Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this on instagram.
image.jpg

Do the ammo boxes (I assume that's what they are) slide up on ED's arms like they do in the board room scene when it's about to shoot Kinney?

Some people will say ''people just like to nitpick''. Well I say ''how hard is it to get this stuff right?'' FFS.

Or in the case of the voice, how hard is it to not make the utterly stupid decision to make up your own one? Everyone who cared about the sounds was going to be annoyed by that, guaranteed. But y'know, ''we're Hot Toys''.

Yup. All these mistakes, which when you really get down to it, are just moronic, could've easily been avoided. Some people, not all, are way too forgiving. These toys should be damn near perfect for the money they cost. When people let HT slide on things like this, it can only get worse in future releases. They'll figure, if our customers don't care why should we?

The dome is deliberately imperfect. What you are seeing in pictures is deliberate not degradation of the rubber.
For being a hell of a figure, this piece is catching alot of slack
I guess that's The Nature of collecting

This screw-up is just too good NOT to analyze and try to correct.
ED-209 decal, original text.jpg
I have not been able to find a close-up photo of the actual warning label on the original stop-motion model, but I did find a photo of the warnings on the life-size prop. On the full-sized version, the text in the photo is too small to read, so I have no way of knowing exactly what it is supposed to say. However, I CAN observe the following: On the outside knee joints, the warning label is supposed to be printed in red on black, with a yellow and black striped warning band below the text, which is absent from the HT decal version. Also, on the INSIDE knee joints, the warning label is printed in white on black, with no yellow and black band below it.ed209-22.jpg

As for the language:
It seems fairly conclusive that Hot Toys' intent was to print the warning in English, followed by French. (If this is film-accurate, I have NO idea what the decision makers in production were thinking; the movie is set in Detroit. If the story took place in Canada or Louisiana, I could understand.) Anyway: ASSUMING the text is indeed supposed to be English followed by French, and the intended message of the text is accurate (huge assumption) here is my analysis, and my proposed decal corrections:

The decal currently reads:

CAUTION: FOR USE WITH INFORMATION

TECHINCLOGY EQUPMENT, POUR MATERIEL

INFORMATIOUE TECHINCLOGIE APPARATEN

I will ignore the obvious misspellings for the moment... The direct translation from English to French of the phrase, "for use with information technology equipment" would be: "pour une utilisation avec des équipements de technologie de l'information".
Now, it's sensible that this long phrasing would be shortened as much as possible, for the purposes of issuing a printed warning, just as it is in English. I am chopping down the French language to indicate a bare-bones warning message. Note: The word 'apparaten' is not French at all, it's Dutch! Obviously the Dutch word 'apparaten' should be replaced with the French equivalent 'appareils'.
So, my final re-phrasing of the decal text would read as follows:

DANGEROUS SUBSTANCES

CAUTION: FOR USE WITH INFORMATION

TECHNOLOGY EQUIPMENT, POUR MATERIEL

INFORMATIONS TECHNOLOGIE APPAREILS

I re-framed the text and adjusted the spacing in relation to the black backgrounds, to more closely match what is seen on the life-size movie prop. After I have my ED-209 in hand and check the size of the decal area, I'll be adjusting and printing these images to water-slide decals, and making them available. Personally, I don't hold any 'original HT goof charm' in this case; I'd rather have as much accuracy as possible.
ED-209 decal fix, outside leg.jpgand on the inside of the legs:ED-209 decal fix, inside leg.jpg

Last edited:
:rotfl
How can they do such amazing quality stuff, and then drop the ball on simply stuff like this? And the voice... and the leaking screws... and the.......

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl It's not a mistake by Hot Toys. These are the decals they used on the full sized movie prop! It was a very deliberate joke about the nature of ED209s rushed and shonky build quality. :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

I%20work%20for%20Dick%20Jones.jpg

:rotfl

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl It's not a mistake by Hot Toys. These are the decals they used on the full sized movie prop! It was a very deliberate joke about the nature of ED209s rushed and shonky build quality. :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

I%20work%20for%20Dick%20Jones.jpg
If you can provide a close-up photo of the original movie prop showing readable text, I'll believe you. Otherwise, I'm going with Ockham's Razor; the conclusion which requires the least number of assumptions is the correct one. it seems far more likely that HT made errors in spelling French words, and threw in a Dutch word by mistake. By the way- if "These are the decals they used on the full sized movie prop" as you say, why does the HT figure have no yellow and black caution band below the warning message, as shown in the photo I posted of the actual movie prop?
I want accuracy on this piece, even if it's a compromised blending of the life-size prop and the stop-motion model.
Convince me... show me a photo that supports your claim, if you can.

Last edited:
thanks for the fix
I know this thing has some little issues with it, but damn, it could literally be a movie prop(aside from some articulation restriction in the toes)

Found out today that the head can go up and down as long as it's looking straight, as the legs get in the way(with vertical movement) when the head is turned

If you can provide a close-up photo of the original movie prop showing readable text, I'll believe you. Otherwise, I'm going with Ockham's Razor; the conclusion which requires the least number of assumptions is the correct one. it seems far more likely that HT made errors in spelling French words, and threw in a Dutch word by mistake. By the way- if "These are the decals they used on the full sized movie prop" as you say, why does the HT figure have no yellow and black caution band below the warning message, as shown in the photo I posted of the actual movie prop?
I want accuracy on this piece, even if it's a compromised blending of the life-size prop and the stop-motion model.
Convince me... show me a photo that supports your claim, if you can.

:lecture :lecture :lecture

It just seems like another silly HT ****-up at the minute. We know their English hasn't been great in the past. But if the actual movie-decals were the same, fine if that can be proven.

Back