DIY Display case

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geil

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have been on this forum for less than two months now and I am so happy to have found and can be part of this community. Before I even got my first 1:6 I knew my true enemy was dust but The Tumbler really pushed me on to make something and in the last month I have successfully done so so here is what I have made so far.

casetumbler.jpg

Dimensions: 26"x34"x14" with 3/16" thick acrylic
casebruce.jpg

Dimensions: 9.5'x9.5"x14" with 3/16" thick acrylic
casexwing.jpg

Dimensions: 16"x16"x8" with 3/16" thick acrylic
batpod2.jpg

Dimensions: 26"x9.5"x9.5" with 3/16" thick acrylic
You can find all the resources I used and my inputs through my blog to attempt on your own as well https://geilsblog.blogspot.com/

Update:
I have finally made a case that is ready to be shipped and also resolved my concerns about shipping etc. and this is the latest result:
step1b.jpg

case4.jpg

Dimensions: 34"x26"x14" with 1/4" thick Cell Cast Acrylic YEAH!!
Please refer to this thread
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2286805#post2286805
and this
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64217

Last edited:
great work on the acrylic cases, geil. though i prefer the ones with the curved edges. are they hard to make?

great work on the acrylic cases, geil. though i prefer the ones with the curved edges. are they hard to make?

I would say making it is not hard ones you have all the tools and follow the instructions. But to make it nice is slightly more difficult and you really do need to create a strategy to make something that doesn't look crooked.
If you want to bend you need the strip heater for sure. You have to experiment with different temperatures to find the right one and then find the timing and I experimented with lots of scrap pieces before I was comfortable. I would say you need to be somewhat handy and have some tools already and have the existing DIY mentality :) When I make my next batch I will take more pictures and add to my blog

These are from Ikea, works really good and you can have 4 separate ones driven by the same power supply and switch but it is like C$50 vs stuff I have seen on ebay for cheaper but I am still waiting for some feedback to see if it is what you pay is what you get :p
But with my increasing number of figures and cases I will be getting another set from Ikea

Last edited:
and one last one for today :p Next one for myself will be a new Tumbler case and then of cause one for the Joker DX01 :D
marcus1.jpg

Looks good, i wanna try it but i use one a acrylic case for one of my wwii jackets, and the things are SOOOOOOOOO static, they are dust magnets!

yeah i been thinking of putting together a case like this for my small collection. i dont have a glass cabinet nor room to put one, so a smaller case like these would be great so ican sit it on my shelf with my figs inside, free from dust!!

Looks good, i wanna try it but i use one a acrylic case for one of my wwii jackets, and the things are SOOOOOOOOO static, they are dust magnets!

I only notice static at first when I remove the protective vinyl but after a ones over with Windex I dun think there is anymore static. There are many types of acrylic and molded ones are definitely different

Actually I have pseudo instructions online, it's in my signiture and I think I posted it here in this forum somewhere as well but I dunno where it is right now :p
It's not really a tutorial as cutting things to make a box is not really rocketscience :D But I listed all the acrylic specific processes on my blog. The main "issue" really is the cost of all the right tools and cost of the acrylic panels which when purchase in "retail" cost a lot. But to buy wholesale you gotto find the right supplier that is willing to sell you single panels which are for most intense and purposes too large (4'x8') to make just one case.
I have been providing advise to fellow freaks here as I am not running a business here, though it seems not everyone deserves my help it seems for at least one. I was laying down the exact same info as in this post and one freak became real rude thinking I am trying to force him to use my services :(

Back