Damaged rubber hot toys figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motuxmen

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've had this discussion a few times. And most of the time it's based on fear or "I know a guy" that has bad arms or suit ect. I do not think the rubber hot toys uses is bad or easily damaged. I have a lot of them that are fine. Somewhere between 20-40 figures with rubber parts and not a single one has rubber fatigue or fade or deterioration. So I'm curious how many others have good or bad.

What I see is one or two people post about a photo they saw or heard about or maybe one of them has had a figure and suddenly 30 people (slight exaggeration) are in agreement with how bad the rubber is, even though they don't have one with issues. I was told I am in the minority in having figures that hadn't "melted". So I am curious. Am i? I'm not asking for second hand accounts. Just your own personal experience.

I have-

Dutch with 2 extra bodies on customs
la thor with 5 extra bodies
Ivan drago
Rambo
Rocky
Leonidas
Ed209
Gamora
Hulk
Dx02 (two)
Dx12
Dx09
Mr t
Batman begins
Cloud
Navy seal
Machine gunner

Edit-forgot about begins batman and Chris redfield and wesker

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. All fine

Last edited:
I prefer the rubber and hidden joints. All of mine are still in great condition. The only one I'm slightly concerned about is Gamora.

When I have/had rubber figures, I usually didn't pose them very much or in extreme poses, but:

-Dutch (fine)
-MMS Dark Knight original suit (texture got a worn look after awhile)
-Toy Fair Begins Batman (cheap quality, but no damage)
-DX02 (melted abs)
-Hellboy 2 (fine, but I was super careful with him)
-Chris Redfield (fine)
-DX12 (fine, though I haven't looked closely in probably a year and a half)

I'm pretty sure Hulk is PVC like they use on most muscle bodies nowadays, and not rubber.

Kept mine in Heroic pose, minimized Dynamic pose.

-DX02(fine)
-Toy Fair Batman Begins (paint rubbed off rubber body)
-DX12(fine)
-BSAA Chris Redfield (fine)
-Thor Light Armor (fine)
-DX09 Batman (fine)
-OC Batman Begins (fine)

Problems

- The Comedian (melted, goopy back)
- DX 02 (one had oil drops under the bicep armor, another started getting stress marks at the knee, which I never posed)
- Toy Fairs Batman (both figures had the paint peel off, one had a deformed mold at the abs, never handled either of them before I sold them)

No problems

- OC Batman, fine, still owned 7 years later
- DX 09, multiples. Zero problems
- DX 12/Armory, nothing (not sure if those panels are rubber to be honest)

My Terminator bodies (MMS 117, MMS 136, etc.) all ended up smelling like pungent marijuana, no damage though.

Last edited:
power loader. cables rotted apart.
Chris. Elbows broke inside the arms, then tore out of the rubber.
Dutch : Fine, but swapped to a regular body and traded the original body to a friend.

As stated in the Thor thread:

Watchmen Comedian figure (x2 - mine and my boyfriend's both)
Batman figure (My boyfriend's, which I saw)

I used to have the Comedian and the rubber on the back got really oily. Big chap had some paint fading, nothing major though.

Leonidas - still in pristine condition
Dutch - ditto

I really dig those old rubber bodies they used to use, I wish more new figs would come with these since I really don't like to see elbow joints on my figs.

Leonidas - still in pristine condition
Dutch - ditto

I really dig those old rubber bodies they used to use, I wish more new figs would come with these since I really don't like to see elbow joints on my figs.

As do I. But people, a fair amount anyway, shy away from them becuase they keep hearing how bad they are and how they all fall apart. And I am hoping to demonstrate that's not the case.

The person that posted about his Chris redfield breaking inside the rubber. That sucks. But that's not a rubber problem I don't think.

The question I'm more curious about is how many people here actually put their figures with rubber joints in dynamic poses without any significant wear or damage?

When rubber tears on a defective product, we know that it's the problem with the entire production than necessarily to do with rubber themselves. But, what I'm curious is if these figures that have rubber joints that are seemingly fine have been constantly posed at all. Yeah it's fine if you keep your figures in museum poses or in the box, I can see how that would preserve the material, but that's not what I'm worried about. I like posing my figures a lot. No I don't go out of my way to throw them into the sandbox (duh), but when I want a figure that's supposed to move, I want to be able to move it without fear of damaging it.

This isn't a knock against people's collections, rather I just like being able to constantly pose and re-pose my figures without worry, so getting a bit of idea from people who actually pose their figures that have rubber joints would be pretty nice.

^ yeah, exactly. There's no value at all in saying how my Leonidas figure held up perfectly for all the time I owned it, because I never dared pose it dynamically.

Hot Toys poor history with rubber is pretty well documented

Here are all the pics I've found on this forum

Sheva
162959_10150103188560676_765915675_7608895_8236250_n.jpg

Sarah Connor
DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

Ed-209
e209.jpg

And Ironman (which is not a rubber issue but more a PVC/paint fade mystery issue)
4450781986_f434b3607c_b.jpg

And here some pics of Abe SApian which V-Raptor fixed
Latest Articles - Freaky News

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/general-collectibles-action-figures/108317-official-ht-rubber-issues-list-4-9-12-update.html

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/general-collectibles-action-figures/82683-hot-toys-rubber-deterioration.html

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/aliens-and-robots-action-figures/146758-hot-toys-ed-209-mms204-rubber-deterioration-discussion-pics.html?highlight=rubber+thread+Toys

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/dc-comics-action-figures/99869-hot-toys-batman-begins-toyfair-exclusive-damage-report.html

Dutch
Chris Redfield
Big Chap
Mars Attacks
Aliens Warrior crumbling to pieces
The Comedian liquifying
The DX02 Batman oil leaking fiasco
ED209 dome
The new ED209 dome
Robocop's elbows/knee joints

You say it's well documented...but I don't find that to be the case. I see a lot of what just happened...one person reposting someone else's issues as a justification for the argument. Not their personal experience.

And I'm not looking just for the bad but the people that don't have any issues. Like with most collector forums it's often only a small percentage of people that make up the majority of the information given. I'm trying to get and show a more complete picture.

As for the question about dynamic posing most of my figures are on some sort of pose. But I do follow any bend instructions.

I think this could become the next great debate. Should we institute a poll? Who prefers Rubber vs Exposed Joints? (Wow, that could be misconstrued immensely).

I've actually been put off from buying some of the figures that have been rubber ( Chris Redfield, Dutch, Robocop 2.0, etc.). I mostly here bad stuff, but I like the idea of people who have had no issues coming forward and maybe putting my mind to rest.

I think this could become the next great debate. Should we institute a poll? Who prefers Rubber vs Exposed Joints? (Wow, that could be misconstrued immensely).

I was going to do a poll but wasn't sure how to do it. But I don't think a preference is what people want to know, or at least not what I'm asking, I think it should be more about do you have damaged figures yourself.

Like-

Do u own rubber figures

Are they damaged

If so

Is it minor

Or significant

If not would u recommend them

Somethibg along those lines. But worded better. Sorry, I'm doing ten things right now.

Back