1/6 Toys Works - Spiritual Leader (Morpheus)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, you got me.
Please add me to the list.
Thank you.

This got real quiet. Any further news?

Hey guys. Sorry I went dark for awhile. I have been busting my tail trying to complete a few things for KJun's dual Lebowski figure set. I have not forgotten about the glasses so don't worry. And matter of fact, in doing things for KJun, I have developed a new technique for lenses that I will probably be applying to these. Should give you guys a GLASS smooth lens surface. I'm pretty excited about it.

Great news!!!

Looking forward to seeing the new glasses.

New lenses are ready today. I will be doing the new technique and paint job tonight, hopefully, so keep your eyes peeled. Like I said, pretty excited to see how they turn out. I'll be doing the mirror chrome finish and the straight gloss black finish over the new lenses.

Ok so here we are. Gloss black and a mirror chrome.

The black is great. It's smooth, shiny... looks just like scenes from the film. Leaving behind the debate of what exactly the glasses in the film ARE (i.e. black or chrome), I think the black looks great.

The mirror chrome I'm torn on. I'm simply not getting the results I explicitly WANT, even though I think they look great. Maybe I'm being overly critical on myself and you guys will tell me they look amazing....I dunno. So lemme know what you think. You'll notice the chrome is more silvery reflective than the darker "black mirror" chrome from previously. Again im not sure what is "best" but I felt like the more reflective chrome is what they look like in the film.
3424e53d3c07653ccedc1437619ad8f2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think I prefer the original mirror to this new mirror. Just too silver for me. I think the original mirror seemed more mirror-y to me.

That said, I think I'd go gloss black of the three choices.

I think your brief video of the two original glasses actually showed them the best. These seem like a **tch to photograph.

I think I prefer the original mirror to this new mirror. Just too silver for me. I think the original mirror seemed more mirror-y to me.

That said, I think I'd go gloss black of the three choices.

I think your brief video of the two original glasses actually showed them the best. These seem like a **tch to photograph.

First of all. yes, a ***** to photograph, haha.

Second, I'll take a new video of these so you guys can see them that way.

Third... I'm just not 100% happy with the chrome version. Whether the brighter chrome or the darker black mirror chrome, at the moment I think more refinement is needed. Honestly I didn't have the paint that I usually use for these sort of things so I tried to make work with what I had. I have the paint I need coming to me this weekend and another round of glasses will be done then. As you all hopefully no, I won't make these available til I'm happy with them. And although I think I'm riiiiiiiiiiiiiight there, I think I need more refinement on the non black version(s).

I would have to pick the gloss black if those were the two options.

The chrome one just looks too metallic. I think the problem is that they would have to be mirrored in order to replicate the 1:1 version and I'm certain that's impossible at this scale. It does reflect somewhat but not as sharply.

Smoothness of the surface is key and I'm unsure if it's possible at 1/6 scale.

Really appreciate the diligent work on this, DoggieDoc. Honestly, I think the gloss black are excellent and will do the job perfectly. But if you really think the paint you are waiting for will make the difference then bring it on.

Thanks for the updates and thanks for all the work put into these. I'm not sure if it's the close up pics, but they also look like a rounded surface and looking at pics from the movie people have shared, they looked relatively flat. I wasn't sure if a flatter lens shape would help with the mirroring or not, or if it's possible at the scale.

Thanks guys. All good points. Let me address a few things everyone has stated.

I would have to pick the gloss black if those were the two options.

The chrome one just looks too metallic. I think the problem is that they would have to be mirrored in order to replicate the 1:1 version and I'm certain that's impossible at this scale. It does reflect somewhat but not as sharply.

Smoothness of the surface is key and I'm unsure if it's possible at 1/6 scale.

Really appreciate the diligent work on this, DoggieDoc. Honestly, I think the gloss black are excellent and will do the job perfectly. But if you really think the paint you are waiting for will make the difference then bring it on.

It's not really the SCALE that's the issue, it's just the technique for mirroring. To get a TRUE mirror, an essentially CHROME surface would be needed. And at ANY scale, chrome that is not real chrome but instead any facsimile of it with paint, which is what I am using here, can only get you so close. So the scale isn't the issue... it's just that mirroring is really, REALLY hard :/.

Thanks for the updates and thanks for all the work put into these. I'm not sure if it's the close up pics, but they also look like a rounded surface and looking at pics from the movie people have shared, they looked relatively flat. I wasn't sure if a flatter lens shape would help with the mirroring or not, or if it's possible at the scale.

So every bit of research I have done indicates these glasses are indeed convex. Look at any number of images what are supposed to be the real glasses that you can actually buy, and they are all convex. I agree, in certain shots they can look flat... but I imagine that has more to do with the CGI manipulation of the shots that was used to display things in the glasses that weren't really there than anything else. Certainly, if they were flatter, things would be easier because then I could just use cutouts of mirrored material to make the lenses. I'd be happy to try that if people think a flattened lens wouldn't look out of place. Maybe at this scale it wouldn't be a huge issue.

You also give me an idea... I want to look into the process used for true mirroring (versus using a reflective metallic finish to achieve mirroring). As in, could I get the finish that is LITERALLY used for, say, a bathroom mirror, but in tiny scale. I assume you all don't mind waiting for me to experiment?

This is just a test so it's a bit crude.... but I hope you can see the near perfect reflection of my finger...

[Video]https://youtu.be/aaShCcFcOL8[/ video]
1e6bcb6a705eedc3e36e5396f85f8fd1.jpg
a6e84b494863fd148051c5cdbb92392a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back