanely large.
(IMO of course) 1/6 figures can't compare to quality statues in that size.

But you'll run out of room FAST ....so if you're someone that can't resist new pre-orders and collects various properties, you're house better be huge.

And don't underestimate the size of the box these things come in. You'll need serious space just to store the boxes.
...you know how big a 1/4 Sidehow PF box is? ....well double that size! Seriously....

And they are generally way over priced I think. Production cost and effort on paint work is not double 1/4 scale but retail price is. (okay I'm guessing there but I don't see how it could possibly be double....)

But do they look spectactular? Yup :clap :yess: :hi5:

Prime 1 has 1/4 licenses also. That's what I'm planning on getting into, but there is plenty of space in the cave for a few 1/3 Batmen.

Right SAB! Careful planning is critical do not underestimate. I have measured the 1/3 size and have planned space. Thankfully my house has an attic and under staircase storage which all of my boxes go, there are no boxes lying around the house at all, the wife makes sure of that. I can't stand seeing pics of people's boxes all over the place or a small hoard of statues crammed into one small room it's a serious eyesore. That's why a concentrated collection and enough space makes all the difference to me. That's also why ONLY a few pieces are on my list in 1/3. My motto to myself is if I can't display it I do not need it or shouldn't have it. I don't like knowing that $$$ is sitting around in a box in storage.

And yes!!fellow collectors I insure my collection. With thousands worth of collectibles I will not take a chance. I encourage people to insure. Last week it was heart breaking to see a fellow collector loose a 2 beautiful pieces due to poor furniture installation that caused a statue to fall and shattering the guy had no insurance. I can only imagine and we will probably see a few broken 1/3 in the coming months. Insure your collection people. From Facebook on Friday:
9878fba6035edb66b25201643dbccf8e.jpg

Ouch!
Check out the 1/2 size Legendary Scale Wolverine .... $2000 + $250+ shipping.
Some of the statues had a bit of a lean apparently .... a couple of people have returned home and found it smashed all over the floor after it eventually toppled. :gah:

I'm actually really surprised at this. With many of us getting up in age, I would've thought the wife (or sig other) would be a big force in curbing collections to be smaller, yet somehow these companies keep churning out stuff that's bigger and bigger. And while they do look super cool, I just don't know why they're getting so damn big! I know the credo is bigger is better for many (aka that's what she said), but when a statue is getting at the cost of rent for a NY apartment, I have to stop and question that a bit. Me personally, I'm amazed when a company can cram a lot of detail into something that fits on a desk! Anybody can detail something as big as the Hulk. Try doing that on a grain of rice! I'm not telling you guys what to do. Obviously you guys have mucho cash and unlimited space (can I have your job?) so buy whatever. Enjoy. I'm just flippin surprised is all.

The wife is definitely a force in all the decision making. Probably more so the force that makes me keep my collection in the man cave room, and not display all over the house(I would jump at that opportunity). She's more the force that keeps my collection at a limit and not cluttered. Plus we don't have kids or pets big enough to knock stuff over lol.

90's Turtles :clap

Ive got one 1:3 and size wise its not really taller than some 1:4 Ive got. I think alot depends on pose, height of the base, height of the character- So many 1:4 these days have huge bases and characters with arms raised holding weapons...

My collection is so cluttered atm, when I get more space I'll clean it up... We'll see lol

Don't have the space for 1/3 scale statues... if I lived in a Museum I might be more tempted :)

It will be interesting to see what they offer in 1/4 scale.... But even then I'm starting to run out of space and trying to resale statues for what you paid is getting more difficult as the market is getting flooded with lots of new players in the market, especially the tier 1 characters... Why buy a used one when several other companies are making the same character also...

Due to space I'm limiting how many 1/4 scales I buy.... I've been mostly looking at 1/6 scale statues lately, take up less space and cost a lot less..

And yes!!fellow collectors I insure my collection. With thousands worth of collectibles I will not take a chance. I encourage people to insure. Last week it was heart breaking to see a fellow collector loose a 2 beautiful pieces due to poor furniture installation that caused a statue to fall and shattering the guy had no insurance. I can only imagine and we will probably see a few broken 1/3 in the coming months. Insure your collection people. From Facebook on Friday:
9878fba6035edb66b25201643dbccf8e.jpg

Better yet,

Be careful.

Back