Battle of the Big Bads

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chapter 2099

Super Freak
Reaction score
New discussion time! :rock

Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer gave us 7 seasons of some of the biggest, baddest, and let's face it, some of the down right, most evil villains that have ever graced the "small screen." So in a battle royale of the baddest of the bad, who was your top BTVS villain and why?

(This used to be a 'Whedon Fan Group' Exclusive, but it's now a Whedonville free-for-all! :rock)

For me, every one of the seasons brought something big and bad to the table, but if I had to choose one, Angelus gets my vote.

He's a seasoned vampire who's insidious, soulless, immortal, and who can forget that charming smile that's to die for....literally. :lol Unlike most every other villain (with the exception of The First and a few others,) Angelus' real strengths were the emotional mind games that he played ever so well against Buffy. In many ways, after the showdown with the Slayer in the Season 2 finale, Buffy was never the same again.

So my vote for "The Biggest Bad" goes to Angelus. Here's to a job well done. :duff

To me Buffy's biggest bad was the one she couldn't fight. The brain tumour that killed Joyce. But as with all things she faced off against she learned and somehow became stronger.

My favorite big bad is Angelus. He's also the most evil one I can think off.

Hot and sinister. Atleast that was BtVS season 2 Angelus. Angelus Ats season 4 Angelus got annoying and whiny. Still cool, but he was so much creepier and scary when we didn't get to see him whine. But, I do like that we got to see more of the character, both in season 4 and in flashbacks throught the show. So we kind of "lost" the perfect villain and got a more layered one. Still wonder if that couldn't have been done without the whinyness.

On the other hand, if we had seen him for several episodes, not losing control at all, it might have been unrealistic, considering that Angel was also occasionally whiny, so why wouldn't souless Angel be?

Anyhow, he was the best villain. The others weren't as entertaining, or they had some human element that made them seem less evil. Warren comes pretty close though. He's a disgusting pathethic piece of crap who makes me ashame to call myself a geek. He had a soul, he could love and what he did to Katrina? Trying to kill Buffy? Not feeling guilty at all it seems? That was true evil. He's actually too evil to be entertaining, which is why I prefer Angelus(who is of course more evil, but in a non-soul having way). It's just worse when humans are the evil ones.

My favorite big bad is Angelus. He's also the most evil one I can think off.

Hot and sinister. Atleast that was BtVS season 2 Angelus. Angelus Ats season 4 Angelus got annoying and whiny. Still cool, but he was so much creepier and scary when we didn't get to see him whine. But, I do like that we got to see more of the character, both in season 4 and in flashbacks throught the show. So we kind of "lost" the perfect villain and got a more layered one. Still wonder if that couldn't have been done without the whinyness.

On the other hand, if we had seen him for several episodes, not losing control at all, it might have been unrealistic, considering that Angel was also occasionally whiny, so why wouldn't souless Angel be?

Anyhow, he was the best villain. The others weren't as entertaining, or they had some human element that made them seem less evil. Warren comes pretty close though. He's a disgusting pathethic piece of crap who makes me ashame to call myself a geek. He had a soul, he could love and what he did to Katrina? Trying to kill Buffy? Not feeling guilty at all it seems? That was true evil. He's actually too evil to be entertaining, which is why I prefer Angelus(who is of course more evil, but in a non-soul having way). It's just worse when humans are the evil ones.

I definitely see your point there. They added a lot of levels to him in "Angel." I liked it though. It definitely reminded me: "Man, this guy IS bad." :lol

That whole arc with the return of the Faith and Angelus, etc. etc. etc. So good. I really loved that season, despite all of the criticism it gets.

I really disliked that season, but I loooove those episodes. The dream walk is my favorite part (right up until we get the "You have to fight Faith" speech by Angel. I'm tired of those kind of speeches), but pretty much any Faith and Angel(us) scene is good. There's also other great stuff in those episodes. For example, Faith showing Connor who's boss or the Willow scenes. I haven't been excited about Willow for a few seasons now, she used to be my favorite character, but in season 4 of Angel she was cool and likeable again.

Makes me realize how much I need to revisit Season 4. I really liked it....A LOT.

Dark Willow is my favorite followed closely by Angelus.

Dark Willow: Seeing sweet Willow twisted.
Angelus: Seething with evil and Sadism.
The Mayor: He was so much fun to watch
Glory: The ultimate spoiled _____, she was great fun.
Spike: The character was great but I didn't think he hit his stride till later.
The Master: Under utilized. He could have been so much more impressive.
Adam: Too talky, less dooey.

