Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure, a minor glitch.

ed-209-dick-jones.jpg

Spare parts for twenty years.

Good review but maybe your batteries are weak. Mine works pretty good from a distance. What's your take on the voice. When you do take better pictures can you compare him with the old one (that's if you have the original one).

I don't have the original anymore. The voice is wrong. I don't know why they didn't use clips from the movie. Pronunciation is off. Not going to mess with the batteries anymore.

Anybody in Japan?

Amazon Japan has this listed right now for $200. Brand new, free shipping. Of course the catch is that they only deliver to Japan.

I am sorely tempted, but I already impulse purchased the 1/6th Batmobile and don't have the room for a giant ED 209 after that!! Besides, I have my NECA and that's good enough.

Anyone post pictures of HT next to NECA? I'd like to see that.

Why would anyone compare them though? One is $400 and the other is $60.

If space and $$$ is an issue, the NECA one is an excellent option. You can't go wrong with either one.

While we at at it, lest also compare a Mercedes Benz with a Honda Civic.

It's the same figure.
NECA has the wrong color, the toes have an odd shape...

As a RoboCop fan I compare them and the HT figure is better.

For its money the NECA one is OK but has misconceptions and shortcomings.

Would you seriously not expect it to be at almost 6x the price though?

I'm a Robo fan too, and I have both. The Neca one is excellent. But of course the HT one is miles better.

Thanks for the fast reply on the pic!!

I'm still hoping to see a pic that has the ultimate line-up: Hot Toys, Horizon kit, NECA, Kenner ED 260, and the Kotobukiya.

I love seeing stuff lined up like that. I know it's weird....but I have a feeling my fellow collectors like it too.

200 is a very good price for a great toy (half of the amount I payed) - I'd do it even if a had all the other four you mentioned.

I bought at double the price, so don't listen to me! :lol

The Neca seems to be a cool collectible for what it is but there's no way to even compare it to the HT one because it's a completely different product. It's not even a Honda & Benz type comparison; that would be more like comparing the original to the new one. Neca to this is an ATV to car, or an apple to orange comparison. They're not even in the same league to compare properly. The same way you couldn't make a comparison between Neca's spring loaded 7" Robo fig with HT's die-cast, or any 7" to high end 1/6 for that matter.

If you want an ED on display and money, space, not a big enough fan to drop $400, or whatever else the concern may be, then the Neca is cool. If you collect things of all different scales then that's another story too; but there's no real way to rank the Neca and HT against each other

The Neca seems to be a cool collectible for what it is but there's no way to even compare it to the HT one because it's a completely different product. It's not even a Honda & Benz type comparison; that would be more like comparing the original to the new one. Neca to this is an ATV to car, or an apple to orange comparison. They're not even in the same league to compare properly. The same way you couldn't make a comparison between Neca's spring loaded 7" Robo fig with HT's die-cast, or any 7" to high end 1/6 for that matter.

If you want an ED on display and money, space, not a big enough fan to drop $400, or whatever else the concern may be, then the Neca is cool. If you collect things of all different scales then that's another story too; but there's no real way to rank the Neca and HT against each other

I've always thought certain aspects can be compared between a low-end and high-end toy of the same subject, things like screen accuracy. You see that with Predators all the time, the NECA ones more often than not are deemed more accurate than the Hot Toys ones. Same with the Aliens. The quality is inferior of course (well actually, not necessarily in the case of the Aliens) but quality has no bearing on accuracy to source material.

I even used to compare the NECA Arnie likenesses to those achieved by Hot Toys and in some ways I thought NECA's Kyle Windrix had a better handle on Arnie than Yulli did. I still kinda do, even though I no longer rate the T2 Arnie sculpt by NECA quite as high as I used to, it has the shape of his head and the hairstyle down way better than HT have ever achieved all the way up to and including DX13.

Which is not to say that I'll tell someone to buy the NECA stuff over Hot Toys. But if it's simply for the sake of discussion, yeah I think there's things that can be said, there's ways in which you can compare them and I daresay even suggest that low-end did something better than high-end. Quality and impressiveness will never be one of those things though.

Last edited:
Back