AMC's The Terror

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natrix

Super Freak
Reaction score
I will give this a shot.

AMC has put in development The Terror, a drama series adaptation of the 2007 bestselling novel by Dan Simmons, which is being executive produced by Scott Free TV, Television 360 and feature producer Alexandra Milchan. Written by hot feature writer David Kajganich, The Terror is set in 1847 when the crew of a Royal Naval expedition to find the Arctic’s treacherous Northwest Passage discovers instead a monstrous predator – a cunning and vicious Gothic horror that stalks the ships in a desperate game of survival, the consequences of which could endanger the region and its native people forever. Kajganich executive produces with Scott Free’s David Zucker and Ridley Scott, TV 360′s Scott Lambert and Meghan Lyvers, Milchan and Simmons. The project keeps AMC in the genre space where it has enjoyed a tremendous success with The Walking Dead.

Will this be a series or a mini series? I can't imagine them stretching this story line out too far without it getting boring.

I read that book...extremely long and detailed novel...for me it was a fantastic fantasy about one of the epic true naval exploration disasters of all time...It was a downer of a book...a truly sad and disturbing story...has shades of "Wendigo" in it...If you're into great detail and history...this might be a good book for you...another Simmons like author with similar writing style in regards to detail in History was Gary Jennings ...I will watch this...thanks for the heads up

Last edited:
Yea, fantastic book - Drood was another great one by Simmons. The Terror is all based on true events, with actual names and all the historic facts available. The Terror is the name of the ship, the HMS Terror, which was one of the ships sent by the UK to find the Great Northwest Passage. They failed of course, and were frozen in. They weren't found for several years, and when they were, it was only the ship - none of the crew. Simmons creates a story around what facts are known and adds in some great fiction.

Hard to see this as a single movie though - it would make a much better mini-series.

Yea, fantastic book - Drood was another great one by Simmons. The Terror is all based on true events, with actual names and all the historic facts available. The Terror is the name of the ship, the HMS Terror, which was one of the ships sent by the UK to find the Great Northwest Passage. They failed of course, and were frozen in. They weren't found for several years, and when they were, it was only the ship - none of the crew. Simmons creates a story around what facts are known and adds in some great fiction.

Hard to see this as a single movie though - it would make a much better mini-series.

It has to be a mini-series...just has to be

Oh cool, I will be on the lookout for this. I read the book when it came out and really enjoyed it.

This is one of my favorite books by one of my favorite authors, so I'm in!
I wonder though how they will cope with the fact that there are hardly any female characters to speak of... and the relentless dread and cold will make for a depressing viewing experience.

Drood is another fantastic, yet unsettling, book.

So this is finally moving forward, I read that Tobias Menzies (of Rome fame) has been signed to star in this.
It's supposed to air in 2017.

So this is finally moving forward, I read that Tobias Menzies (of Rome fame) has been signed to star in this.
It's supposed to air in 2017.

Excellent news. Such a terrific novel with a truly great story.

Yeah, Simmons is a great writer. His Ilium and Olympos novels, as well as the whole Hyperion saga are brilliant.
Drop is another masterpiece, maybe his best book, IMHO.

Looks good. Loved the book. I've read Summer of Night/Winter Haunting and Song of Kali and enjoyed them all. Still have to check out Drood.

don't forget guys...this starts next week...set up my dvr already

Back