Twitter costs a Waiter his job

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Hollywood Waiter Claims Run-In With 'Hung' Star Cost Him His Job
Access Hollywood - October 6, 2009 2:51 PM PDT

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. -- A Hollywood waiter is claiming an encounter with "Hung" star Jane Adams cost him his job at a popular eatery.

Jon-Barrett Ingels, 31, claims Adams, who plays Tanya on the HBO series, visited celeb hot spot Barney Greengrass (the cafe on the fifth floor of Barneys New York in Beverly Hills) in July and "skipped out on a $13.44 check," he posted on his Twitter page earlier this summer.

"Her agent called and payed (sic) the following day. NO TIP!!!" he wrote on July 17.

And as it turns out, it was venting on his Twitter page that ultimately cost Ingels his job.

Ingels - who chronicled serving the likes of Tori Spelling, Ali Larter and "Office" stars B.J. Novak and Mindy Kaling on his Twitter page in the days after serving Adams -- documented the encounter on his personal blog, noting after he dropped off the check, Adams admitted she had forgotten her wallet in her car and asked if she could go out and grab it.

However, according to Ingels, Adams never returned. Instead, a rep for the actress called the restaurant offering to pay the tab, which was $13.75 - but left out the tip.

"Not a big deal to me financially but the principle of the thing was ridiculous. I put my neck on the line by letting her leave without paying and end up getting screwed," he wrote on his blog.

Yet, it wasn't the fact he let Adams leave without paying that would cost Ingels his job - but rather, Barney's corporate made the decision after finding his Twitter account and seeing his posts about the run-in.

Ingels said the company fired him after five years of employment.

"I understand they want to keep a safe environment for the celebrities and I think that I broke that safety," Ingels told AOL's Slashfood. "Had they come to me and said you need to take this down or change it to private, had I been told if you don't do this, you're going to lose your job -- I would've done that."

And while Ingels' story has garnered buzz online, with the now-out-of-work waiter giving interviews to various blog sites, it also apparently made its way back to Adams herself.

In an interview with The Los Angeles Times' Brand X column, Ingels said Adams returned to the restaurant a month later (prior to his termination) and "slapped three dollar bills on the table in front of him."

"Thank you so much. You didn't have to do this," Ingels recalled saying.

"Well, I read about it on Twitter!" he said Adams responded.

Despite the events that unfolded, Ingels appears not to hold any ill will towards the actress.

"For the record I think Jane Adams (Hung) is a great actress!!" he Tweeted on August 15.

"Need to thank Jane Adams! After she got me fired, I have had five uninterrupted days with my daughter!" he added on September 3.

A spokesperson for Barneys Corporate or Barney Greengrass was not immediately available for comment on the story when contacted by Access Hollywood. In addition, HBO had no comment on the report.

This is why I don't mess around with social networking sites. It has cost too many people their jobs.

I read about this a day or two ago. People need to get on board with the understanding that these public internet sites can be held against you easily and stop airing the dirty laundry on them...period.

I think it is funny how someone will post a video about how they broke the law and then scream "INVASION OF PRIVACY!!!!" when the cops get ahold of it and come after them for it.

This is why I don't mess around with social networking sites. It has cost too many people their jobs.

you are correct. i constantly have to delete photos of myself from my facebook page cause all of my unemployed friends cannot seem to understand that i have a "grown up" job now. lol. It was worse when i was in the military, everytime i was home on leave i inevitably had a pic taken of me that could have got me DD'ed

I would also include Facebood and MySpace into that category. :lol

Facebood? :lol

MySpace was almost immediately overrun by 15 minute fame seekers and tweens so that was pretty much lost. Facebook began with good intentions but then was perverted...Twitter IMHO is just Facebook Light especially since people usually just double post their tweets as their Facebook status changes.

That seems pretty shady to me. Unless he had to sign something that forbade him from talking about his work experiences. Or if he made up something that wasn't true, posted someones personal info or slandered someone. The company should have least warned him to not post on twitter. If I was him I would be seeking legal council and looking into a wrongful termination suit. :gun

I would also include Facebood and MySpace into that category. :lol

Facebook and myspace are incredibly stupid. I do like twitter though. it's like a mini blog. Twitter is like your inner voice that you can share with your friends.
Twitter also hold people accountable for their actions. Twitter is like a mini forum (like this place). it would be just as easy for an employer to get ahold of your posts on this forum and use it against you as it would be for them to get ahold of your twitter account. Actually it may be harder for them to get your twitter account then it would be for them to get this one. You don't need to be on their network to send a twitter update since you can do it on your cell phone.

Facebood? :lol

MySpace was almost immediately overrun by 15 minute fame seekers and tweens so that was pretty much lost. Facebook began with good intentions but then was perverted...Twitter IMHO is just Facebook Light especially since people usually just double post their tweets as their Facebook status changes.

I wonder what I was thinking about? :eek:

I don't do any of that stuff. I don't text message either, which I think it rather dumb the way most people do it. If you're going to sit for an hour text messaging someone back and forth, why not just call them?

I typically tip 15% at least but it ticks me off that the restaurant can lower they waiters/waitresses wages because it's accepted that people will leave tips...i guess it's the principal, I'm tipping you for doing your job..isn't your employer supposed to do that? Rant over.

I don't do any of that stuff. I don't text message either, which I think it rather dumb the way most people do it. If you're going to sit for an hour text messaging someone back and forth, why not just call them?

I thought the same way. However, my job entails speaking on the phone all day long. Texting is rather refreshing and I don't have to talk. I have no problem sending a few texts back and forth for a half hour or so. :lol

I typically tip 15% at least but it ticks me off that the restaurant can lower they waiters/waitresses wages because it's accepted that people will leave tips...i guess it's the principal, I'm tipping you for doing your job..isn't your employer supposed to do that? Rant over.

Yeah most servers make a little over $2 or $3 at most. Now don't even get me started on tips or commissions. I make commissions in my job and the government gets about 40% of everything I bring in. Now that pisses me off! I work hard to make my commissions and you tax the hell out of them the most. Most servers get killed by the government as well. That is if they report their tips accurately.

Twitter is quite possibly the dumbest thing to ever grace the internet.

There is nothing inherently dumb about social networking sites like Twitter. It is the people that make it dumb.

As for the waiter and the actress, they're both dumb.

I thought the same way. However, my job entails speaking on the phone all day long. Texting is rather refreshing and I don't have to talk. I have no problem sending a few texts back and forth for a half hour or so. :lol

Naked pics to your girlfriend doesn't count as texting. ;)

Yeah most servers make a little over $2 or $3 at most. Now don't even get me started on tips or commissions. I make commissions in my job and the government gets about 40% of everything I bring in. Now that pisses me off! I work hard to make my commissions and you tax the hell out of them the most. Most servers get killed by the government as well. That is if they report their tips accurately.

It is my understanding that minimum wage for servers is around $3.50. Some resturants pay more than that.

If I were going to be a waitress I'd either work in a high end place or a truck stop. High tips in both places.

Back