How many would have bought the throne if it had been made of durable plastic?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinLuck

Super Freak
Reaction score
The throne sure does look like a nice complementary display piece in Sean's awesome photographs. But I simply could not justify the $140 price tag for a hollow polystone chair with a fragile swivel base that might break in the future.

For me to spend $140 on a toy throne, it would need to be constructed of high quality, durable plastic, have battery operated LED lights, and a metallic version of Luke's saber hilt that could attach to a magnet hidden inside the arm rest.

What do you guys think?

Something as small as the throne I could do without electronics. Really I don't care what it is made of. I care how it looks. If it would have still looked as good but made of cheaper (but more durable material) then yeah, I would have gone for it.

I'm still getting it at some point, but plastic and cheaper would have been preferred. Might have eliminated all this breakage. I just got HT's Tech Mech Stark and the robot arm looks fine in plastic. I'm sure the throne would have looked good too. Shoot, the Don's chair looks good in plastic!

I would have been good with however it was done as long as it looked good. And it does in polystone form so I bought it. I have no issue with it.

Sure, but it didn't happen and won't so what's the point :huh

To state our preference? Who knows, maybe Sideshow might even listen (although I doubt it).

Personally, I don't understand why things like the throne have to be made of polystone. They should be able to make something that looks and feels identical (except for the weight) by using plastic, and charge only a fraction of the price. Of course, I'm not sure that Sideshow wants to do that, considering that people are apparently willing to pay the higher price for polystone.

Sure, but this has been hashed out before and new stuff continues to be made of polystone. Don't know if its a 100% preference from Sideshow, or directive from LFL; either way it doesn't seem to change.

The one item like this that wasn't like this (but was initiall listed as made of polystone) was the Holo-Emporer and it was a major fail :lol

was the spiderchair going to be made of poly? i don't recall that.

polystone is great, imo.

i just don't think people should be duped into getting hollow pieces at prices that should be for solid polystone.

i cancelled mine because I didn't want to pay for something which wouldn't be used for a few months until the emperor came out. i figure it could be found elsewhere for less anyway.

since it came out hollow I'm really left wondering if there is even a point to ordering it unless I can get it for $50 or something silly.

Sure, but this has been hashed out before and new stuff continues to be made of polystone. Don't know if its a 100% preference from Sideshow, or directive from LFL; either way it doesn't seem to change.

The one item like this that wasn't like this (but was initiall listed as made of polystone) was the Holo-Emporer and it was a major fail :lol

Wasn't the Indy Idol Chamber dio that came with Belloq plastic? Still added $60 to the price.

Wasn't the Indy Idol Chamber dio that came with Belloq plastic? Still added $60 to the price.

No, it's the same polystone.

I think some are missing the point here- we'd prefer that Sideshow offered cheaper styrene plastic environment accessories rather than the polystone stuff. The polystone stuff is designed to mimic statuary, thus they can charge a higher price for it.

They also can probably produce smaller runs doing polystone, however, but it IS possible to make things in styrene for small runs at a decent price. And styrene can look far better than the polystone.

Styrene items would be much less expensive, AND customizable (and easier and less expensive to ship).

If Sideshow were making the polystone items because it costs them less to do so (as compared to styrene) then why doesn't the pricing reflect that? Because it's "art" (or at least that's how they are trying to market it, and the weight of the items does give that impression).

The point of this thread, I imagine, was just to call attention to the fact that we'd love more environment pieces, but the price points are laughably high. Go styrene. It would be much better on several levels.

Sean

Last edited:
Ultimately what we're talking about here is price. Most people don't object to polystone per se (although it does seem unnecessarily fragile for something like this) -- they just want these pieces to be more affordable.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda...seems like spilled milk to me. And I bought the throne. But I do agree SSC needs to give up this polystone obsession.

I'd never heard of polystone before I got my exclusive Thrawn with the command chair (aka dry run for the Emperor's throne...) I don't dislike it, but it's got some issues. Sure, plastic breaks too, but I don't think the price point would be near as high. Plus, I don't know about you guys, but to me, the polystone REEKS. I got Thrawn's chair ages ago, and it's still detoxing in my spare room. I also ended up with some instant paint transfer from the chair to the back of Thrawn's uniform, and have no idea what to do about it. I guess the good news there is that if it happens again with the Emperor, at least he's not wearing white, so it won't show...

I would definitely have still bought the throne if it had been made of plastic, but I sure wouldn't have paid as much for it. I'm kind of kicking myself for paying full price for the polystone throne, but it does look cool.

Back