How long does a polystone statue last?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gagaliya

Super Freak
Reaction score
Lets take a standard sideshow quality polystone statue, say captain america pf. Put it in a glass cabinet and left untouched & no sunlight.

How many years will this statue last before paints start to peel and the polystone start to crack & falling off?

10 years?

ps no sideshow qc jokes please! :)

Extract the oxygen from the case & it will last until the glass (being a slow moving liquid) eventually flows with gravity downward allowing air to enter at the top then you have about 10yrs, 6mnths, 3weeks, 2days, then ab out a minute and a half left until your statue is kaput

A polystone statue purchased in the year 2012 well begin to deteriorate and crack three seconds prior to Charlton Heston detonating the alpha omega doomsday bomb and destroying the earth in the year 3978.

The decay rate of polystone is a half-life of 17 1/2 years. It will never completely be gone, because of the laws of physics. It could be changed from mass to energy, though.

Lets take a standard sideshow quality polystone statue, say captain america pf. Put it in a glass cabinet and left untouched & no sunlight.

How many years will this statue last before paints start to peel and the polystone start to crack & falling off?

10 years?

10 years!!??? Hard to take this question seriously. I'm sure you don't need to worry about polystone cracking and crumbling in your lifetime... unless you drop the thing. On the other hand, "nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky."

10 years!!??? Hard to take this question seriously. I'm sure you don't need to worry about polystone cracking and crumbling in your lifetime... unless you drop the thing. On the other hand, "nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky."

It always amazing me about the amount of collector concerns regarding the deterioration of a collectible in their life time. The majority of these paranoid collectors well be long dead and buried why before their prized collectible well start it's decay process.

10 years?

It better be more than 10 years, or I just wasted alot of money and should quit this hobby ASAP!!!!

I expect them personally to be with me till I am an old man, or old enough, where I'm ready to pass it down to the kids or something.

It always amazing me about the amount of collector concerns regarding the deterioration of a collectible in their life time. The majority of these paranoid collectors well be long dead and buried why before their prized collectible well start it's decay process.

Not true. If they get, say paint chip Iron Man or Psylocke, a bad one, the decaying process will increase exponently. Those plastic eating fungi might be around. Maybe there's a polystone eater around. So if you get a really good one, say close to perfect, your grand kids might even CGC it and be worth a ton of $$$. People should be wearing gloves when handling these precious. :wink1:

Last edited:
hilarious fellas, keep it up.

And i am not talking about polystone turning into dust, but the paint etc..start to fall apart. I think it's a lot sooner than what some of you expect. If it's mixed media, then the cloth would turn yellow & break up to the touch also.

Who cares, just enjoy them while you have them. You'll probably be bored of them before anything happen's to them & there'll be much better Statues or whatever it maybe to buy, if there's still any interest in the character by then.

hilarious fellas, keep it up.

And i am not talking about polystone turning into dust, but the paint etc..start to fall apart. I think it's a lot sooner than what some of you expect. If it's mixed media, then the cloth would turn yellow & break up to the touch also.

How long are you planning on being around this Earth? :)
Check out your grand dads wardrobe. There will be clothes in there that are 70+/- years old that aren't made of any better material and have had a lot of wear.

The fake leather stuff Sideshow use may degrade quickly and only last sub 20yrs but most clothes on these statues will outlast you.

The polystone itself will also last 50+ years, especially if its in enclosed from dust.

The paint on the other hand is a toss up ....who knows really...

The key is, no sunlight, no dust, no water & no air, Air destroys everthing (not kidding) key is to not feed them after midnight

Back