The Mayor for me. He managed to walk that fine line between humor and dark menace. I just adored him. :D

The Mayor for me. He managed to walk that fine line between humor and dark menace. I just adored him. :D

His personality was off the chart! He was so twisted, but like you said he walked that fine line and always kept you guessing in that respect. I loved how he always kept his cool, and was so nonchalant about everthing, yet prim and proper, even during the apocalypse. My favorite line of his was after he ascended in "Graduation Day" and Buffy lures him to the library. He realizes the plan with explosives and all you hear before the explosion is *in a calm manner* "Well, gosh."

Love that. One of the most memorable lines in show history, IMO. :lol

The Mayor was great, I loved how he hated germs 'ugh, unsanitary', and how he got his yaya's from shredding paper :lol.

I really like all mentioned so far but I got to include Anyanka, her bizarro world was great :rock

The Judge, he was spiffy :lol

Caleb, works in mysterious ways, but also some very simple ones :rock

The Gentlemen, caused Giles to draw a fat Buffy picture slide :stake :lol

so many bad guys to choose from :rock
x :wave

The Gentlemen definitely rank number one for me in terms of creepiness....So, so creepy.

The Gentlemen definitely rank number one for me in terms of creepiness....So, so creepy.
Incredibly creepy :lecture

Loving the new you Chap :rock
Faith quote
Angel Card
Buffy Sig

...they're all represented :rock, good work my friend :hi5:

I'm sat watching Illyria playing crash bandicoot so she's not as scary at the mo :lol

As for Angel Episodes, I like the one where his young friend came back and was reliving Angelus and his 'killing spree' days. He said Angelus was his father and Angel's respose was 'you're grounded'.
I can't remember his name but it was the early seasons of Angel cos Det. Lockley (Elisabeth Rohm :drool was in it).

Incredibly creepy :lecture

Loving the new you Chap :rock
Faith quote
Angel Card
Buffy Sig

...they're all represented :rock, good work my friend :hi5:

I'm sat watching Illyria playing crash bandicoot so she's not as scary at the mo :lol

As for Angel Episodes, I like the one where his young friend came back and was reliving Angelus and his 'killing spree' days. He said Angelus was his father and Angel's respose was 'you're grounded'.
I can't remember his name but it was the early seasons of Angel cos Det. Lockley (Elisabeth Rohm :drool was in it).

Thanks!!! :rock

I'm still fine tuning the sig. I'd like it to have less white around the edges, or be a little "darker". It's a work in progress, but I'm getting there!

As for the episode, you're thinking of Penn. And the only reason why I know that is because it's Jeremy Renner!!!....who played "Hawkeye" in Thor and will return in "The Avengers" directed by none other than.....JOSS!!! Talk about 6 degrees! :lol

MAN, I need to pick up Season 1 again!! I'm totally forgetting all of the awesomeness!!! Good memory, Shell!! :hi5:

.....And Angelus still gets my vote. Rewatching the entire series now, and in the heart of S2.

Angelus was the 'top of the top' in the Big Bad world, IMO. That guy knows no bounds. Can't wait for "Becoming." :monkey2

In terms of power? I think Evil Willow or Glory would get my vote.

And on the other end of the spectrum, the worst Big Bad is....Warren

I enjoyed the Mayor/Faith and seeing their twisted relationship together, and how Faith needed a father figure in her life. Mayor Wilkins was also just so darn entertaining!

I also enjoyed the season with Glory, as that was one of the biggest challenges Buffy faced, going against a God. I enjoyed Spike's character that season, had some great humorous scenes and running gags(Spike can see Glory change into Ben but no one else remembers, HA)

The least interesting was Adam- kind of boring. The back story of the Initiative and Riley's involvement with them was good but Adam was just..... pointless.

Of course the show always has its moments no matter what season or villain it is, that's the power of Joss!

Last edited:
In terms of power? I think Evil Willow or Glory would get my vote.

And on the other end of the spectrum, the worst Big Bad is....Warren

I meant in terms of all-around 'baddie.' He just has that 'it' factor, IMO. He's not the strongest physical foe she's ever faced, but he affected her emotionally like no other, before or after.

S2 was such a gem.

All the Big Bads brought something unique to the table though. Angelus just happens to be my fave.

I wish Adam got more screen time. I liked him/it. :lol

Just finished up Season 4 and am already missing the big lug!

Back