If Sideshow updated their bodies, what improvements would you like to see?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinLuck

Super Freak
Reaction score
Ok, I think we already know about the arms. ;)

Other things I would like to see:

1) Ankle joint with foot inversion.

2) Ball jointed wrists with a secure hand-to-wrist connection.

Foot inversion is actually at the top of my list because without it, the feet can't lay flat on the ground in a majority of poses. If this joint was made stiff and sturdy, it would allow figures to stand on their own two feet more often without a stand to support them. Again, the inversion joint needs to be sturdy to prevent slippage and causing the joint to move under the figure's own weight.

Please add your own wishlists :)

Wor-Gar said:
I'd like to see longer arms.

:monkey4 :monkey4 :monkey4 Man, you took my joke!!!!!!!!!!! :monkey4 :monkey4 :monkey4

The only real improvement I would like, working shoulder blades and shoulders. Everything else is fine.

I think the new hand pin is a little too weak. Luke's hands come off when I try to pose him.

I'd like to see a ball socket foot joint for full range foot movement.

My biggest complaint is the hip joints. The gap between the crotch piece and the top of the leg is too big. The costume pulls in at the hip area really hampering the look of the figure (sans vest and cloak).

I think they could pull some good ideas from BBI G3.5 body and the current Medicom body on how to add articulation. I love SST's stuff, there is no reason that can't be the best out there.

I like the hip joint because it adds a fuller range of movement for the legs. You can bring the knee higher, which is important for kneeling.

I'd like to see more definition in the musculature. And an ass.

Customikey said:
I like the hip joint because it adds a fuller range of movement for the legs. You can bring the knee higher, which is important for kneeling.

I'd like to see more definition in the musculature. And an ass.

and an ass.............:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

lol, my usual broken record of a reply on this topic... ;)

My biggie is the neck articulation; I want a full up down and tilt - that little bit of posing just gives soooooo much more character to a figure than just looking straight forward.

Others (besides the whole arm/proportion thing)

Ball Jointed Ankles - a big yes, and for those figures in boots, perhaps go the whole hog and have Cool-Girl-esque boot feet. They make posing, and balancing, figures a sheer delight.

Hip Joint - That gap has to go, but it's been bugging me since their Frankie and Wolfman; can't see a redesign coming there and doesn't inspire me with confidence about it coming elsewhere either :(

Improved wrists - something along the lines of the BBI/Cool Girl type; same amount of articulation as SSC, but a hell of a lot prettier.

Loose the forearm joint.

And do something about their female hip joints to allow the thighs to touch/legs to cross.

Nick

You know, I wonder if it would be possible to make the body as some kind of skeleton with a latex body suit over it, so that it would have continuous skin and be more sturdy without thinking about how the joints look. Plus that would be a solution for the Aayla/Slave Leia and possibly the Chewbacca figures. Only drawback is that it's possible for the latex to wear out and then the figure would be useless.

darthviper107 said:
You know, I wonder if it would be possible to make the body as some kind of skeleton with a latex body suit over it, so that it would have continuous skin and be more sturdy without thinking about how the joints look. Plus that would be a solution for the Aayla/Slave Leia and possibly the Chewbacca figures. Only drawback is that it's possible for the latex to wear out and then the figure would be useless.

Another drawback is that if the joints become loose, you will be unable to fix them. I've no particular interest in latex flesh over an articulated skeleton. Inevitably the issue if the skeleton not being able to withstand the weight of the costume, head, and accessories comes up, along with the body and head not matching up in color or texture. I've seen the BBI female with this, and it looked to me like she was wearing a funky leotard.

darthviper107 said:

They could do it....but definitely not at this price range...are you willing to pay 80-100$ for each new star wars figures...????

Shaihulud said:
They could do it....but definitely not at this price range...are you willing to pay 80-100$ for each new star wars figures...????

At that price, I'd only get two or three. And none of them would be the ones have on order already.

You know, if it was of that quality I would seriously consider paying that much. I'm sure that you guys would be appritiative of that kind of body. Of course, with that much work the figures would be more limited, maybe they could start a new line, the Star Wars Superiour Format Line:cool:

For the quality, I would be interested too.

I avoid the PFs not necessarily because of price, but because of their sheer size and lack of articulation. I want the highest quality 1/6 figures possible. And no, Medicom certainly does not provide this. That is a fine example of how price does not always indicate quality. But if Sideshow figures look this good at $50, imagine how amazing they could look at $100.

Guess you guys didn't see the SST 12" Creature, which is pretty much what you're discussing. He looks great, but is a bit lacking as far as poseability is concerned. Quite simply, his rubber suit binds. Still a great figure, though. As to body updates, I see 2 points to correct...
1. The tiny feet and weak ankles. 'Nuff said...
2. The shoulders on the big-boy body. There is an 'overhang' that restricts rotation-it has to go!
As I think on it, the neck could use some work, too...PS

Well I got my Hot Toys Terminator yesterday, and if there was a body I was wanting SS to mimick it would be theirs. Pretty beefy and nice movement. The wrist's are kinda iffy, but SS could just adapt theres to it.

EVILFACE said:
Well I got my Hot Toys Terminator yesterday, and if there was a body I was wanting SS to mimick it would be theirs. Pretty beefy and nice movement. The wrist's are kinda iffy, but SS could just adapt theres to it.

Mmm....beefy.....:drool

I'd like it if the waist was a straight cut joint. THe one they have is a bit wonky. Combine that with a good balljoint midtorso, and you've got an excellent range. The current incarnation of the torso is a bit odd, and doesn't hold poses incredibly well.

EVILFACE said:

the new hot toys body is kinda a slim version of the bbi G3 body.
except the bbi body has a better shoulder joint.

i really wish sideshow would adopt the ball joint, removable neck setup both those bodies have.

Well i don't really see any similarities with the G3, The HT body has far better elbows and knees, the mentioned shoulders and a far better neck that isn't 5 feet long.

EVILFACE said:
Well i don't really see any similarities with the G3, The HT body has far better elbows and knees, the mentioned shoulders and a far better neck that isn't 5 feet long.

it's almost like hot toys used the bbi body as their prototype. yes, the hot toys elbows and knees have a better range of motion, but the bodies are very similar.

same type of neck attachment, same kind of hip attachment, same shoulder attachment(except the hot toys version can't raise it's arms parallel to the ground.) both have the removable feet too.

i think with exception of the short wrist posts and the limited shoulder articulation, the hot toys body is really nice.

Back