What are you reading? (DC Comics edition)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent December

Super Freak
Reaction score
Fighting for freedom wherever there's trouble
The Marvel kids have this thread in their board so I thought I would open one here for DC fans. Fell free to post recommendations and reviews as well. So, what's on your pull list? Here's what I'm currently reading

Regular titles
Batman
Batman and Robin
Detective Comics
Batman:Streets of Gotham
Red Robin
Batgirl
Gotham City Sirens
Powergirl

Limited titles
Blackes Night titles
Arkham Reborn
Superman: Secret Origin (my current favorite read)

smsocv3varcopy.jpg

I know Superman origin has been done a million times but this new take by Johns and Frank is outstanding, I got chills in issue 2 when Lois falls of the Lexcorp building and you turn the page to the amazing splash page of Clark ripping his shirt open revealing the Superman suit underneath. Gary is knocking it out of the park with every panel he draws. Great read.

Any opinions on EARTH 1 yet? It sounds intriguing but I just gotta ask, ANOTHER earth DC? really?

Last edited:
Re: What's on your pull list? (DC Comics edition)

Hey IC:

Although I am not the biggest DC collector, my staples are:

Wonder Woman (Gail Simone is telling the absolute best WW stories ever)
Green Lantern
Madame Xanadu (Vertigo line) (Matt Wagner is amazing)
Unwritten (amazing can't wait til the next issue)
Secret Six
Power Girl
Batman and Robin (bought them, haven't read them yet)

So there you have it. My must reads are not DC...Sword and Terry Moore's Echo - superb.

Cheerio.

Totally agree with you Incurable Collector! The Geoff Johns/Gary Frank Superman series is amazing. Great stories combined with some of Gary's best work of his career. I thought he would never top his Hulk run, but this one tops it by a mile. Amazing how he is able to nail Christopher Reeve's image in every panel.

Regular Titles
Batman
Batman and Robin
Detective Comics
Batgirl
Action Comics
Superman
Supergirl
Adventure Comics
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
JSA
JSA All Stars
JLA
Teen Titans
Green Arrow Black Canary

Limited Series
Blackest Night
Blackest Night Superman/Batman/Wonderwoman/Flash/JSA
Blackest Night 8 one shot revived books
Justice Leauge Cry for Justice
Superman Secret Origin
World's Finest
World Of New Krypton

Can't stand Robinson actually and plan to drop the book before his new team comes into play. I don't mind Bagley's art don't love it as I don't think it fits as well as it did with Ultimate Spiderman but its not horrible.

Regular:
Batman and Robin
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps

Limited:
Blackest Night Titles

Oh YEAH! The ladies are coming back in 2010!

bop01cover600cmyk7sm.jpg

:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock

My list is:

Batman
Batman & Robin
Detective Comics
Red Robin
Batgirl
Streets of Gotham
Gotham City Sirens
Outsiders
Titans

I've got all of Blackest Night too (minus one-shots), and I'm all ready for First Wave. The thing is, I haven't read an issue since R.I.P. Still haven't read Final Crisis.

I recently added JSA and JLA to my list too. I really like JSA but JLA is really hard to like. The writing is....I can't put my finger on it, erratic, back and forth, I dunno just not diggin the writing, the line-up, or the art. Not to say that Bagley's are is bad, it's just not a good fit for a JLA title. His art is just wayy too cartoony. I don't know what the logic for this art/writing team on JLA on DC's part but Bagley's art is better suited for something like Teen Titans or Adventure Comics.

I'm also anxiously awaiting Zatanna's ongoing by Paul Dini and Stephane Roux

zata1146001.jpg

That's going on the pull list no questions asked!

I'm also anxiously awaiting Zatanna's ongoing by Paul Dini and Stephane Roux

zata1146001.jpg

That's going on the pull list no questions asked!

Damned right it is.

I don't follow JLA monthly, but I do keep up with TPB's. I think I'm going to get up to the end of BN/Cry for Justice, but that's where I'm drawing the line. The idea of seeing Starfire and Nightwing on the team is tempting, but not tempting enough.

