SSC Batman 1/6 figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe you haven't said it in over a year and a half, but you've been saying it for years, but whatever. Not important.

You're right. It's NOT important... except for the fact that you felt it necessary to make the point twice. And I have not been saying this "for years". It came up about a year and a half ago when I was first moving forward with my play. Back then, I expressed my preference for Batman's classic look over the movie armored look and ended up having to fend off smarmy attacks for my aesthetic choice from you on the other message board. But whatever.

I get the not liking the armor look. I also agree on the whole suspension of disbelief, but a guy who isn't from another planet who can't get hurt, wearing nothing but tights tests the boundries on that disbelief, every time.

I suppose it does for YOU. But it doesn't for me. Therein lies one of several differences between our viewpoints.

Why do you think the 66 show was never taken seriously? I remember watching the episode with the Green Hornet as a kid and thinking how much cooler GH and Kato looked next to Batman and Robin, it almost made me stop watching the show.

I think the 1966 TV series was never taken seriously because it was never intended to be taken seriously. It was played for CAMPINESS. I don't think it has anything to do with the garments worn by BATMAN... especially not in the wild polyester, phsychadelic, "go-go" days of 1966.

Not for nothing, but Batman isn't any different than James Bond. They're both fictional characters with a long history, and like most characters with a long history, they're going to have good periods and bad periods. JB isn't believable either.

Well CLEARLY that is the difference between our sensibilities. You require real world "believeability" in these movie adaptations of these fantasy characters. I do not. And That's okay. Different strokes and all that. I don't want fantasy characters to be "believeable". I want them to be extraordinary... fantastic. For me, that's where all the fun is. Space battles in STAR WARS would be pretty dull if they were staged to be "believeable" (as in reality-accurate).

Using gadgets is nothing new to Batman. He's been using them since the very first stories. That's part of the appeal. Hell Batman in the comics for the longest time had nothing but gadgets, Batmobile, Batboat, utility belt, etc.etc. Any deus ex machina the writers could think of. The training he had is all well and good, so I would think that using body armor wouldn't be a stretch by any means. In the first Joker story, he mentions his bullet proof vest. There's nothing "real world" about it. The crooks in Gotham ALWAYS had gun and other weapons, fictional or not.

Everything you say here is ABSOLUTELY ACCURATE AND TRUE.

I only maintain that those gadgets (during the earliest stories) were not as objectionable to me (for the most part) since they were re-configured ordinary items that did not draw too much attention to the fact that Batman MUST be a millionaire. For example his Bat-a-Rang was just an ordinary Bat-Customized boomerang. The items in his utility belt were simple smoke bombs, first-aid kits, lock picking kits, forensics kits, etc. The Batmobile was just an ordinary Bat-Customized sedan... Bat-Cycle was just an ordinary motor cycle re-purposed with Bat-iconography etc. The Bat-Glider was just an ordinary glider with scalloped wings. Consequently, since these were ordinary items, The Batman had to be VERY GOOD... VERY SKILLED in their use during his crime-fighting.

But very quickly (even in the comics) that began to change. Batman started to be seen in "Whirly Bats", Bat Planes, etc. Really expensive hardware.

As time passed and technology advanced (in the real world) the writers (in their zeal to make the character technologically cutting edge) added things to his arsenal that could ONLY be afforded by zillionaire. By the time Frank Miller produced The Dark Knight Returns, the Batmobile was a Sherman Tank. I always felt these things called attention to his status as a very wealthy man. In addition, the simple Bat-a-Rangs of yesteryear were now laser-guided... programmable (See "Batman Returns"). This made the character less skilled. His aim didn't have to be perfect anymore. His timing didn't have to be perfect anymore when leaping off a building and throwing his catch line to swing away. Now, all he had to do was use his grappling gun.

Yes, the Batman was seen using a bullet proof vest in the early days of the comics. But that was NOT a consistent thing, and in fact it was rare when compared to his use of NON-BALLISTIC protection. Over the history of the character (from mid 1940's - 1990's and beyond) published stories were RIFE with examples of the character NOT wearing ANY kind of protective garmentry... He was getting shot, stabbed, slashed, cut, etc. In Batman The Animated series (which was heavily based on the comics) The character's outfit was CLEARLY NOT ARMORED. The concept of Batman wearing ballistic protection was still such a novelty when Tim Burton made his first Batman film in 1989 that it was a topic of conversation for many when it was announced the Bat costume would be body armor. Remember, contemporary Bat afficionados had really only seen an armored Batman at the finale of The Dark Knight Returns prior to that.

