The Strain on FX - starts July 13

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I missed all that, but now that makes sense. Prior to knowing that I just found it funny how he seemed concerned about the dog being locked up in the shed yet he's going to beat the **** out of him.

I missed all that, but now that makes sense. Prior to knowing that I just found it funny how he seemed concerned about the dog being locked up in the shed yet he's going to beat the **** out of him.

His concern with the dog being in the shed is that he was making too much noise being in there.

I have a neighbor like that. "Your dog is getting old. Want me to take it out back and shoot it for ya?"

This episode reminded me how the master is the most intimidating vampire I've seen on screen. His size, speed, and bad ass coffin is intriguing

I think the one biggest gripe I have with this show is them getting rid of the creepiness of the book. That's not to say that the show isn't creepy, it definitely is, especially with the CHUDS last night. It's just they gave everything away right away. There's was no build up to the vamps or the master. The great part of the first book was just everyone gradually discovering things like fet under the trade center. They got rid of that and replaced it with him getting chased out (still super creepy). I realize that it's impossible to add all that without making it a 25 episode season but I think a little would of helped.

Also give fet his Damn night vision goggles!!!!

I think the one biggest gripe I have with this show is them getting rid of the creepiness of the book. That's not to say that the show isn't creepy, it definitely is, especially with the CHUDS last night. It's just they gave everything away right away. There's was no build up to the vamps or the master. The great part of the first book was just everyone gradually discovering things like fet under the trade center. They got rid of that and replaced it with him getting chased out (still super creepy). I realize that it's impossible to add all that without making it a 25 episode season but I think a little would of helped.

Also give fet his Damn night vision goggles!!!!

Could it be simply that you've read the book, which you've had to use your imagination for, so some of the mystery is taken away seeing it on tv?

Besides, a lot of people these days don't like a slow build up. They'd call it filler.

yea, the walking dead has a lot of filler episodes, but it can get away with it cause it has such a huge fan base and the show is super popular along with the comics. A show like this needs good ratings off the bat cause I don't think there is enough following to extend this out to tons of seasons like the WD.

yea, the walking dead has a lot of filler episodes, but it can get away with it cause it has such a huge fan base and the show is super popular along with the comics. A show like this needs good ratings off the bat cause I don't think there is enough following to extend this out to tons of seasons like the WD.

I haven't seen how it is doing ratings wise. I think it's great show so far, and the poo is hitting the fan now. :lol

I like a Tv show that takes its Time to set the mood and characters but god this so generic that i usually end up doing something else while watching it.
Disappointing so far. I do like the look tho.

We watch this and I really enjoy it. My only complaint is that my wife constantly points out the very large plot-hole with "EVERYONE forgetting about 200+ people dying on a plane, then their bodies disappear & no one notices, no one notices them return home, the four living survivors slowly getting sicker and no-one reports it nor checks up on them" (run-on intended)

I am a public school teacher and if a kid shows up ANYWHERE in our district with TB, everyone knows about it and the CDC keep them in quarantine and then checks on them nonstop; look at how much coverage the Ebola outbreak in Africa is getting and how much supervision the patients have? The news agencies would be covering 200+ people dying like mad and would chasing family to interview; a political cover up wouldn't make that just go away in a few days. Also did the security guy that reviewed the footage of the coffin disappearing just forget that a 9 foot coffin flew off and was unaccounted for?

Last edited:
We watch this and I really enjoy it. My only complaint is that my wife constantly points out the very large plot-hole with "EVERYONE forgetting about 200+ people dying on a plane, then their bodies disappear & no one notices, no one notices them return home, the four living survivors slowly getting sicker and no-one reports it nor checks up on them" (run-on intended)

I only read the first book, long ago when it first came out, but one thing I think the TV show doesn't make a point of is that this is all happening extremely rapidly. I believe it's only been a few days time so far. And considering how fast things hit the fan, it becomes irrelevant pretty fast, too.

Could it be simply that you've read the book, which you've had to use your imagination for, so some of the mystery is taken away seeing it on tv?

Besides, a lot of people these days don't like a slow build up. They'd call it filler.

I do think having read the books and using my imagination is partially to blame. I mean I'm sure I would enjoy the show more than I do now if I hadn't read the books first. Even with knowing what's already happened or going to happen, I know that I would still be genuinely creeped out if they had kept in the creepy parts. Like not showing the master in the first 2 minutes or again, when fet was under the WTC and he knew something was there but you never see it.

I understand why though, I mean for the most part, General tv watching audiences don't have a really big attention span. There's a hundred other shows on they could watch so they have to hook them quickly which means throwing monsters on screen right away (look at penny dreadfuls first episode).

Either way, for the most part I'm enjoying the show and tune in every week. Hopefully any criticisms they get from the first season are fixed for the second.

I only read the first book, long ago when it first came out, but one thing I think the TV show doesn't make a point of is that this is all happening extremely rapidly. I believe it's only been a few days time so far. And considering how fast things hit the fan, it becomes irrelevant pretty fast, too.

I can't recall clearly, but hasn't there been time stamps on certain scenes to give the audience indication of time? I didn't really pay attention to them honestly.

I can't recall clearly, but hasn't there been time stamps on certain scenes to give the audience indication of time? I didn't really pay attention to them honestly.

I guess I didn't, either. :lol

I'm really enjoying this, though. I love that there's a decent gross-out moment on each episode and I like the main actor, and most of the others (the female lead seems a bit stiff)). Enough time has passed since I read the book that I can't really compare them. It's popcorn stuff, but in a good way IMO.

Back