Golobulus's Collection - What's on my shelves

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golobulus

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I need to write a post in the introductions thread, cause I'm finally setup to share! I've been collecting for a few years but have not had anywhere long-term to display my collection. The front room in our house had the perfect 13' long and 9' tall wall for a built in display case and after months, it's finally just about done. I only have a few figures on display right now but will steadily be adding more.

I would consider myself a Star Wars freak, but I also love the 80's and transformers, GI Joe, Terminator, all that stuff.

I find that I gravitate more towards 1/4 scale which is definitely my favorite, but I have 1/6th as well because I like the display environments that are available with the figures. I'm not certain that I'll be able to continue collecting both lines, but for now, I've enjoyed both.

Thought I would post a few pictures of my display area under construction and then the first of my statues on display.

This first image shows the wall that I've cleared for my built in display case. I designed the dimensions using google sketchup to make sure that I had the 3 cases evenly proportioned and that I was happy with the "break front" center case. Peeling back the carpet and getting ready to remove the baseboard:

March%25202012%2520191.jpg

The bookcase must be 9 feet tall but plywood only comes in 8 foot tall sheets, so I need to add a base that would be the same height as the baseboard so that the bottom of the case would be the bottom shelf and sit above the floor:

March%25202012%2520194.jpg

Jumping forward a few weeks and at this point, I've built the 3 individual "cases" and have moved them into the house and placed them on the base. The case sides are 6" total thickness which I felt was necessary to give them some "weight." The cases were constructed using Kreg pocket screws. You can see the pocket holes on the fronts of the cases. The top, bottom, and back are also attached using pocket screws. The electrical outlet in the middle case was a real PITA to locate and cut properly... let me tell you!

March%25202012%2520208.jpg

In this image, I've added 1/2" poplar to make the face frames that cover the pocket screws. I have the stiles mounted. Not worried about the tops overhanging because they will be covered with crown molding to the ceiling.

March%25202012%2520209.jpg

It took me quite awhile to get to this next image. The shelves are all built (3 inches thick to make them rigid) and mounted on cleats that have been screwed into the sides. Technically, they can be adjusted if needed but I hope not to have to adjust them much. The center 6 shelves are for my main 1/4 scale displays, and the top and bottom are for 1/6 figures and miscellaneous stuff.

Spring%25202012%2520004.jpg

The last steps from this point actually dragged out the longest. I wired the case for LED strip lights (2 on the bottom of each shelf). I was going to take detailed pictures but just lost momentum and wanted to get it done! I added crown molding and baseboard. A glimpse of the "almost" final result is below:

2012%2520Fall%2520551.jpg

I will upload some detail pics of the actual figures I have on display a little later! Glad to finally have something to share on the site with you guys!

Last edited:
Re: Golobulus finally has a display!

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the feedback!

"How much total when all said and done" - I'll be honest, I haven't kept track as much as I would have liked to. I'm estimating somewhere around $1000 including the lighting.

Now some figures!

When I saw the ARH Medusa I knew that I had to order it! This statue just blows me away!! I'm so excited to finally have it on display. I'm showing her with the Sideshow Conan which I think matches up pretty well. I know that ARH just announced the Conan license so I'm looking forward to hear whether or not they use the Schwarzenegger likeness. I'm a major Schwarzenegger fan:

2012%2520Fall%2520535.jpg

2012%2520Fall%2520533.jpg

2012%2520Fall%2520537.jpg

2012%2520Fall%2520539.jpg

These are the 1st of the pieces I'm putting on display from my Star Wars collection:

2012%2520Fall%2520540.jpg

I'm really glad that Sideshow decided to do a PF of Han in Carbonite to go with Boba Fett.

2012%2520Fall%2520541.jpg

2012%2520Fall%2520542.jpg

I know that the Clone Troopers aren't as popular, but I REALLY like this PF! The sand weathering on the feet and shins, the battle rifle, the transitional helmet, and the base really make this one for me:

2012%2520Fall%2520543.jpg

I also finally have somewhere for my Raiders of the Lost Ark PF:

2012%2520Fall%2520544.jpg

I enjoyed catching Indy at IMAX last month. This movie stands the test of time for me.

2012%2520Fall%2520545.jpg

The Avatar AMP suit is the only Marquette I have that rivals Medusa in size. This thing is enormous! When I saw the Sideshow video about how they put this together with the original FX studio, I knew that I wanted it in my collection:

2012%2520Fall%2520546.jpg

2012%2520Fall%2520547.jpg

The details in the opening cockpit are truly amazing:

2012%2520Fall%2520548.jpg

The ammo belt is definitely a highlight on this one for me!

2012%2520Fall%2520549.jpg

I love those custom shelfs, great work!

Also, very impressive collection! Can't wait to see you put all those shelfs to use!

Thanks rnbuda and voorhees27! I have museum acrylic that I'm going to put on the front of the shelves to finish them off. The bottom two shelves are empty to keep the kids at bay! The temptation to "play" with these is far too great!

SixMillionDollarMan, the 1:18th scale planes were my first addiction! I love planes, airshows, Thunderbirds, Blue Angels, WWII, etc and the 1:18th scale planes were going strong a few years ago but have since died off. It's a shame because they are really beautiful. Two companies are producing about a plane a year... maybe I'll post some pics of the planes if anyone is into it.

Last edited:

SixMillionDollarMan, the 1:18th scale planes were my first addiction! I love planes, airshows, Thunderbirds, Blue Angels, WWII, etc and the 1:18th scale planes were going strong a few years ago but have since died off. It's a shame because they are really beautiful. Two companies are producing about a plane a year... maybe I'll post some pics of the planes if anyone is into it.

Yeah, that would be great if you could post pics of those planes. Would love to see them up close. :cool:

Neat, come build me shelves. You're only about 4 hours away. I'll be home all day Wednesday. I'll make sandwiches :hi5:

Ditch that ugly doll in front of the AMP suit, it detracts from its awesomeness.

Nice set up overall :wink1:

Really great setup and collection. :clap

Very neat, the effort to go that far.. you're the man! :)

Wow! Beautiful work on those shelves, and nice collection ;)

Nice collection and set up.

Amazing job on that display, what a beaut! :clap

Thanks jkno, all the way from Wallachia!

Appreciate the comments jay, Adjie01, darthstitch, Kal-El, and MarfMaster.

King Darkness, I should admit, the construction took about 2 Saturdays, but the priming, painting, and wiring took me the remaining 9 months :wink1:

I had to figure out the wiring as I went though. Sorry though, Wednesday I have to work :wink1:

Because I can tell you are a fan of the Marine Commander, here is a close up for you so you can enjoy the realistic sweat stains they added to his shirt!

2012%25252520Fall.jpg

Last edited:

What a great set up!
The Medusa looks at home with the display that you made
Thanks for sharing

Back