Question about Display Cabinets

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vareika

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi All - I have a question - I am going to buy a glass-door cabinet (such as the detolf from Ikea) and was wondering how/what should I do with lighting. Do you guys install some kind of light within the cabinet itself?

Or in general I am looking for advice / suggestions - this will be my first display cabinet.

Thanks!

If the cabinet has glass shelving it isn't totally necessary but if not, then you will really need something. Home depot has some lighting kits that you can check out.

Get a detolf from Ikea. Go down to their marketplace and get the white LED puck lights. They have one set of four with adhesives. I put one puck light above each shelf, and run the cords down the back. Works brilliantly! Done. :)

Get a detolf from Ikea. Go down to their marketplace and get the white LED puck lights. They have one set of four with adhesives. I put one puck light above each shelf, and run the cords down the back. Works brilliantly! Done. :)

l dont trust those stupid adhesives on those puck light tho,those lights almost cost me $500 when one of the lights came unstuck fell and knocked off the hand on my lurtz,thank god no damage but l dont trust those lights with factory adhesives,so l also added my own supper duty strong to way tape on the lights for extra stickyness l would consider doing that.

My Detolf's had the cut outs for the light cord to pass through so I just zipped in 2 screws in each of the lights to the top of the cabinet and ran the cord down the back as well.

The lights I used are the "Non's" from Ikea. Be warned though, you get two in a pack but unless you are putting your cases side by side the cord won't reach to connect both of them.

I had to buy another set just to get another AC adapter so I could plug mine other case in as they don't sit very close together.

Here's what the lighting will look like...

DioramaDetolfAll1.jpg

Wow really impressed with the setup and the different "grounds" or backgrounds however its called. Whats the missing section reserved for? Or is it empty for artistic reasons =P

Hey guys, definitely didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I appreciate the comments!

I'm going to be posting more images of my set-up eventually once its finished --that's why that one shelf is empty--there's also a fourth detolf now just to the right of those featuring 4 additional scenes. Although its really WWII heavy I think it will be appreciated around here... in the meantime a couple of detail shots...

PacificDetolf02.jpg

DIORAMASECRETMEETING2.jpg

DioramaDetolf08.jpg

/hijack thread mode off ;)

/hijack on briefly

Yeah you should definitely make your own thread somewhere for all your pics, especially when you get the other Detolf.

/off

Just to clarify, Wake - you have a dioder above each shelf, correct? Not just in the top?

Just to clarify, Wake - you have a dioder above each shelf, correct? Not just in the top?

That's correct. One Dioder above each shelf. Cables run digonally to the rear post on the right then cable tied along the post all the way up to the opening in the top.

They look really good when all lit.

Here's what the lighting will look like...

DioramaDetolfAll1.jpg

Hey guys, definitely didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I appreciate the comments!

I'm going to be posting more images of my set-up eventually once its finished --that's why that one shelf is empty--there's also a fourth detolf now just to the right of those featuring 4 additional scenes. Although its really WWII heavy I think it will be appreciated around here... in the meantime a couple of detail shots...

PacificDetolf02.jpg

DIORAMASECRETMEETING2.jpg

DioramaDetolf08.jpg

Wow, really nice and I love all the display stuff you have on each shelf. I've seen pics of stuff like that here and there in someone's display but since yours is themed all the same it makes it even better. Nice job. :offtopic: :lol

BACK ON TOPIC,....

Vareika do you have an Ikea close to you? If so, man you are lucky...I had to order my 2 on Ebay...MUCH more expensive then buying them locally....lucky ducks! :lol

oops I just posted this comment in another thread - but yah...I do have an Ikea around 20 miles from me but I went this weekend with the intention of bringing home a detolf with those lights as you guys suggested...but I failed.

Long story short, I had experience carrying home a 110 lb punching bag and lets just say the experience was bad, when I found out how long and heavy these detolfs were I decided not to get it. First of all, it would be hard to fit into my car, and 2nd, I would have an extremely hard time getting it up two flights of stairs without dropping them at one point or another...

darn! any alternative cabinet/shelf recommendations? I really just want my figures to not be in constant "dust"...so frustrating.

You could have them delivered by Ikea for about $100 although that pretty much tripples the cost of one (doubles the cost if you buy two).

Ikea sells a small blue handcart (for 40$)that works really well for for transporting them. I've bought 4 and got them home this way. I have elevators at my place though so that makes it easier. You could also get a friend (with an SUV prefferably) To go with you. Just buy them lunch.

You could have them delivered by Ikea for about $100 although that pretty much tripples the cost of one (doubles the cost if you buy two).

Ikea sells a small blue handcart (for 40$)that works really well for for transporting them. I've bought 4 and got them home this way. I have elevators at my place though so that makes it easier. You could also get a friend (with an SUV prefferably) To go with you. Just buy them lunch.

yes , and lunch at ikea is cheap , just $1 for a hot dog.

Back