Optibotimus Reviews: Hot Toys Iron Man 3: "The Mechanic" Tony Stark

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optibotimus

Super Freak
Reaction score
Probably already seen many times...here is my look at this figure. Also, in the video description, me and Sideshow are giving one of these fellas away. Check that out after watching the video and if you like it, enter the contest and you can win one for free :)

Great review. Watched it yesterday. Entered the contest too a while ago. I'm still on the fence about this figure personally though. Who knows I might be converted if I win hint hint lol . Cheers buddy

I live in the UAE . Shipping to me for an average sized 1/6 is approx $40 to $50. Coincidentally the same as shipping from the US.

I caved again lol. Got him for $150 at Amiami so couldn't resist

Definitely not a bad price for him. I think this is a figure you'll either really love or be really indifferent about. For me, as i said in the review, it's all about the main message that IM3 was about...that Tony was on a quest to find himself. That he started to recognize that he isn't just the suit. That he is more. That everything that made the Iron Man character that powerful, all came from within Tony himself...motivating him to protect his loved ones. I really like the figure

Interesting perspective . I heard you mention the same in the video too. But I never correlated the figure to that thought process personally . But you are right . Will make me appreciate it even more now. Will quote you when I show it off :)

Interesting perspective . I heard you mention the same in the video too. But I never correlated the figure to that thought process personally . But you are right . Will make me appreciate it even more now. Will quote you when I show it off :)

:) I'm honored :)

I think the movie was really good while a lot of people really disliked it. It was for me, the journey of a man struggling with the safety of the world and more importantly, the thing he loved most, Pepper...on his shoulders. After the events in The Avengers, it ramped up his compulsive nature to keep people safe. And it was that worry that drove him to think of every possible scenario that could threaten the planet, and ultimately the woman he loves, that drove him to constantly keep working on different suits. But it was that journey that he discovered, he didn't need the suits. Didn't need that "crutch" to keep the things he cared about safe. He could do it on his own. Which is why he blew up the suits at the end and why he had the arc reactor removed from him. He was more than just "Iron Man". At least that's how i look at it. :)

:) I'm honored :)

I think the movie was really good while a lot of people really disliked it. It was for me, the journey of a man struggling with the safety of the world and more importantly, the thing he loved most, Pepper...on his shoulders. After the events in The Avengers, it ramped up his compulsive nature to keep people safe. And it was that worry that drove him to think of every possible scenario that could threaten the planet, and ultimately the woman he loves, that drove him to constantly keep working on different suits. But it was that journey that he discovered, he didn't need the suits. Didn't need that "crutch" to keep the things he cared about safe. He could do it on his own. Which is why he blew up the suits at the end and why he had the arc reactor removed from him. He was more than just "Iron Man". At least that's how i look at it. :)

Exactly!!!
Why do the fanboys just cry about Mandarin? It was a *great* movie, with Tony's journey coming full circle. And of course, Pepper gets the shrapnel from his heart as a memento!

IM3 is probably my favorite of the three, a lot deeper character and storytelling wise than I've come to expect from hero flicks. And what they did with the Mandarin was a great turn on a very worn out trope.

And I hope this guy stays available for a bit, I'd like to get him someday but will have to wait after unexpected War Machine and Midas purchases :lol Tony Stark Mark 42 test version and the Mechanic would make nice bookends to a big ol Iron Legion display!

As far as mandarin. This article I read made sooooo much sense and made me like the movie even more and look at the mandarin totally differently. Well worth the read: https://ronriii.tumblr.com/post/50492140064/aldrich-killian-is-the-mandarin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a good read.

From the first viewing, I did get the impression that Killian was indeed the true "Mandarin". The only part I don't agree with that article was that Killian never targeted Tony. His kidnapping in the first IM film was by the Ten Rings. Vanko only made it to Monaco to attack Stark through the help of the Ten Rings as well. Killian had always been scheming the ruin of Tony Stark, presumably to discredit Stark Industries (through the sale of arms to terrorists) and to prove the weakness of Stark (through Vanko) to finally take over as the undisputed leader in the R&D and manufacture of arms.

That said, I thought IM3 was a great/awesome Tony Stark film. It built the character well. I did not however feel like it made for a better than average Iron Man film because it did not do the Iron Man suits justice (they were all duds in that film).

That said, this figure is a great piece to have for Tony Stark fans since it illustrates his ingenuity and personal abilities excellently. I've seen it in the flesh and it really looks enticing to have. But I had to choose one (due to budget) so I opted for the Mech Test instead due to the added goodies. :) Down the line, I'd probably try to score one of these myself if one in a good price pops up.

It's a good read.

From the first viewing, I did get the impression that Killian was indeed the true "Mandarin". The only part I don't agree with that article was that Killian never targeted Tony. His kidnapping in the first IM film was by the Ten Rings. Vanko only made it to Monaco to attack Stark through the help of the Ten Rings as well. Killian had always been scheming the ruin of Tony Stark, presumably to discredit Stark Industries (through the sale of arms to terrorists) and to prove the weakness of Stark (through Vanko) to finally take over as the undisputed leader in the R&D and manufacture of arms.

That said, I thought IM3 was a great/awesome Tony Stark film. It built the character well. I did not however feel like it made for a better than average Iron Man film because it did not do the Iron Man suits justice (they were all duds in that film).

That said, this figure is a great piece to have for Tony Stark fans since it illustrates his ingenuity and personal abilities excellently. I've seen it in the flesh and it really looks enticing to have. But I had to choose one (due to budget) so I opted for the Mech Test instead due to the added goodies. :) Down the line, I'd probably try to score one of these myself if one in a good price pops up.

except now killian isnt actually the Mandarin...

Marvel kind of redeemed them selves by reversing the travesty in IM3

Back