IMPORTANT QUESTION FOR SIDESHOW....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vonhahn

Super Freak
Reaction score
How long does Sideshow have the 12" scale license to make figures? The podcast at review Star Wars is saying that it is only through 2006 and that after that it will be going back to Hasbro in 2007. At 16 min. of the podcast (also has an interview with Steve Sansweet) they say that Sideshow may be losing thier license at the end of the year. Any truth to this rumor? This can be heard at https://www.reviewstarwars.com/ at 16 min. into the cast.

Pretty sure that's completely wrong. The exact length of the license is unknown but the Sideshow reps have been talking in terms of years and years. They've already mentioned doing even more figures in 2007.

Yeah, it may be based on the original timeline of the license agreement. But I believe with the success of the line that there shouldn't be any problems with renewing the license.

This is the way I have understood the situation anyway.

Yea I hope you are both correct, I just hope a sideshow rep is able to give us some details.

based on the podcast you linked to, the people didn't really seem to know anything definate. one rumor said the license was only for 2006, then they said hasbro wanted the license back, then they said we may see a 12 inch sideshow and 12" hasbro line at the same time.:confused:

i recall in the sideshow podcast from a few weeks ago that tom from sideshow said they had the license for the foreseeable future.

i don't think sideshow would plan 5 different lines of 12" star wars figures if they only had the license for one year.

now, i would imagine hasbro is really feeling stupid now that they know there is this huge demand for quality 12" figures, and they are now seeing they really missed out.

captain sack said:
now, i would imagine hasbro is really feeling stupid now that they know there is this huge demand for quality 12" figures, and they are now seeing they really missed out.

I think Hasbro caters to a different clientel, and doesn't have or need the resources to produce 12" figures on this level. They're doing just fine, believe me. I doubt they're missing the license.

If I remember from teh podcast, they said indefinite. So they have no real idea of how long they have it. I hope they have the license for 1/6th collectible figures as long as they want. I'm sure if Hasblo was to put some out, it would not conflict with Sideshows Collectibles since they would be cheaper, mass produced and at you local Wallyworld.

Customikey said:
I think Hasbro caters to a different clientel, and doesn't have or need the resources to produce 12" figures on this level. They're doing just fine, believe me. I doubt they're missing the license.

hasbro does some stuff thru DC direct, like SGT. rock, that has been above their normal quality of stuff. plus, they are the 2nd biggest toy maker in the world. they have the resourses to do exactly what sideshow is doing if they wanted to. they easily could of opened up a direct sales internet wing of hasbro to make hi quality star wars merchandise.

and while sideshow's stuff looks great, i personally think hasbro was just a few steps away from being able to duplicate what sideshow is now doing. with just a few costume changes, a better body, and a better paint job, figures liike count dooku, jango fett and OTC boba fett could of been sideshow quality.

Hasbro didn't do the Sgt. Rock, that's a small company that just used the classic Joe bodies. And I think that the only reason Hasbro's name is on them is because of the bodies.

Despite the decent head sculpts on Dooku and Jango I think they were still very far away from SSC quality. And they showed by continuing to use the crappy bodies that they weren't really interested in improving the SW line.

This rumour that SS has the license for only 12-18 months could be true??
Maybe this is why we're seeing the SW 12" series released every 3 weeks. SS trying to get as many as they can out for pre-order??

WW :Wizard

Sideshow stated an indefinite tenure for the license in one of the early announcments, and from what I remember, Hasbro was never too keen on producing 1/6 scale stuff anyway. (Kinda hard to repaint or re-joint the same mold over and over!!:naughty) Sideshow also said somewhere that roughly nine figures would be released in 2006. Pre-Orders are often anywhere from two to six months in advance, so I would imagine that around late summer, we will be pre-ordering items for next year! As quick as the announcements are coming, the actual release dates are soooo far away!

As far as the high end GI JOE, those are done by Dreams and Visions, and Hasbro only supplied the name on the box!

Just to say what others have already said-

Our deal goes beyond 2006.

Expect a LOT of figures over the next few years.

:)

Thanks for clairifying. That should teach me to listen to strange rumors....

shaithis77 said:
Just to say what others have already said-

Our deal goes beyond 2006.

Expect a LOT of figures over the next few years.

:)

And a LOT of money disapearing from my pocket... UGH.

I still have hope of sticking to my ten figure limit. I only have so much space and money. This is going to get difficult, but it's made a bit easier by the fact that I'm not getting variants. I'm getting Jedi Luke, and that's all the Luke-ness I need.:cool:

Customikey said:
I still have hope of sticking to my ten figure limit.

I'm gonna remember you said this when you're trying to stick to your twenty figure limit. :wacky :p

Customikey said:
I still have hope of sticking to my ten figure limit.

ONLY TEN??? *counts on fingers* Ouch. Good luck with that. At first I was only gonna get the Jedi and Dooku and Maul, but then of course I had to do Vader even though he will be more expensive, which is why I did't include him in the first place, so I'm up to lightsaber wielding characters only. Until Leia and Han come out. *sigh* Oh, and I'll need another Luke (ideally a Bespin Luke, to go with a Bespin Leia, and Han, well I can't really recall one outfit from another (blue pants red stripes in ANH brown with yellow in ROTJ?)) since my Jedi Luke will be with the Jedi. So I wish you luck and hope you have more willpower than I.

Customikey said:
[...]I'm not getting variants.

Just curious, what about Obi-Wan, are you going for the ROTS and ANH since they are pretty different.
I am getting both. :banghead

Variants are tough for me... I only want one Han(ANH) but if they don't make that one first I may end up with two. I'll get ROTJ Boba Fett, and the Droids version if they make it(highly unlikely). Vader I only want one of, but I may end up with two depending how different they are. Obi Wan I want the AOTC and ANH versions. Luke I only want the X-Wing Pilot version of after the Jedi version.

Back