Baroness art lost then found!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spazzy

Super Freak
Reaction score
I posted this on another board, and now I want to post it everywhere I frequent.

I don't know where to post art stuff, but since this is related to G.I. Joe, thought I would post here, mods if you need to move this please do.

I was at SDCC a few years ago, bought the new sketchbook from J Scott Campbell, went to my car and saw an awesome piece:

I couldn't believe it my favorite character done by one of my favorite artists. I ran back up to see Campbell and asked if it was for sale, he said he gave it to a long time support that I think was visiting from the UK. I was TOTALLY bummed. A couple weeks later I see on Campbell's message board the owner posted it. I basically hounded him for 5-6 months until he was ready to sell. A bit high but to me well worth it. I got headshots before, but they were very quick and I wanted something more like this. Well I set up a pick up through fedex, told him what needed to be included, and it got held up in customs because the art declaration and comercial invoice was not included, held it up for almost 2 months. Finally went through received it 2 days later, was in a masonite board, was very excited almost made it a ritual opening it, laid it out on a large table got my scissors used the restroom washed my hands thoroughly, I was extactic, came back then noticed something, the package was opened on one side, ok that is fine I understand customs needs to open and check there was even the customs tape on there, opened the boards up more, and what do I find in there? the 11x17 plastic sleeve.........that's it! I almost broke down and cried. I was hoping it may have just slipped out somewhere at the station or maybe in the truck, nope nada nuttin'! I started the claims process, normally they do not allow art to be insured for over $500, well I was charged for the insurance which was over $2k plus shipping, and came to like $115 (I was a fedex employee so I got a discount). They fought that it wasn't supposed to be this way, back and forth bs, I had to send copies of the airwaybill multiple times, finally after no communication and promises of looking into it more, I complained about this and the cut a check the next day and fedex it to me overnight, this ordeal took over 8 months to complete! I was happy it was at least over with.

The next sdcc Campbell heard of my situation and offered me a commission at a lower price than what I paid (so awesome of him) and I got this piece:

I was SOOO happy, I am not much of an emotional person, so I am sure Campbell was unsure if I liked it or not, but I sent him an email that I did. I got a nice frame for her which cost me around $300 since it is an odd shaped item I think it was 11x25 or something....unfortunatly I went on workers comp and was out of work for 14 months, I still got checks but it wasn't what I was making with the 20+ hrs of ot I was getting a week. So this and many other items I loved (endoskul 1:1 clean bust, Darth Mul 1:1 bust, Hulk green pf, Venom 1:1 bust to name a few) needed to be sold, I was devastated, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to survive...California is expensive!

I have yet to ask for another commission, as they don't come cheap but would love to get another one one day, I really hope Campbell doesn't see that I sold the item because I was looking to profit from it or didn't like it, I just got in a _____ situation and I needed to find quick ways of getting out of it.

AS much as I like the second comission, I will always like the one that got away from me more, something about it appeals to me more.

Well I got an update, lol, after 4 years I can finally put this to rest.

I got a message saying that it was sold to the person by the same guy that sold it to me, how on EARTH would he have it again???! I had the packaging, there is no way it could have made it back to him.

A free item he got paid for twice, Russell Sheath you are slime!

And yes I plan to post this wherever I can. If I could get him for insurance fraud or grand theft, I would do that too....but a little lazy to research lol.

oh and russell told the person NOT to post it on CAF, he told me the same thing because he wanted to hide it from Campbell that he sold his free gift.

Last edited:
That's a lot to read, so you bought a piece of art...it was lost, you got a new commission and then the old piece is in the hands of the guy that eff'ed you over? Yo joe.

Cool pieces and compelling story, but not really sure what the smear campaign idea hopes to accomplish? Is he an art dealer or just some dude who ripped you off (if I am reading that right)? You should totally look into pursuing the fraud aspects and see what the statute of limitations is for this case.

Not really a smear campaign, it originally started off as a reply to a thread topic, what piece were you most dissappointed over, didn't matter why it dissappointed you, so since I never received the piece I was most dissappointed in it. I got a response shortly after, second part of post, and just thought it was an interesting story, as a collector in the art community I would assume others would like to know of situations like this and the person specifically to avoid dealings with. Or worse case scenario if he is selling duplicates of this art to warn others to not buy it.

And yes I plan to post this wherever I can. If I could get him for insurance fraud or grand theft, I would do that too....but a little lazy to research lol.

If I were you, I'd look into it. Might be somewhat rewarding to put that ____er behind bars for a bit.

lol...even if living internationally? Not sure I want to get involved with something like that, who knows what could happen.

If anything, I would hope Campbell sees this and knows not to give him another piece for free at least.

lol...even if living internationally? Not sure I want to get involved with something like that, who knows what could happen.

If anything, I would hope Campbell sees this and knows not to give him another piece for free at least.

Given the amount, I believe you can even file a case here. Be an entirely different story if it was a small corrupt country with no extradition treaty.

A thousand times better, I'd say.

And the guy who sold the first one to you is indeed slime. Did the insurance check cover the full price you paid?

Second print captures the character much more then the first. The red background just adds to the overall feel of the peice that and I dont ever remember Baroness popping a squat in front of Cobra Commander in the cartoon like in the first print.

Show picture. Explain what a ****** the guy was in one sentence...show new commission. The end.

:dunno

Given the amount, I believe you can even file a case here. Be an entirely different story if it was a small corrupt country with no extradition treaty.

hmm, maybe I will shoot over an email to fedex see if anything could be done.

A thousand times better, I'd say.

And the guy who sold the first one to you is indeed slime. Did the insurance check cover the full price you paid?

I love both, but something about the first one that got to me, it was exciting seeing my favorite character done by one of my favorite artists, he drew Baroness before, but not in a standalone piece.

I did get the money back all of it mainly because fedex dropped the ball, and they finally gave in. They were fighting it because they only insure art up to $500...and this was much more... I also got the postage for international shipping and the insurance paid.

Second print captures the character much more then the first. The red background just adds to the overall feel of the peice that and I dont ever remember Baroness popping a squat in front of Cobra Commander in the cartoon like in the first print.

I can see how most prefer the red Baroness better, but it was more than that to me.

Pop a squat, lol

Art is not a print, a print is something printed out, like a litho or what SS uses as a crappy exclusive for their statues.

Wait, so you got the 2nd "drawing" and got the money back from FedEx? And still want to put the screws to this guy? V for Vendetta brosive. :duff

Back