primer for headsculpt for more shine effect?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any particular reason you ask for a primer? Because for a gloss effect generally it's the varnish/clearcoat at the end that makes the difference.
I'd recommend Liquitex Gloss Varnish. Brush it on with a wide flat brush in three or four thin coats letting it dry for a couple hours between each one.
I used it for the resin cowl on a Catwoman figure and the black painted resin now looks exactly the same as the wet-look shiny PVC it's right next to.

cheers bro, but i just need a suttle shine not to much pvc but just a nice sheen to the head and masks.... i was looking to primer the head and masks to get the sideshow collectibles sort of feel to the heads ...like the horror line they did like jason freddy etc

cheers bro, but i just need a suttle shine not to much pvc but just a nice sheen to the head and masks.... i was looking to primer the head and masks to get the sideshow collectibles sort of feel to the heads ...like the horror line they did like jason freddy etc

primer is a basecoat that you paint over, its not going to give you a subtle shine

You're probably thinking of coating and not primer.

Primer is usually a grey or white base that you spray over the part to make paint adhere better. Then you paint, then you seal it with a coating to make the paint stay and not peel or rub off. Coating have many variants, such as a matte or dull coat, or a satin (a little glossy, but not too much) effect, and a very glossy coating.

There are many brands out there. For matte, I usually use Testor's Dullcote. For satin, Krylon is the best for resin and statues, but it reacts to PVC so you can't use it on PVC heads. For high gloss, Krylon or Testor's is good.

Another method is to use Future Floorwax, thin it with water to make it less glossy or use it full and airbrush it over your part. The more coats you airbrush it, the more glossier it gets.

For a custom level of shininess you can mix Vallejo Model Air Gloss varnish with their satin varnish in a jar in whatever ratio suits you.

Yeah, you are misunderstanding the word 'primer', my friend.
What you want is called a 'finish'/'sealer', which is usually a clear varnish Matt, Satin or Gloss acrylic paint.
Matt-varnish has no shine, satin-varnish has a slight shine, and gloss-varnish has lots of shine.
You can mix them together to get different effects or you can also dilute them with water.

I recommend the 'Vallejo Model Air' range for your Matt, Satin and Gloss varnishes. Dont worry, they can be used with a paintbrush too.
Just dont leave it too long before you clean your brush.
You could also use 'Mod Podge', and dilute it with water for less shine. I recommend the 'Yellow Label Matt Mod Podge'(It actually has a shine to it, despite being a clear 'Matt' varnish)

NOTE: Do not shake the bottles, because you will get bubbles and it will ruin your work.
Just roll the bottle for a few seconds in the palm of your hands or on a flat surface.
...in fact, now that I think about it, I doubt that you even NEED to shake or roll varnish paints.:slap

Ebay links:

Sealers -
(058 - Gloss Varnish)
(059 - Matt Varnish)
(060 - Satin Varnish)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350690640090?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Alternative Sealer -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/31047475...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I have found with using a matte varnish/ if you get too close to the sculpt when sealing the head, it can end up being quite shiny but at certain angles not appear to be, is that what you mean by subtle shine?

I recommend the 'Vallejo Model Air' range for your Matt, Satin and Gloss varnishes.
Ah good, someone else who uses Vallejo Air.
I wanted to ask: for some reason the so-called Matt actually looks shinier than the Satin does when I use it. Am I doing something wrong or did I just get a dud bottle?

I have found with using a matte varnish/ if you get too close to the sculpt when sealing the head, it can end up being quite shiny but at certain angles not appear to be, is that what you mean by subtle shine?

Yeah, I find matt varnish has a subtle shine too until I dilute it.
Maybe matt varnish on its own is what will suit his needs. He can also experiment by mixing stuff around like I suggested in my other post.

Ah good, someone else who uses Vallejo Air.
I wanted to ask: for some reason the so-called Matt actually looks shinier than the Satin does when I use it. Am I doing something wrong or did I just get a dud bottle?

I dont own, and have never tried the Vallejo Model Air Satin varnish, my friend. I only have the Matt varnish at the moment.
Im guessing you have a dud bottle though, because that doesnt sound right.

Last edited:
Back