GIMLI Customs...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to post pics now... Gimli's more important than sleep! The pics aren't the best, but DiD did a decent job on the face sculpt, parts of the costume are quite good, and the axes are very nicely made. I think he'd be a good base for building an ultimate 1:6 Gimli.

P1010076-2.jpg

P1010072.jpg

P1010074-1.jpg

P1010075-1.jpg

Edit: Now it's really late... I'll post comparison pics tomorrow, for anyone who's interested. Good night & Happy Halloween!

Last edited:
Does anyone have both Gimlis for a side by side comparison?

I picked up the ToyBiz Gimli for really cheap on eBay. So keep checking!

Been wanting the did weapons for awhile and passed up the chance for a set for 14.99 well I just scored a boxed Gimli for 15.00+shipping. Will add the weapons along with some Dml chain mail. Should look good when finished.

Been wanting the did weapons for awhile and passed up the chance for a set for 14.99 well I just scored a boxed Gimli for 15.00+shipping. Will add the weapons along with some Dml chain mail. Should look good when finished.

You got a DiD Gimli for $15? Nice! Where - how? I need one too.

Let me know about what we spoke about when you can.

I don't have the ToyBiz Gimli here for comparison right now, but here are some pics of the DiD Gimli with SSC's Frodo and Boromir. He looks to be just about the right height and proportion standing next to the other figures. Unfortunately, he probably won't be as easy to find as ToyBiz Gimli.

P1010081-1.jpg

P1010080-1.jpg

P1010079.jpg

I don't really like too much about the did one. And while the weapons are nice, that they're metal turns me off.

I don't have the ToyBiz Gimli here for comparison right now, but here are some pics of the DiD Gimli with SSC's Frodo and Boromir. He looks to be just about the right height and proportion standing next to the other figures. Unfortunately, he probably won't be as easy to find as ToyBiz Gimli.

P1010081-1.jpg

That seems to work well enough. Very nice.

Thanks, WG. The figure isn't without issues... for example, because of his beard his head has almost no mobility, which is unfortunate. The head sculpt isn't bad at all, though, and with a good repaint would look really good, imo.

The costume is also pretty decent, although his pauldrons and vambraces could probably use an upgrade. His gauntlets are made of knit fabric and look more like mittens, but they don't look all that bad. The weakest part of his costume is the chain mail hauberk, but as someone suggested already, there are other options, like using the ones from Dragon's "Timeline" figures.

I actually like his metal weapons. He comes with 5 different axes. They aren't too heavy and are nicely made with real wooden hafts, wrapped with a leather-like material.

With all this I think it would be an excellent figure to customize/accurize, and would look a lot less toyish than the ToyBiz figure, imho. When I first got him I was only planning to swap out the axes later on when SSC got around to making Gimli, but when I saw the figure itself I realized it was a lot nicer than I'd expected. Now I'm really glad I held on to it.

Last edited:

I got lucky. I did the normal ebay search and found squat. Then I googled did gimli and found a uk ebay one where the seller was from the US. Cost was 10+for shipping. I'll pm you-found it and of course it was the last box.

I got lucky. I did the normal ebay search and found squat. Then I googled did gimli and found a uk ebay one where the seller was from the US. Cost was 10+for shipping. I'll pm you-found it and of course it was the last box.

Cool, thanks!

Mudshark: I definitely see a lot of good things about the DiD Gimli. I think a combination of both figures would be ideal in lieu of no SS Gimli. Of course, finding one, especially now, won't be easy. But hey, it's not like we got no time.

My thoughts exactly! :lol Btw, I also got my DiD Gimli from an eBayer in the UK... wonder if it's the same person. He also had some Gandalf the Whites listed. It might be a good idea to get one of those now for the costume and staff, to convert one of SSC's Gandalfs into the White Wizard. :D

Already there. I have the clothes on the body and just need to attach the head-it will need a repaint though. Here are some pics that got me going-not my figure and sorry if they belong to someone here-just used for reference:

gandalf11.jpg
[/IMG]
gtw001.jpg
[/IMG]
gandalf9.jpg
[/IMG]
gandalf17.jpg
[/IMG]

Amazing work. I believe that there are two different ones shown.

You got to put that in the CUSTOMS THREAD here! That's excellent!

Is that the DiD Gandalf outfit? Is that a GG head? Or is it a total custom? I know the staff is from DiD...but the tunic looks different.

Does anyone know where I can get a DiD Gandalf the White? Any info would be much appreciated. :D

Edit: Never mind... I found him already.

Last edited:
Back