So, I don't think anyone could be Batman, but if all he was wearing were tights, he wouldn't be Batman for very long. His career would be shorter than Christian Bale's.

And if The Green Hornet and Kato went up against armed gangsters and hoodlums wearing nothing but their trench coat and chauffer outfits, they'd likely not last long either... but THEY do not wear armor either.

See... we're going in circles here.

Understand this, my only issue during this debate has ALWAYS been the LOGIC used by the opposing view. It is NOT consistent. You're fine suspending disbelief so long as the character in question is wearing something that is not objectionable to you. But when they wear tights (which you DO find objectionable), suddenly, "It is not realistic"... "He would not last out in the street wearing those tights"... etc. But all of those statements apply to characters wearing the more textured garments you DO prefer.

THAT'S my point.

If the statement is simply "I don't like tights. They AESTHETICALLY don't work for me.", Then my response becomes, "Well... then we'll agree to disagree, because I like them". And that's the end of that. But anti-tights wearing camp always feels the need to interject this whole "realism" aspect in their (your) argument and that's where you lose me. I maintain that when using that "realism logic" as a barometer, the ENTIRE CONCEPT of superheroes fighting crime (whether it is dressed in heavy capes, vision-reducing cowls and masks, thin tights, heavy armor, heavy boots... whatever) IT ALL FALLS APART. I personally do NOT consider one garment more or less "plausible" than any other when discussing FANTASY SUPERHEROES. To me, They are ALL PREPOSTEROUS... no matter what they're wearing... and I maintain that this very preposterousness is a BIG PART of my enjoyment... which this drive for "realism" is steadily killing off (Re: "Catpain America" movies where he hardly even wears his costume etc.)

You're right, I've never seen your play, but with a title like, "Fathers of the Dark Knight", I would guess that it would be about the creators themselves, not the characters. Especially considering that some of the characters weren't even created by them.

The play is about BOTH the creators AND their characters. It examines the parallels between the personal attitudes, events, and ideas going on in the real lives of the creators and how it inspired and shaped similarities in their characters and fantasy universe.

The fantasy characters NOT created by Bob Kane, Bill Finger and Jerry Robinson who appear in this play (re: Nightwing, Harley Quinn, Batgirl) are there because they were created by LATER "Fathers" of the Dark Knight... men and women of the comic book industry who were inspired by the works of the original three artists . The play is partially about THAT as well. That play examines what Bob Kane thought of the use of HIS characters for purposes he never intended (like Richard Grayson being changed from Robin into Nightwing and turned from a supporting character into a lead character). Kane had some VERY strong feeling about that, which the play explores as well... hence Nightwing's appearance. With this play, I explore the works of other Batman mythology "fathers" throughout key points of the history of the character, like Bruce Timm and Paul Dini's work on Batman The Animated Series... which introduced Harley Quinn to the mythology (hence, HER appearance in the play). So this play is NOT just about and Bob, Bill, and Jerry and their creations. It is also about their LEGACY to inspire other artists and creators (like you, me, and many others on this board and others)... after they are gone.

As far as the costume, you can maintain all you want, but take away the mask, emblem and belt and it's no different than Adam West. The material may be different, but it's the same thing.

No. It is NOT the same thing. If the material is different, and the details are different, and the color is different, and the cut of the garment is different, and the fit upon the figure is different, and manner of wear is different, then how the hell can it be the same??

Not only are the tights on the two outfits NOT the same fabric, they are not even the same color (mine-charcoal grey / Adam's-light grey). They do not even fit in the same way, Adam's (looser-fitting supplex) versus my skin-tight Spandex tights (fabricated on the dull side of the fabric)

In addition, The boots I fabricated are very tall (up to the knee cap) leather black boots, with straps and thick combat boot rubber sole grips.
The boots Adam wore were short (up to the shins), satin Navy Blue boots, with a flat sole.

The gauntlets I made for Batman are long, black thick leather gloves with oversized stiff Bat-fins
The ones Adam wore were long as well, but they were made of navy blue satin with soft, small bat fins.

Adam's Cape is a short navy blue, scalloped satin cape, that ends around his upper calves and is worn flipped behind the shoulders.
Mine is a long faux leather scalloped black cape that drags on the floor and is worn closed in front (Animated Series style). It features rods at the leading ends that allow for full extension whenever the character spreads the cape open like wings.

