RIP Nintendo Power (1988-2012)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FQRizzo

Super Freak
Reaction score
0NP-First-Issue1.jpg

https://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/21/nintendo-powers-best-covers

I had a subscription to this mag for 1 year (the first year I guess in 1988). It was a lame mag. Sorry.

I'm going to miss those biased reviews. Nintendo Power will be the first to go. The Wii U will be buried somewhere near it in the graveyards though. Finally, First Party Nintendo will probably go down not much longer.

I had a subscription for a few years back when it first came out. My first issue was that one with Link on the cover. Not great when viewed with an adult's eyes, but it was great for a kid at the time. They had some very memorable covers and posters with maps of boards on the back.

I'm surprised it's lasted this long too. It was always a pretty lousy mag IMO and I didn't know anyone who bought even as a kid. Everyone I knew read EGM. Add another victim to the Internet list.

I'm surprised it's lasted this long too. It was always a pretty lousy mag IMO and I didn't know anyone who bought even as a kid. Everyone I knew read EGM. Add another victim to the Internet list.

There truly is no point to magazines with the internet around. It's amazing it's lasted this long.

There truly is no point to magazines with the internet around. It's amazing it's lasted this long.

That's a pretty dated way of thinking despite supposedly being a modern outlook on mediums. Yes things like code books or strategy guides are becoming more dated, but even those still sell well enough. The idea behind magazines and newspapers and such is the writing and information provided. Often times you'll read things in magazines you would have never cared to research or look into otherwise.

Written encyclopedias didn't kill off newspapers or research books and the internet won't kill off magazines. Radio is still alive and kicking. People still read books.

You guys are all speaking the truth. The mags were rad when I needed tips to beat games, or a place to find out about upcoming titles. The internet has made NP obsolete. I will forever treasure my vintage ones though :)

I still have my NP issue #1. I remember reading NP around the golden days, when SNES reigned king and the excitement for the arrival of the N64 was palpable. I had a subscription up to the early 2000's.

Another one bites the dust. That's too bad, but it's not like the modern NP was anything like the classic NP anyway, though admittedly I haven't actually flipped through one since 2006.

I had a few subs at one time. There were so many mags vying for attention in the 90's up to the early 2000's.

Demo discs were so rad back then.

Yeah, I remember those. I had Nintendo Power, Gamepro, and Electronic Gaming Monthly subscriptions in the early 1990s.

:lecture I'd always ask for subscriptions for my birthday. Back then it was the only way to catch a sneak peak at what was coming out. Now that the internet exists we don't really need these magazines for the cheats/guides. Most of the stuff Game Informer has in it is already spoiled by a couple days on the internet.

Back