Anyone else following the "Fall of Green Arrow" storyline? Pretty good read in case you haven't picked it up. Ollie has always had one foot planted on the side of justice and the other foot just slightly in the ambiguous side of the law so it'll be interesting to see where Ollie is headed with this story line. In case you haven't kept up, here's the rundown

Spoiler Spoiler:

Agree with the storyline or not, you have to admit that it's got people talking about Green Arrow and that hasn't happened in a while. Can't wait to see where this goes and Roy's recovery both physical and mental. thoughts?

I've got the "Fall of Green Arrow" storyline on my pull list now. Been holding off reading them until Blackest Night ends. Read all of Cry for Justice and despite the artwork which went from great to absolutely crappy at times, it wasn't bad. Still that series started off and was supposed to go one direction and then ended up going a completely different one. As right now here's my pull list...

LONG RUNNING:
Action Comics
Superman
Batman
Detective Comics
Batman & Robin
JLA
JSA
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps

LIMITED:
Blackest Night (all titles)
Last Stand on New Krypton (all titles)
Fall of Green Arrow
Return of Bruce Wayne (all titles)

Anyone else following the "Fall of Green Arrow" storyline? Pretty good read in case you haven't picked it up. Ollie has always had one foot planted on the side of justice and the other foot just slightly in the ambiguous side of the law so it'll be interesting to see where Ollie is headed with this story line. In case you haven't kept up, here's the rundown

Spoiler Spoiler:

Agree with the storyline or not, you have to admit that it's got people talking about Green Arrow and that hasn't happened in a while. Can't wait to see where this goes and Roy's recovery both physical and mental. thoughts?

I got my son a subscription to Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam, and we pick up the Tiny Titans tpb's when they're released.

When Green Arrow reboots I'll get those tpb's too, but that's not really a pull list item.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I don't like the later incident happening to Roy, not because I mind these characters being put through the ringer but more....

Spoiler Spoiler:

I don't like the later incident happening to Roy, not because I mind these characters being put through the ringer but more....

Spoiler Spoiler:

That's a real valid point Mr. ? Roy was definitely one of a handful of heroes that had a "normal" offspring and for her to die like that is what (I think) threw Ollie over the edge. I also think Ollie saw her death as a personal failure, and after what happened to Roy and Star City, he's just finally snapped. Put yourself in his shoes and imagine what you would do. I do like the fact that they are taking GA back to his roots and making him DC's Robin Hood though and it's going to be interesting to see how he interacts with the rest of the "straight shooters" namely Batman (Once Bruce gets back) who's whole philosophy is upholding the law no matter the cost. I also wish they didn't feel the need start his series over yet again. The current run is in the mid 30's, do we really need to restart? Same with Flash. Oh, and Birds of Prey lol

Well another week and another round of comics. Picked up Powegirl, Streets of Gotham, Green Lantern 52 and JLA: Rise of Arsenal.

Rise of Arsenal was the issue I was most looking forward to and after reading it I came away with mixed feelings. Overall good issue, it had a quick recap of Arsenal's bout with Prometheus, really sad and touching panels with Roy looking at his daughter's body in a morgue, and the rest of the JLA trying to help Roy anyway they can. The last few pages is where things go south for me. Now, we all know Roy's most famous storyline was the drug use issues (Green Lantern vol. 2, #85-86) back in the 70's. That was what? 30 some odd years ago? Yet here we go again, there are hints all over the issue that Roy is yearning drugs again. I suppose on the one hand some would argue drug use is a lifetime struggle but on the other hand it's been 30 years DC, it's time to move on with Roy's life and put all that mess behind him. Surely writers can come up with some original material to further Roy's character without having to go back to a story that happened 30 years ago? What did you all think?

I have cut back so much on comics because the storylines were getting so ridiculous, half the time I don't recognize some of my favourite characters. the only regular pull for me is
Unwritten
Wonder Woman
Secret Six

I see 2/3 of your pulls are written by Gail. Are you jumping ship on WW now that's she's leaving?

I'll be sad when she leaves since she is the best to tackle wonder woman in a loooooong time, but I'll stick around cause I loves me some WW, if they change Lopresti, I might skip a few issues.

Back