So, when you compare the costumes, it runs down like this: Cowls... VERY different. Utility belts... very different. Gloves and boots... very different. Cape very different. Tights... different. The costume I created shares FAR more in common with the Dead End outfit than it ever does with Adam West's.

But I guess if you think that spending $50,000 to prove a point is worth it, well, it's your money.

I didn't spend $50,000 to "prove a point", smart guy. I spent it because I love the character. I have for 47 years. And this stage play was a concept that inspired me and excited me (as an artist) to produce it... just as it excited my student cast and crew, whom I have a tremendous amount of respect and affection for. these were young men and women who, like me were disappointed to see the budget for school performing arts SHRINKING every year in the public school. And as an Arts educator, I put my OWN MONEY where my mouth was and put something AMBITIOUS together that these performers could take pride and ownership in

It was also a play that served (and continues to serve) as a community outreach inspiration to the many poor young people living in Bob Kane and Bill Finger's own former stomping grounds. It shows them that creating something ambitious, and worthwhile was possible even for three poor guys living in the Bronx and working with limited resources. That is why our initial run of this show this summer was performed at DeWitt Clinton High School... the very alma mater of Bob Kane and Bill Finger (class of 1933).

My student performers (dressed in character and representing the FOTDK brand) have had the enrichment experience of doing community outreach to promote this play for well over a year now... and they continue to do so... going to Comic Cons, posing with children, performing for them. We are now even partnering up with the Make a Wish foundation as we move the brand forward.

So, once again, you speak about that which you know nothing about.

But again, not important, and none of my business. Good luck with it.

You're right. None of your business, but I thank you for your well wishes.

I also like the cape draped in front, I liked it in BM89 and Returns. I think it looks great, but the cape pushed over the shoulders started with, and is pure Adam West. I've never seen him do otherwise.

Yes I believe I already said that in my last post

I never said I needed a big guy either. But I don't know what's worse, a short, balding comedian or a tall, thin guy who could never really act.

Well I wouldn't be interested in either for Batman. That is why I suggested a tall, ATHLETICALLY BUILT actor, preferably one who is a good actor, and one who really understood and loved the character as Chris Reeve did.

I know how good Alec Baldwin could have been. I mentioned him in my first post. Are you even reading any of this?

Yes I am. In fact I'm being VERY thorough. I'm quoting YOU every step of the way as I respond to your different points. Your mentions of Alec Baldwin in both of your previous posts got responses from me. So the question is are YOU even reading any of this?

I'm sorry that the last 25 years of Batman films have been so disappointing to you. That sucks, it really does. I hope one day someone, anyone gets it right.

Maybe it will be you.

Maybe. I've certainly been crazy enough to put my passion and resources into seeing MY preferred version of the character produced in other media. Then again maybe... just maybe that's not enough.

Last edited:
You guys do realize that the reason the costume was originally blue and not black was because of the limits of the 4-color process that comics used for printing back in the day, right? Much of the detail of the costume would be lost when Batman was in the shadows. The blue allowed the artists to show Batman in detail in the shadows. But hey, that doesn't impact whether you prefer the blue or the black with the gray. Put me down as a fan of the blue who also digs the black (or any other costume, I like pretty much all of em - it the g@#damn Batman after all).

Oh, and the reason, IIRC, for the underwear on the outside on Supes and Bats? It was there to break up the lines of the character and distinguish upper body from lower.

Amen, brother! But since The Batman and Superman's lower garments are worn on the OUTSIDE, I prefer not to refer to them disparagingly as "underwear" (or even "panties" as some like to do). I prefer to call them by their correct name... trunks.

The good thing is we're all here for high-end action figures, where IMO either armor or spandex looks kickass.

Amen.

Wow, who would have thought something other than a Bale topic could bring a thread to a screeching halt.

You're right. And I apologize.

I promise NOT to continue this conversation on this thread any longer. This is a place to discuss the merits of this upcoming SSC Batman figure (love it or hate it). And that is ALL I will discuss from now on.

I, for one LOVE the figure, and cannot wait until it is released... tights and all. :wink1:

On the Da Bomb Show video posted, the Sideshow guy say that the figure is quite a bit taller. Does that mean the figure will be in scale with the DCD figures?

