Misc Military Accessories and Dio pieces thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProgMatinee

circlesendwheretheybegin
Reaction score
I figure instead of posting a new thread everytime I had a question or comment about something I just create this thread and post here now and then.

Anyway, on to first question. Does anyone know of some good scale crates or gun cases, etc out there? Or is it something have to make myself?

I'd like to pose Duke sort of "discovering" a hidden cache of stuff.

oh yeah, preferably modern looking cases?

Thats pretty cool. A little pricey to buy several of those, but I can maybe buy 2 of them to have opened on the top.

Would like something a little bit bigger though so that Duke can sort of be leaning or pulling a Captain Morgan on a crate.

Thats pretty cool. A little pricey to buy several of those, but I can maybe buy 2 of them to have opened on the top.

Would like something a little bit bigger though so that Duke can sort of be leaning or pulling a Captain Morgan on a crate.

Buy a box of popsicle sticks, cut the ends square, saw them in half and go nuts.

I think that might be the route to go with. I do have some crafting ability. Just won't look as prof as it could.

I might just buy a bunch of popsicles and stalk the local college campus and ask coeds to clean them off while I watch. I can put the crate together while I await questioning.

I think that might be the route to go with. I do have some crafting ability. Just won't look as prof as it could.

I might just buy a bunch of popsicles and stalk the local college campus and ask coeds to clean them off while I watch. I can put the crate together while I await questioning.

37754_140322465985736_140322105985772_316172_1735841_n.jpg

I hope it's okay with Hollowpoint that I post the Tutorial here:
Hollowpoint said:
Well, after a long wait. I have finally got a crate tutorial for you.

Items needed:
White glue
Xacto knife and hobby saw
Metal Straight edge
Popsicle sticks
Tongue Depressors (TD)
1 Box: 4" deep, 6,1/4" wide and 4,1/2" tall.

First thing to do is make sure the box is squared. If not, you will end up with a crooked mess of a crate.

Remove the top flaps of the box. Leave the bottom alone.
Measure out 12 TD's to the length of your box. Mine turned out to be a touch longer than my TD's but it turnout perfectly. Glue them to the side of the box. Be sure that the box sits flush with your working surface. And glue the TD's flush with the work surface and the bottom of the box. Let the set and them repeat for the other side. Be sure to let the glue set before beginning the next step.
cratetutorial1.jpg

Hollowpoint said:
Pic of completed side.
cratetutorial2.jpg

Hollowpoint said:
Next, measure and cut 12 more TD to the size of the end of the crate. Be sure to measure flush with the TD's already attached to the box. Glue them in place and again, allow the glue to set.
cratetutorial3.jpg

Hollowpoint said:
The edgers of the crate should now look like this.
cratetutorial4.jpg

Hollowpoint said:
Now cut 8 TD's to the height of your crate as it is now. Glue them in place so that they are flush with the bottom of the crate. They should form a sharp corner. Hobby clamps will help in this step as the box you use may have bulging sides. The corner should look like this.
cratetutorial5.jpg

Hollowpoint said:
Now take 4 TD's and cut them in half length-wise. These will form the top and bottom frames of the crate sides and ends. Measure and cut to fit them in between the vertical ends. Cut one more TD the same way and measure it to fit as the cross brace. Cut 45 degree angles in the end so it fits into the corners. A regular popsicle stick can be used for the crate ends cross brace.
cratetutorial6.jpg

Hollowpoint said:
The Top: You have 2 options for this. It can be permanent or or removable.
Permanent: Just flip the crate overand measure and cut your TD's the same as you would a side. Frame it the same way also.

Removable: Measure out the top of the crate, front to back. Cut 2 TD's to that size. Measure the length of your crate. Set the 2 previously cut TD's at that distance. Take 6 TD's and glue them to the 2 ends.
cratetutorial10.jpg

Hollowpoint said:
Should look like this
cratetutorial7.jpg

Hollowpoint said:
Now flip the it over and Frame it the same as you would a side. Your crate is almost done and should look like this.
cratetutorial8.jpg

Hollowpoint said:
The bottom should be accessable to a 1/6th forklift. So to do this, Measure the bottom of the crate, front to back. Cut 9 popsicle sticks to this length and glue 3 sets of 3 together. Then gluie them to the bottom. The 2 end ones should be about 1/2" away from the edge of the crate. The third just gets placed in the middle.
cratetutorial9.jpg

Hollowpoint said:
Voila! Your crate is ready to be decorated and weathered any way you see fit. I hope this tutorial was a use to someone.

awesome posts! that tutorial is great. I will definately follow that for the bigger pieces of the display and then top it off with 1 or 2 of the plastic cases.

thanks guys.

Thanks again for the tutorial. Here is an early pic of my first crate. I made a small one for quick practice.
I have a couple of those mortars and it is a good size for those. I need to weather the crate a bit and maybe stamp some stuff onto it yet. Also like the idea of the cobra emblem. need to make a stencil for that. where do i get that thinly shredded paper?

Back