Columbo movie?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may be a subjective distinction, but in my mind there are examples where replacing an character just shouldn't be done, because actor X really is the only way that character should exist. So, Chaplin's tramp, The Marx Brothers characters, Charles Foster Kane, J.J. Gittes, the Man with No Name, Travis Bickle. In more recent years, something like Walter White, Daniel Plainview, the Dude Lebowski, Tony Soprano, Mr. Bean (even though I don't care for the character). Sure, you could recast these characters, but it would seem totally wrong since the only reason those characters matter is because of who portrayed them. Columbo is borderline in that group for me, as is a guy like Indiana Jones, but I don't see them as so inextricably mixed with actor/character as those other examples in my mind. I guess because I see those as more commercial type franchises, where the commercial concerns will often trump others. Same with Star Trek, James Bond, or Batman. Many of those are franchises that are going to keep going with different actors indefinitely, but something like the Leone films or Breaking Bad wouldn't seem to have much of a point with reboots.

Ford IS the only Jones though dude, & always will be.

How many other modern swashbuckler / treasure hunting films exist out there - right now? A new IJ would be JUST like those - forgettable & pointless.

Besides - they can't exactly get Tom Sellick anymore now, can they. :lol

Like I said, he's borderline on that list for me, but I do see that franchise as being so commercial now that it will buffer the psychological blow if they actually do recast him. He's essentially a comic book character. Same with Han Solo or Luke Skywalker.

Ford IS the only Jones though dude, & always will be.

How many other modern swashbuckler / treasure hunting films exist out there - right now? A new IJ would be JUST like those - forgettable & pointless.

Besides - they can't exactly get Tom Sellick anymore now, can they. :lol

They said the same thing about Connery's Bond. And Nimoy's Spock. They've recast quite a few iconic characters made iconic by specific actors.

The Indy property is too valuable to let it end with Ford. There's absolutely no chance it won't be rebooted. Particularly since Disney just bought LucasArts. I agree it'll be tough to follow Ford ... but, not so tough that they won't try. Also, not as tough as it would've been in the 90s. It gets easier as you get farther removed.

Ruffalo is a fairly reasonable recast for Columbo.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
Actually yeah, those are all fair points.

Kara did mention some of those anyway, so I guess I do agree with you both to an extent.

How would you feel about Peter Venkman getting recast? :lol
Well he was a cartoon character already, and a comic book character. I guess that's a pretty good litmus test for me :lol I don't think it should be done. I don't think Indy should be recast, either. But neither would seem as egregious as, say, Fassbender reprising Citizen Kane or something.

Back