apple cider vinegar

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quiggle

Super Freak
Reaction score
I suffer from GERD and a friend recently suggested I give apple cider vinegar a try, take a tablespoon several times a day. have any of you used this to treat heartburn before, and what are the positives/negatives of using this? thanks!

I suffer from GERD and a friend recently suggested I give apple cider vinegar a try, take a tablespoon several times a day. have any of you used this to treat heartburn before, and what are the positives/negatives of using this? thanks!

This helps ALOT of things! I can't get past the taste of it to drink it like that.

hmm. honestly sounded like bad advice to this common sense person because apples and vinegar are both acidic. but i just googled it and appears it may work. here's an article.
https://www.ehow.com/how_5388685_use-vinegar-relieve-heartburn-symptoms.html.

My chiropractor says that in most cases, the lack of acid in the system causes GERD or acid reflux. It doesn't make sense, but I know quite a few people who swear by it. I have several girlfriends who put two tablespoons in a bottle of water everyday. Some even give it to their pets.

It's best to use the organic, or at least the undistilled.

This helps ALOT of things! I can't get past the taste of it to drink it like that.

My chiropractor says that in most cases, the lack of acid in the system causes GERD or acid reflux. It doesn't make sense, but I know quite a few people who swear by it. I have several girlfriends who put two tablespoons in a bottle of water everyday. Some even give it to their pets.

It's best to use the organic, or at least the undistilled.

i get gerd on occassion. i drink a lot of mountain dew and beer, lol. so its probably the caffeine or carbonation or something that causes it rather than the acid content. i don't know. but i'll be trying this remedy for sure.

thanks everyone for the suggestion, I will give the undistilled one a try. also how often do you take this? and has anyone tried the pill form before and would it be just as effective?

It is excellent for a lot of things! I use it to prevent and treat tonsillitis! Just gargle and swallow.

But CAUTION!!! This stuff will eat the enamel off your teeth, so brush after use.

As others have said good ACV is good for a lot of things.

This one is the best:
Braggs_Cider_Vinegar.31445839_std.JPG

Last edited:
As others have said good ACV is good for a lot of things.

This one is the best:
Braggs_Cider_Vinegar.31445839_std.JPG

Yup! You want one that says with the Mother on it! It's cloudy, but if you can't find that, just get the undistilled.....and definately not the white!

I'm going to order one of those from Amazon, thanks - besides eroding enamel, are there any other negative effects of using apple cider vinegar? can it erode the lining of the espophagus/stomach?

I hope not! That would kind of defeat the purpose of treating GERD! :horror :lol

No, no negative side-effects, only positive.

It is recommended that you dilute a tablespoon or 2 into a half a cup of water. Add a little honey if you want...

And although vinegar is acidic, after it is digested it leaves an alkaline ash therefore balancing your pH. And I have never heard that it eats enamel...

i've used it, and from my experience:

POSITIVE: it really REALLY REALLY helps the heartburn.
NEGATIVE: it tastes absolutely disgusting.

Actually that Braggs stuff is pretty good.

He makes a few products I like.

This is good stuff. Can be used to treat issues with your scalp, which is the reason I first started using it. It tastes disgusting, but well worth the trouble.

related to this, maybe, has anyone with gerd ever felt like their throat had something stuck in it?

it comes and goes, but sometimes it feels like a piece of popcorn is stuck there. really dry, but nothing clears out when i cough. i wonder if its mental, that "lump in throat" thing. i may ask my doctor for a scope. i've had it for a few months now.

related to this, maybe, has anyone with gerd ever felt like their throat had something stuck in it?

it comes and goes, but sometimes it feels like a piece of popcorn is stuck there. really dry, but nothing clears out when i cough. i wonder if its mental, that "lump in throat" thing. i may ask my doctor for a scope. i've had it for a few months now.

I'm really glad you asked. :)

I have had this off and on for much of my adult life. Sometimes only for a couple days or weeks, and the longest stretch was well over a year.

For a long time all I could find on line about it was references to "globulous hystericus" which is defined as "A sensation as of having a lump or ball in the throat, symptomatic of hysteria." In other words 'it's all in your head.'

I was never satisfied by that.

A couple years ago I finally came across an article that described what is happening in real physiological terms. I think it was this one:

https://www.nexiumresearch.com/cricopharyngeal_spasm.html

But if you type "cricopharyngeal spasm" into google, you'll get quite a few hits.

Also, this video was very helpful:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/DkejK6eiHeo?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/DkejK6eiHeo?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

^^^Getting an explanation like that made all the difference for me. I am a massage therapist so the concept of 'hyper tonicity' is very very familiar to me. It makes total sense that a hyper tonic muscle would cause this system. And just recognizing that it's a tight muscle makes it much easier to deal with because 1) you know that it's not dangerous, and 2) you know it will get better.

I have done very well with treating my own cricopharyngeal spasm. Here are a few things I do to get rid of it:

• Relax! I know that sounds obvious, but it really works. If it becomes unbearable I will actually lay down on my side and consciously relax all my neck muscles, letting my wind pipe sag. I may even take a nap.
  • Drink hot liquids. Have a nice cup of tea in the evening. Heat reduces tone.
  • This is the big one: Eat lots of healthy snacks.

I always have a bag of walnuts and raisons on hand at work. When you chew that combination up it makes a hardy bolus to swallow, and as is mentioned in that video, each time you swallow something solid the cricopharyngeus is forced to relax. So eating is literally Physical Therapy for that muscle. Now whenever I start to feel this problem coming back I make sure to have a mouthful or two of nuts and raisons every hour of so, and it goes away in a day or two. :)

As to what causes it, no one knows for sure. I believe it can be a byproduct of stress, as people hold tension in different areas of their body. And often it is probably related to GERD. If for some reason (such as a hiatal hernia) acid is making it past the first line of defense where the stomach meets the esophagus, the body will adapt by tightening the cricopharyngeus muscle in order to keep the acid from going further (into your mouth).

Of course, I don't know if this is your problem. The part about dryness in your throat isn't exactly the way I would describe it, but perceptions can vary. However, if it gets worse as the day goes along and is temporarily relieved by eating it's very likely that this is what you have.

One more piece of good news. If you feel something off about your throat it is almost certainly not cancer because those kind of lumps are not usually felt. That said, If you try some of the things I suggested (especially the snacking thing) and it doesn't improve I would definitely see a MD. [That's my mandatory disclaimer. ;)]

Let me know how it goes. :)

:peace

NEGATIVE: it tastes absolutely disgusting.

That is the reason why I cannot stand vinegar of any kind! I've been told by a few people that I should try apple cider vinegar too, but I just cannot stomach it. That smell....makes me gag. I too, get bad heartburn so I wish I could try this apple stuff but it's simply not possible for me.

Kudos to anyone who can stomach the stuff enough to drink it!

Back