Yeah, he looks quite bigger (taller) alright. If the figure clocks @ 12.5", I'd say it's good enough as it translates to 6'3" in 1:1 and Batman is 6'2" in comics. If the figure goes taller than that then we might see some slight mods on here once it's out.

On the Da Bomb Show video posted, the Sideshow guy say that the figure is quite a bit taller. Does that mean the figure will be in scale with the DCD figures?

Yup, in typical Sideshow fashion, there is always something they screw up.

The DCD figures were passed on because they were out of scale and here Sideshow gets them and makes them taller than other 1/6 figure.

Looking forward to getting this piece, a nice mixture of Hush Batman and the Classic Neal Adams version. Not to worried about the height since my main focus isn't main focus is not superheros, just want to add a nice 1:6 scale Batman to my collection that's not from the movies and this fits the bill nicely.

Gotta be honest...as long as this figure is scaled perfectly with SSCs other comic superheroes I.e superman, lantern, flash, wolverine, deadpool...I'm ok with that.

Wanna get a batman vs wolverine diorama going on. Or deadpool.

It's gonna be sick!!!

I don't care about movie Batman I just want definitive Batman which is a toss up between this guy and HT Arkham Bats. What to doooooo?????

Gotta be honest...as long as this figure is scaled perfectly with SSCs other comic superheroes I.e superman, lantern, flash, wolverine, deadpool...I'm ok with that.

Wanna get a batman vs wolverine diorama going on. Or deadpool.

It's gonna be sick!!!

batman vs wolverine would be awesome. im really surprised dc and marvel haven't considered a proper cross over comicbook for those guys. it would probably be a disappointment but i would still like to see it. make it old school treasury edition sized like superman vs spiderman back i the day :)

I don't care about movie Batman I just want definitive Batman which is a toss up between this guy and HT Arkham Bats. What to doooooo?????

Kinda having the same predicament as you, but I got half of it solved. I have this PO'd from day one and I'm very glad about that. What I can't figure out is whether I really want and if I still need Arkham HT Batman.

I gotta have both a blue grey and black n grey version LOVE both versions from comic to this AMAZING GAME. I was watching Kevin Smith talk about movie making and the crap that gets thrown in to sell toys in movies. The whole marketing and bull that gets thrown in so we MUST HAVE NEXT is realy made me step back on my collection choice's. I see Guardians getting a lot of praise and have not seen it and not knocking anyone who's does just using as a EXAMPLE. I'm just saying i want a collection i would love and not sell a year later after the fad has gone. Again just pointing out how the movie's n games are strictly AIMED AT OUR WALLETS. It's EASY to get CAUGHT UP In the NEXT BIG Adventure or fad in this hobby. After all said in done its our choice and see so much more marketing in some line's then other''s and all about what we want and love in the hobby and collecting. Realy glad they took up this line love all the games and hope we see a lot from this line, so much great character's in this line hope we see some bad ass enemys come out of this. I hope before attacking next big movie aimed at our wallet's... Just saying CHOOSE WISELY GRASSHOPPER.

I gotta have both a blue grey and black n grey version LOVE both versions from comic to this AMAZING GAME. I was watching Kevin Smith talk about movie making and the crap that gets thrown in to sell toys in movies. The whole marketing and bull that gets thrown in so we MUST HAVE NEXT is realy made me step back on my collection choice's. I see Guardians getting a lot of praise and have not seen it and not knocking anyone who's does just using as a EXAMPLE. I'm just saying i want a collection i would love and not sell a year later after the fad has gone. Again just pointing out how the movie's n games are strictly AIMED AT OUR WALLETS. It's EASY to get CAUGHT UP In the NEXT BIG Adventure or fad in this hobby. After all said in done its our choice and see so much more marketing in some line's then other''s and all about what we want and love in the hobby and collecting. Realy glad they took up this line love all the games and hope we see a lot from this line, so much great character's in this line hope we see some bad ass enemys come out of this. I hope before attacking next big movie aimed at our wallet's... Just saying CHOOSE WISELY GRASSHOPPER.

I agree, bud. This is very wise. Apparently most of us think that we know better than these marketing gimmicks, but then we often just realize that we don't after having already spent $$$ for some figures.

I have to get both. I like the costume of the SSC Batman and I really like the sculpt and cowl for the HT Arkham Batman. Plus the Arkham Bats is the only Kevin Conroy Batman around these days.

Back